Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2011 Z06 vs 2011 GT500 vs 2012 GTR in Motortrend

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B y r o n
I know they matched them up for HP but I think it would have been interesting to throw a GS into the mix. They talked about the Z breaking the back end loose coming out of the turns and not being able to mash the gas and this slowed them down. I'm wondering if the GS with less HP would have allowed the full throttle without fear of kicking out the rear and allow the car to keep the speed up? Not saying the GTR wouldn't still be the fastest car but would like to see the comparison between the Z06 and GS.
The GS would've been well behind and possibly not even beat out the new and improved 2011 GT500. Remember the GS weighs more then a Z06 and is down 70hp and doesn't offer the CC brakes.......all told the GS wouldn't fare well in this test....in fact it might've come in last place in ALL tests (0-60 and 1/4 mile included)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Farewell To Kings
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I don't care how fast it is, it is downright hideous, it never got it's nickname for nothing... Sometimes quickest doesn't mean best.

Any car manufacturer can make a car fast. Yet, it takes a great car company to make a car fast and great looking. With any sports car its the entire package including looks, handling and, speed. Just as with women its the entire package. Otherwise you and up with a girl that has a Rosie Odonell face with a Carmen Electra body.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
The GS would've been well behind and possibly not even beat out the new and improved 2011 GT500. Remember the GS weighs more then a Z06 and is down 70hp and doesn't offer the CC brakes.......all told the GS wouldn't fare well in this test....in fact it might've come in last place in ALL tests (0-60 and 1/4 mile included)
We knew this post was coming, he always does when it comes to the GS.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Farewell To Kings
Advanced

Some things never change. Pretty sad.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Another reason for the Vette to go AWD...though that ain't gonna happen with all the old foggies around cryin' about it being sacrilege.

Do you mean the "old fogies" of Corvette Forum, the "old fogies" of GM or which "old fogies?" Do the folks at CF have that much influence? Does GM have an AWD system that is anywhere near robust enough to be integrated into the Corvette platform?

Why would AWD be anymore sacrilege than ABS or MSRC. They're all just new fangled (in their time) acronymns? I'm with you vettedoogie in that Corvette must go with AWD eventually or be left behind as a performance car.

Come to think of it, maybe Corvette could only race with RWD cars and win like they did for too long in GT1 with no competition. I like to think of my Corvette as cutting edge. If people want tradition only they can always go with the older and still beautiful vehicles. Am I missing the point? If so clue me in please.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

BOGUS. No personal attacks.

In this case the poster is probably correct. The GS, while a WONDERFUL car it is NOT a Z06.

The GS in terms of performance is right 'at' the 11' GT500 with the SVT package. Not bad for the GT500 in terms of it's weight and 10k lower MSRP for compairable builds. The difference between the two can and probably would be driver related. So if the GS was included it would have come in 3rd or 4th....you do not enter a contest/comparison to come in 3rd or 4th...Corvette ain't AVIS..."we're Number 2 but we try harder".

Last edited by Z06LUST; 02-19-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO, it is no longer a matter of needing more HP, it is a matter of getting the power it has to the ground.
It's all starting to come down to tech these days, and the Z06 is lacking.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Do you mean the "old fogies" of Corvette Forum, the "old fogies" of GM or which "old fogies?" Do the folks at CF have that much influence? Does GM have an AWD system that is anywhere near robust enough to be integrated into the Corvette platform?

Why would AWD be anymore sacrilege than ABS or MSRC. They're all just new fangled (in their time) acronymns? I'm with you vettedoogie in that Corvette must go with AWD eventually or be left behind as a performance car.

Come to think of it, maybe Corvette could only race with RWD cars and win like they did for too long in GT1 with no competition. I like to think of my Corvette as cutting edge. If people want tradition only they can always go with the older and still beautiful vehicles. Am I missing the point? If so clue me in please.
Corvette used to be cutting edge, once upon a time. Seems to me it's been stuck in the sand to long waiting for the C7. They have pretty much run out of parts bin stuff to throw on these cars.

Hell Mustang has caught up to the Vette, and in certain aspects surpassed it, for cheaper. No wonder these cars aren't selling anymore.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I almost bought the GTR...I showed it to my wife in a parking lot and she thought it was a 370z...she called it and I quote , " ugly."

Ugly dont cut it when you pay that much ...on top of that the costs of the car from an ongoing maintenance standpoint is a disgusting waste of money...

Bang for buck and ongoing cost win goes to the Vette.
Ease of modifications = goes to the Vette

Also have you been on their forums? BORING with a capital B. LOL

Last edited by Cor430vette; 02-19-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:06 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Another reason for the Vette to go AWD...though that ain't gonna happen with all the old foggies around cryin' about it being sacrilege.
I'd be happy with a ZO6 with DSG. AWD wouldn't hurt
Old 02-19-2011, 05:08 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I've driven an '11 GTR, fast and very easy to drive, but HEAVY. On a road course, weight is the enemy, both for handling and especially under braking, and I guarantee that after just a handful of laps the GTR would start feeling the effects of its several hundred lbs over the Corvette, and the Vette would pass and drive away
So basically you've driven a 2011, but NOT on a track, and have NO IDEA what it would feel like after a handful of laps, but THINK it would feel the effects and slow way down

Originally Posted by Farewell To Kings
Any car manufacturer can make a car fast. Yet, it takes a great car company to make a car fast and great looking. With any sports car its the entire package including looks, handling and, speed.
yea, Nissan failed big time with this one
Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Corvette used to be cutting edge, once upon a time. Seems to me it's been stuck in the sand to long waiting for the C7. They have pretty much run out of parts bin stuff to throw on these cars.

Hell Mustang has caught up to the Vette, and in certain aspects surpassed it, for cheaper. No wonder these cars aren't selling anymore.
I know what you mean but sometimes we're all too hard on these Corvettes we love. I've driven the Mustang and I don't feel it's even in the same class as the C6 on the track, model to model. However your point is well taken and at least debatable. As for the long run of the C6, I think it's about average for various Corvette generations, don't you? Especially considering the absolutely horrendous economic years we've just gone through. Having said that, it's time to step up to the plate and hit another homerun like GM did with the C5 and C6.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
I'm more shocked at the $98000 MSRP of a Z06! Who in their right mind would pay that when for just 10K more, get a ZR1? I would have rather seen them compare an "unloaded" Z06 that MSRPs around mid-70s and seen how it does.

And while the GTR is impressive, my god is that car is ugly! As fast as it is, can't run from its looks!!
Love the looks of my Z and not an asian car fan, but can not with a straight face say that the R is "ugly".I Saw a Copper colored one on the street and a black/black at the auto show, Has a very agressive look.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

I am not into Japanese cars, and I personally think the GTR is one of the most ugly cars out there.

However, no matter how you feel about the looks, it still beat the just as expensive Z06 in almost every catagory. Hell, those performance numbers would have easily beaten the ZR-1.

Calling the car ugly isn't going to change the results.

Maybe it's time for Chevy to start stepping up to the plate with something other than parts bin scrounging for a change.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Hard to ignore or deny the performance of the GTR. I have looked at a few all have been black but IMHO you really have to sell yourself on the looks of it.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:28 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by sdurg24
I know what you mean but sometimes we're all too hard on these Corvettes we love. I've driven the Mustang and I don't feel it's even in the same class as the C6 on the track, model to model. However your point is well taken and at least debatable. As for the long run of the C6, I think it's about average for various Corvette generations, don't you? Especially considering the absolutely horrendous economic years we've just gone through. Having said that, it's time to step up to the plate and hit another homerun like GM did with the C5 and C6.
There's more to a car than what it does on the track. How many people actually track their cars? A tiny number. Your average person who is buying these cars look at the performance they are getting on paper, and what they are getting for their money.

What does the economy have to do with Chevrolet putting in the work to improve this car on a yearly basis? I don't see any other car makers stagnating because of the economy? Everywhere you look cars are getting better, and we sit and wait for the C7.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Possibly. I've seen a good driver in a GS beat an average driver in a ZO6, but a good pro like Randy Pobst with a little seat time should be able to get the power down, the hitch is that it's only going through 2 wheels, not 4 wheels like the GTR, big difference in traction and feel. I guarantee that in stock form, under actual race conditions, the ZO6 would easily beat the GTR, and I think the GS would be right there.
In regards to the test, didn't the Z have the nannies switched off? May have been a better choice to keep the AH on.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Z06 vs 2011 GT500 vs 2012 GTR in Motortrend

Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He was driving the Z06 without Nanny's, not a real world test.

He was concerned with " confidence " which in the long run slowed him down. In C mode he would have hauled more ars.

The 4 x 4 in the GTR is a huge nanny so IMO not on equal ground with Nanny's off of the C6.

The C6 speaks for itself I am not defending it.

The carbon brakes helped his mojo for sure.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Whether or not the car looks good is debatable, personally I like how the GTR looks.
The performance however leaves no doubt. 0 to 60 in 2.9 and 11.2 in the quarter from the factory is nuts.
With Mustang GTs making over 400 HP and available for 30K, and the GTR kicking *** and taking names, the C7 cannot come soon enough.
I love my GS, but the C6 is getting long in the tooth. It appears that the C7 is at least 2 or 3 years away from production, and competition is way too strong these days for such a long model cycle.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I almost bought the GTR...I showed it to my wife in a parking lot and she thought it was a 370z...she called it and I quote , " ugly."

Ugly dont cut it when you pay that much ...on top of that the costs of the car from an ongoing maintenance standpoint is a disgusting waste of money...

Bang for buck and ongoing cost win goes to the Vette.
Ease of modifications = goes to the Vette
Also have you been on their forums? BORING with a capital B. LOL
HUH? GTR is faster so more bang for buck. A simple tune on a turbo car gets way more results than a tune on our car. Add a good intercooler and it gets no heat soak lost. I just came from the 370Z forum and its way more interesting in there than here for the most part.

Quick Reply: 2011 Z06 vs 2011 GT500 vs 2012 GTR in Motortrend