Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2011 Z06 vs 2011 GT500 vs 2012 GTR in Motortrend

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Farewell To Kings
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmCorvette
Whether or not the car looks good is debatable, personally I like how the GTR looks.
The performance however leaves no doubt. 0 to 60 in 2.9 and 11.2 in the quarter from the factory is nuts.
With Mustang GTs making over 400 HP and available for 30K, and the GTR kicking *** and taking names, the C7 cannot come soon enough.
I love my GS, but the C6 is getting long in the tooth. It appears that the C7 is at least 2 or 3 years away from production, and competition is way too strong these days for such a long model cycle.
You are one of the few that does like how the GTR looks. Hey, if Rosie Odonell can find someone who thinks she is attractive it makes sense someone would find the GTR a looker. I still believe it takes a entire package of looks & performance to make a truly remarkable sports car as the Corvette has done for so many years.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Farewell To Kings
You are one of the few that does like how the GTR looks. Hey, if Rosie Odonell can find someone who thinks she is attractive it makes sense someone would find the GTR a looker. I still believe it takes a entire package of looks & performance to make a truly remarkable sports car as the Corvette has done for so many years.
I like its looks too and only wished I could have afforded a GTR but not at this point. Im sure looks are in the eye of the beholder, just cuz you dont like the lokos doesnt mean its not an entire package. Im sure their sales are doing quit well. Here in El Paso there are atleast 13 GTRs around sold by the Nissan dealer I was taking 370Z to. I dont think I see 13 ZR1s around here. And Im sure I can find a women who thinks you should be Rosie and not her. Perspective. And you need to know the long history behind the GTRs and Fairladys AKA the Zs.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Any car manufacturer can make a car fast. Yet, it takes a great car company to make a car fast and great looking. With any sports car its the entire package including looks, handling and, speed. Just as with women its the entire package. Otherwise you and up with a girl that has a Rosie Odonell face with a Carmen Electra body.
Poor Rosie!! She didn't even say anything!! She is damn ugly, though!!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

With Mustang GTs making over 400 HP and available for 30K, and the GTR kicking *** and taking names, the C7 cannot come soon enough.
Agreed as to the need for the C7...but ...I defend Mustangs here more then anyone (I live in both worlds and intentionally own both and yes my Z06 is faster) HOWEVER a GT aka 5.0 Mustang for $30k???.

In theory yes for a total stripper..NOT one single option and CLOTH seats, NO Brembo upgrade etc....and good luck finding one built like that for sale.

Most GT/5.0 are leather seated with some options...to even get a 5.0 into a comparison with a GS (the 5.0 will generally lose) your more in the ball park of a $38-39k msrp with options including Brembo brakes etc.

The only Mustang you will find that can hang (driver based) with a Coupe or GS is the GT500 (and potentially the Boss 302, especially the Boss 302 Laguna Seca in track key configuration when it arrives). No need to freak out about GT's/5.0s just yet.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Agreed as to the need for the C7...but ...I defend Mustangs here more then anyone (I live in both worlds and intentionally own both and yes my Z06 is faster) HOWEVER a GT aka 5.0 Mustang for $30k???.

In theory yes for a total stripper..NOT one single option and CLOTH seats, NO Brembo upgrade etc....and good luck finding one built like that for sale.

Most GT/5.0 are leather seated with some options...to even get a 5.0 into a comparison with a GS (the 5.0 will generally lose) your more in the ball park of a $38-39k msrp with options including Brembo brakes etc.

The only Mustang you will find that can hang (driver based) with a Coupe or GS is the GT500 (and potentially the Boss 302, especially the Boss 302 Laguna Seca in track key configuration when it arrives). No need to freak out about GT's/5.0s just yet.
I'm not freaking, just pointing out that truly if one is interested in bang for the buck, the 5.0 is probably the winner, or the GT500 for that matter.
As far as availability of cars without many options, I dont think Ive ever seen a Z06 for less than 90K on a dealer lot or a GS for less than 60K.

Last edited by WestPalmCorvette; 02-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
wase13
Racer

Indeed 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds thats super super car territory. GTR weights 4000 lbs and has similar power ratings as Z06 yet it walks all over it with all that extra weight? Gotta be the drivetrain, better tranny....
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06LUST

No one is worried about the GTs. They are no match for the Vette. Nor will they be.

The thing is though, a few years ago many of us were laughing at the GTs. I don't think many people are laughing now. Especially as Chevy continues to sit on it's hands as far as the Vette is concerned.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Farewell To Kings
Advanced

Originally Posted by S'vette
I like its looks too and only wished I could have afforded a GTR but not at this point. Im sure looks are in the eye of the beholder, just cuz you dont like the lokos doesnt mean its not an entire package. Im sure their sales are doing quit well. Here in El Paso there are atleast 13 GTRs around sold by the Nissan dealer I was taking 370Z to. I dont think I see 13 ZR1s around here. And Im sure I can find a women who thinks you should be Rosie and not her. Perspective. And you need to know the long history behind the GTRs and Fairladys AKA the Zs.
2 that like the looks.

So I offened the car you like and you make it personal? It is clear by your post where you are coming from.

As for the history I know full well the history of the GTR and the Z's. Yet, try and tell us all how it remotely compares to the legend the Corvette is.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

The coming Z28 or whatever Chevy is going to call the supercharged Camaro is also probably going to smoke a base/GS Vette, at least as far as straight line performance is concerned.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Farewell To Kings
Advanced

The coming Z28 or whatever Chevy is going to call the supercharged Camaro is also probably going to smoke a base/GS Vette, at least as far as straight line performance is concerned.
The ZL1 with some 550 HP.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

It should put out about the same numbers as the CTS-V, which will put it in GS territory.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM
magls2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Corvette Supercharger/Turbo Forced Induction Guide

Take your pick !!!!

Vortech Engineering
Squires Turbo Systems
Procharger
Kenne Bell
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, Inc.
Edelbrock
Callaway

Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

2 that like the looks.

So I offened the car you like and you make it personal? It is clear by your post where you are coming from.

As for the history I know full well the history of the GTR and the Z's. Yet, try and tell us all how it remotely compares to the legend the Corvette is.
No you were just showing your ignorance cuz people like a car you dont therefore the car cant be as good as the one you have. The history of the Fairlady Z is just as high as the vette. Please your ..... is showing.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Then it should be compared to the Z06 or the ZR1. Why compare it 100 hp more SC car to a lower hp NA car?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by S'vette
Then it should be compared to the Z06 or the ZR1. Why compare it 100 hp more SC car to a lower hp NA car?
because it will probably cost as much as a GS
my point is that many cars have caught up to the Vette and the C7 needs to arrive sooner rather than later

Last edited by WestPalmCorvette; 02-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

You are one of the few that does like how the GTR looks
Honestly the only people that don't like the looks of the Nissan are on this forum.....

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Z06 vs 2011 GT500 vs 2012 GTR in Motortrend

Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Do you mean the "old fogies" of Corvette Forum, the "old fogies" of GM or which "old fogies?"
Probably the old fogies of the forum. The old fogies at GM retired several years ago when they had the chance to get out with a retirement package.

Bill
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Racer
We knew this post was coming, he always does when it comes to the GS.

send him "packing" with his buddy QS.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Farewell To Kings
Advanced

Originally Posted by gilly6993
Honestly the only people that don't like the looks of the Nissan are on this forum.....
No you can search all over the web and you will hear how many believe the car is ugly. You will often hear it looks better in person then in pictures. Now try telling your wife or gf she looks better in person then in a picture and see how far that will get you.

Quick Reply: 2011 Z06 vs 2011 GT500 vs 2012 GTR in Motortrend