Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"

Camaro Chief engineer taking big when it comes to the new Camaro ZL1

"Oppenheiser also went on to say that unlike previous generations of cars -- and previous generations of GM -- the Camaro program isn't mandated to slot below the Corvette in price or performance. If there's a market for a Camaro that will mop the floor with a Corvette, they'll build it. They'll be building this one starting in the first quarter of 2012."

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...amaro-zl1.html

If anyone is wondering why C6 vette sales have tanked.....this car will take a few more sales away. For the price of a BASE VETTE, you'll get standard magnetic ride, 120+ more hp, room for 4.....and be able to mop the floor with Corvettes.

The C7 can't come fast enough. Not only do the CTS-V car's have more power and a standard mag suspension...even the Camaro 1LZ gets to make use of GM's best suspension option currently developed.

IMO the base C6 vette comes out looking terribly weak in the GM lineup all things considered. You get the C6 design but a car that is now being outclassed in all areas that matter to those of a performance mind.....power/handling.

This goes back to what some have been saying about too many Corvette models, perhaps the C6 has been somewhat watered down in each version (base-GS-Z06-ZR1)?

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 02-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
ub2slow2

Hate to say it but my Lexus IS-F will beat a entry level C6. If this Camaro story is true and it would beat my ZR1 then I would be done with Corvette for good. In my book, any time you take a lower line of car from within the same company and out perform your supposed top line sports cars then you have real issues not to mention make yourself the joke of the sportscar world.

I will believe it when I see it, right now I don't buy it.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ub2slow2
Hate to say it but my Lexus IS-F will beat a entry level C6. If this Camaro story is true and it would beat my ZR1 then I would be done with Corvette for good. In my book, any time you take a lower line of car from within the same company and out perform your supposed top line sports cars then you have real issues not to mention make yourself the joke of the sportscar world.

The C6 ZR1 will be out of reach of many cars for a long time just due to the power/weight, I believe the Camaro ZL1 development team is talking about outperforming the entry level 430hp C6. Still it's a bit of positive news for Camaro fans that they have a model that for about the same price as a Corvette will eat one up in a straightline and the curves.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I don't car what they do to the Camaro. It will never stand up to a Corvette in my opinion at the end of the day. The new generation Camaro's just don't do it for me at all, where as I love the Corvettes, from the base to the top dog.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The story is true. The Camaro ZL1 was officially released today at the Chicago Auto show. Think of it as the Camaro version of the CTS-V. Fast, very fast for a 2 door coupe but not Z06 or ZR1 fast. It has the LSA making 550 HP and 550 TQ. Magnetic ride, 6 piston Brembos with two piece front rotors factory suede interior to include the dash and a D-shaped steering wheel. A wonderful sound and looking car but despite it's ferocious performance potential (not released yet) it's not a Sport Car but rather a Sport Sedan/ Muscle car. Will it affect Corvette sales? Maybe a little but it's in a different class. The biggest thing hurting Corvette sales is a weak economy and a design that hasn't seen an upgrade since it's release. The C6 has saturated the market in todays economic climate.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
VetteRulz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and that is why GM sometimes sucks a$$. They denigrate their own model lineups. Why is GM's Camaro division talking trash about the Corvette lineup?

GM is fighting itself and attacking itself. Nice going GM. What a f***** joke.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I don't car what they do to the Camaro. It will never stand up to a Corvette in my opinion at the end of the day. The new generation Camaro's just don't do it for me at all, where as I love the Corvettes, from the base to the top dog.
Your definitely in the minority. While the Corvette is still a true sports car imo and not really comparable to a Camaro in that respect the success and positive response to the 5th gen is undeniable. I love Corvette also but the truth is I have more than one Chevy in my garage. The Camaro for what it is, is tough to beat. It's a modern muscle car and it means serious business. For the first time in nearly 20 years the Camaro is outselling the Mustang. Since it's release the 5th gen has outsold the Mustang every month it's been available for sale with only one exception. The first month release of the new Mustang wit the 5.0 drivetrain. That's with only a V6 and V8 model option. The convertible has just gone on sale and a year from now the ZL1 goes on sale. They could still do a Z28!!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 453 Likes on 229 Posts

It will take a lot more HP for the Camero to out perform the Corvette due to the higher weight of the Camero.

Who cares if there is another model of car that will go faster than the Corvette. I own a Corvette for the entire package; power plant, drive train, style and great value.

Unless you track the car what is the difference if your car will go 190 MPH or 200 MPH. I like my C6 in comparison to my C5, but really how do you tell the difference between 4.2 seconds 0 to 60 MPH and 4.8 seconds 0 to 60 MPH.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to hijack but the entry level C6 beat the IS-F's time at Nürburgring by 20 seconds. They better put the Camaro on a diet if they want to beat the Vette in anything but a straight line.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I think that the Camaro ZL1 is just a prelude of what is to come for the C7. The corvette has always been the state of the art for GM and will always be. The C6 was designed 8 years ago, with technology from that era , look how far technology has come in 8 years. Get ready for the C7 it will be awesome, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

This is all very strange to me. As someone who grew up with F-cars, I never even thought of the possibility of owning a Vette. I never wanted one. I was an F-car guy. I stayed in my world. And ruled it.

Now, I am in a Vette. I don't even "look" at Camaros. Why would I ? I appreciate them for what they are - just as much as a Mustang. But, they are far from my Vette's league.

If I owned a Vette that a 550hp Camaro could beat in a street drag, well, who cares ? It still won't be a Vette.

When the 550hp Camaro rolls out, MAYBE it will beat a 436hp Vette in a straight run - I don't think so, but MAYBE. And, WHEN the 550 is actually around, there will be plenty of Vettes to beat it - both in the straight run, and in pure class.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteRulz
and that is why GM sometimes sucks a$$. They denigrate their own model lineups. Why is GM's Camaro division talking trash about the Corvette lineup?

GM is fighting itself and attacking itself. Nice going GM. What a f***** joke.
GM is making themselves look like complete and utter IDIOTS!! This is the equivalent of Ford making a Focus to rival the GT500!!! This would be a serious mistake IMO. They are devaluing and degrading what THEY labeled as their flagship vehicle. IF this does happen, the C7 better have some F***inG super stats or it could really be the end of an American Icon!!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
The C6 ZR1 will be out of reach of many cars for a long time just due to the power/weight, I believe the Camaro ZL1 development team is talking about outperforming the entry level 430hp C6. Still it's a bit of positive news for Camaro fans that they have a model that for about the same price as a Corvette will eat one up in a straightline and the curves.
They say it will also take a "base" Z06 since it has the MSRC.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blaq Ops
GM is making themselves look like complete and utter IDIOTS!! This is the equivalent of Ford making a Focus to rival the GT500!!! This would be a serious mistake IMO. They are devaluing and degrading what THEY labeled as their flagship vehicle. IF this does happen, the C7 better have some F***inG super stats or it could really be the end of an American Icon!!
I'm sure the ZL1 is a response to the new Mustangs...the C7 will rule once again. I do have to laugh at all the whiners pissin & moaning about CAFE...I don't see any HP going down anywhere.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the curb weight difference between the base C6 and a Camaro with a heavy blower over the front wheels? My guess is a lot.
Remember to factor in weight distribution, aerodynamics, center of gravity, stronger/proven drivetrain, etc.

When i was young i don't ever remember dreaming about owning a Camaro someday.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blaq Ops
Or building a GT500 to rival the Ford GT?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
They say it will also take a "base" Z06 since it has the MSRC.
Can't see this simply due to power to weight numbers. The ZL1 will weigh about 800 pounds more than Z06 and has less rubber to stick it to the asphalt with on a launch. Around a track the Z06 has better handling characteristics that a 4000 pound muscle car with a much higher center of gravity just can't overcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"

Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I'm sure the ZL1 is a response to the new Mustangs...the C7 will rule once again. I do have to laugh at all the whiners pissin & moaning about CAFE...I don't see any HP going down anywhere.
Winner!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
VetteRulz
Instructor

How pathetic would it be to have the C7 have less HP than a Camaro. Even now the new Camaro has 430HP and it makes the Corvette less appealing.

GM likes to attack its own model lineups. When will GM learn that it needs to attack its competitor (Ford Mustang) and not attack itself.

CAFE standards. Gasoline costs are rising and rising fast. Don't be surprise to see $4.50 a gallon for premium by late spring.

Last edited by VetteRulz; 02-10-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Can't see this simply due to power to weight numbers. The ZL1 will weigh about 800 pounds more than Z06 and has less rubber to stick it to the asphalt with on a launch. Around a track the Z06 has better handling characteristics that a 4000 pound muscle car with a much higher center of gravity just can't overcome.
No we are all talking straight line here...no way a stock Camaro beats a stock Corvette on a road course. This is no different than a CTS-V coupe is right now.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"