Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ZR1 vs Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
When it comes to looks regarding the Ford GT, it isn't subjective. It is the best looking car of all time. That is a fact. And as someone said previously, there isn't that large a performance gap.
Hardly the BEST looking car of all time since it is a REDESIGN of the ORIGINAL GT40. I would buy the fact that the GT40 MK series is classic and one of the top ten designs of ALL time
Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 PM
JR.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VY ZR1
Alot depends what you want to do with it......ZR1= easy comfortable daily driver......FGT= weekend cruiser and get alot of looks.

I own a 09 ZR1 and an 06 FGT.....I love both but the ZR1 is the perfect daily driver! If I could only keep one I would chose the ZR1
Originally Posted by BoatRacer
Couldn't agree more. I had an '06 Trungsten FGT. If all you want to do is look at it parked in a garage, then the FGT is the car to own. But, if you want to drive it then you'll always wish you were in a ZR1.

i figured that the ZR1 was one of the cars to have and keep. but in addition to the ZR1, i wanted to try a FGT.

can i ask what you guys didn't/don't like about the FGT?

i am not a museum guy. i like to drive em and burn some rubber.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 PM
JKV
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR1 or FGT

Have had many Vettes including (2) C6 Z06's that I liked very much. Very similar performance to a stock FGT. Passed on the opportunity to purchased a deeply discounted 200 mile ZR1 which had been "returned" to the dealer in perfect condition. The closest I have been to a moving ZR1 was on an interstate and the ZR1 ran like a fast 600cc bike, and my very modestly and inexpensively upgraded FGT ran away from it like it does against fast 600 cc bikes.
Opinions are like a$$holes, but any objective car person who prefers the looks of a ZR1 over a FGT is either on drugs or simply can not afford a FGT.
Try to think of another exotic that 5 years after it was built, is still typically worth the original MSRP.
Have always liked Corvettes and will probably buy a C7, but until then, and probably even then, if you want to ruin a Corvette Rally, pull up in a FGT.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

The two happiest days in a man's life, the day he buys his exotic and the day he sells it.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 AM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetteship
Have you looked at the 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO pricing lately ? One sold to a British TV/radio personality for close to the asking price of $20 Million, I think this one beats inflation
Back to the OP, easier to "live" with the ZR1 than with the F-GT, I have a ZO6 and an F-GT, it's always a challenge figuiring out where to park the GT when out to dinner, not so with the ZO6, seems trivial but in reality it's an issue. You must try to parrallel park otherwise you won't be able to get out of the GT . But at the end of the day, having an F-GT is like owning a piece of American history, the design is timeless, and there's lots of racing history behind the car. Needless to say I can't wait to upgrade my ZO6 to the ZR1

Yes, that car is a rarity, and those kinds of things are not commonplace as said in my post. If everyone knew that Ferrari would be worth 20 mil right now, I think it would have been a no-brainer. But it wasn't the case. Same with the Toyota 2000GT of 1967. Selling now for up to $375,000. Those are rarities. General rule of cars, they just aren't investments. There are always exceptions to the rule right?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Yes, that car is a rarity, and those kinds of things are not commonplace as said in my post. If everyone knew that Ferrari would be worth 20 mil right now, I think it would have been a no-brainer. But it wasn't the case. Same with the Toyota 2000GT of 1967. Selling now for up to $375,000. Those are rarities. General rule of cars, they just aren't investments. There are always exceptions to the rule right?

Actually there are many cars that go way up in value over the years, just look at American Muscle car prices, many bringing 20 to over 100's of times the original cost for the rarest ones from 40 years ago. There was an article about 5 years ago in Forbes magazine that collector cars over the past 35 years had out performed the stock market and home appreciation over the same time frame. A few examples being Hemi cars, Big Block C2 Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs and Cobra's and of course the GT40's and Daytona's, the ultra rare! Some of the rarest examples of each bring up to 100's of times their original cost, but there are plenty of other more common American Muscle cars that easily bring 20 to 30 times their original cost. I would say if you buy the right car and are young enough to wait for the appreciation a Ford GT could pay some nice divedends down the road, might even do nicely with a ZR1!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Problem is the USD is collapsing so I'm looking for cool investments that will hold their value, I hate losing $

So I guess I'll have to go for the GT then look for a ZR1 at a nicely reduced cost
buy gold that is what i do....
Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM
VY ZR1
Advanced

Originally Posted by JR.

i figured that the ZR1 was one of the cars to have and keep. but in addition to the ZR1, i wanted to try a FGT.

As I said before the ZR1 is the perfect daily driver......The FGT is fun to drive but you cant park it anywhere. IMHO the ZR1 is faster and more fun to drive too.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM
LS6-M22
Instructor

For an investment standpoint I bought my LS6 chevelle 10 years ago and today its worth 5 times what I paid in this bad economy.My situation was unique though.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM
LS6-M22
Instructor

Originally Posted by JKV
Opinions are like a$$holes, but any objective car person who prefers the looks of a ZR1 over a FGT is either on drugs or simply can not afford a FGT..
Im very objective car person and I'm not on any drugs and I think the ZR1 looks better then the Ford GT.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:10 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JR.

So do I, and I own both. Ran the FGT stock (500 rwhp), then with a Whipple(720 rwhp) and now TT (840/950 rwhp).

It is a fantastic car overall, with styling and a fragrant leather smell the Vette can't match, and it doesn't even require a fuel injector upgrade to make 1000 rwhp, but.....

It has a lousy stereo, no rear visibility, no storage, and the sun visors don't fold to the side windows.

I addressed the stereo/storage issues with very trick (but expensive) aftermarket solutions, but the ZR1 is a Cadillac compared to the FGT.

Not that any of that matters when I crank up that TT 5.4 and hit the road....it is a fantastic driving car that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I'm just lucky enough to have both in the garage. Life is good....
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
soroush
5th Gear

So do I, and I own both. Ran the FGT stock (500 rwhp), then with a Whipple(720 rwhp) and now TT (840/950 rwhp).

It is a fantastic car overall, with styling and a fragrant leather smell the Vette can't match, and it doesn't even require a fuel injector upgrade to make 1000 rwhp, but.....

It has a lousy stereo, no rear visibility, no storage, and the sun visors don't fold to the side windows.

I addressed the stereo/storage issues with very trick (but expensive) aftermarket solutions, but the ZR1 is a Cadillac compared to the FGT.

Not that any of that matters when I crank up that TT 5.4 and hit the road....it is a fantastic driving car that I wouldn't trade for anything.

listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Lacquer
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by soroush
listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about!
So does this guy by the way...
Hey Soroush, we are picking up Torrie tomorrow for dyno day with Kendall Friday... Should be just the ticket for the next Texas mile!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

I would love to own a Ford GT, but I'm sort of on the fence in regards to calling it one of the best looking cars. It looks "striking" but in my opinion it doesn't really look "good". It doesn't really have a mean or aggressive look from the front. However, the sound is plenty mean and aggressive.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
When it comes to looks regarding the Ford GT, it isn't subjective. It is the best looking car of all time. That is a fact. And as someone said previously, there isn't that large a performance gap.
That is until the Porsche 918 is released.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Prices on the GT are definetely going up fast. I have been watching for the past 3 months and it has creeped up 5-10 k every month it seems. Hopefully after Christmas it will drop back down - I would love one but waited too long. I am now looking into the 2012 P GT2, dropping VTG68mm turbos into it with minimal engine internal strengthening it will handle 900HP w/ AWD . Missed a fire orange 2008 by hours last week with full CF interior - what a beautiful track car.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs Ford GT

Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
I would love to own a Ford GT, but I'm sort of on the fence in regards to calling it one of the best looking cars. It looks "striking" but in my opinion it doesn't really look "good". It doesn't really have a mean or aggressive look from the front. However, the sound is plenty mean and aggressive.
Look at some of Dallas Performance builds and they sound bad to the bone.......let alone being quick and fast as all get up. Taylor can build one hellava car.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Like I said I own both and in stock form the ZR1 is faster but my GT has a tune and pulley upgrade only and is now faster than my ZR1, and drives exactly as stock but faster, but it is harder to get in and out of than the ZR1 which is kind of a pain in the *** and really the only thing I don't like about the car. As far as build quality and paint finish etc, the GT is far superior, and its chassis is much stiffer with no body flex and drives much better than the ZR1 IMO, and the car doesn't have any of the issues ZR1 owners complain of, such as wheel vibration or drifting, etc. Also the GT interior IMO is also superior, more race car like, and the shifter is just awesome (smooth as silk) as is the Mcintosh Stereo which I think someone said the ZR1 is better but its not, the Mac is much better. As far as looks go I agree they are subjective and I really like the ZR1 looks, but I am also with the opinion that the GT is one of the best looking designs ever and very unique, unlike the ZR1 which only Corvette guys can tell from a regular Corvette. I can hardly drive the GT anywhere without a crowd and people taking pictures etc, and probably all those things I mentioned in this post is why 6 years later after they starting making the GT there still bringing close to or above MSRP for used ones. I believe you get what you pay for and thats why the GT costs what it costs and the ZR1 costs what it costs!

Last edited by jamie furman; 12-16-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

The fact that production of the G.T. has ended have something to do with "what it costs"?

Quick Reply: ZR1 vs Ford GT