Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Remote start for Manual Trans cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Remote start for Manual Trans cars

The new systems seem pretty clever, they require the car to be left in neutral and the ebrake on. The car stays running when you remove the key and shuts off when you close the door. Between the time you close the door and decide to use the remote start if the door is reopened the remote start will not work - this is a safety to ensure that the car is still in neutral and no one has moved the shift lever (which is why the motor runs till you get out and close the door). I guess you need to make sure the windows are rolled up as well!

One thing I don't like is that you rely entirely on the e-brake to hold the car parked. I park on a slope and if the brake let go, without the car in gear I'd be in big trouble. Chances of that happening are slim though and I suppose I could chock a wheel to feel better about it.

Would you trust it? Anyone have one on their manual trans equipped car? The snow and cold are coming and the daily driver sleeps outdoors.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the worst that could happen?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 AM
speedy1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default >

Had a car jump out of gear years ago, I tried to catch up to it before it hit a tree. Needless to say I didn't, and the collision with the tree destroyed my rear quarter panel; after that I never left my car in neutral.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

haha ok... point made. It is a safety risk, I'll deal with a few minutes of cold in the morning.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I would never rely on just the e-brake on a hill - EVER.

I have owned a car without a garage in cold weather for more than 10 years. I'm sure you can get by without a remote starter.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you ever think of having a few wood wedges cut or have a brick stationed near by, I did that as a safety on some of my remote start vehicles.

You can have one of those wedges made the post office uses on there vehicles, they use a piece of 4" inverted angle iron with a handle, they place it under one tire as they leave the vehicle, and pick it up as they enter.

A wedge with a handle.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
A wedge with a handle.
Golf club?

Get notified of new replies

To Remote start for Manual Trans cars