Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ferrari and Corvette Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
A CHICKen, your pouting again....
um, no.

Just got u pegged by now.
I think you been drinking your own kool-aid for so long u actually believe it.

And that is SloChicken to you, sister.
A nickname from the early SCCA days.
Not that you would understand - some of us actually do race ...

Last edited by SloChicken; 03-21-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SloChicken
um, no.

Just got u pegged by now.
I think you been drinking your own kool-aid for so long u actually believe it.
SLOW chicken........nice!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't mind Racer,
His 100000000 posts and the signature that say's he "knows what he is talking about" says it all
Anything that comes close to interfering with his ostensibly huge ego and he he comes out firing. .
I rather enjoy Racer's posts actually. They give me pause for consideration and while we seldom agree, it's all part of the fun of participating in a forum.

But thanks...
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Don't mind Racer,
His 100000000 posts and the signature that say's he "knows what he is talking about" says it all
Anything that comes close to interfering with his ostensibly huge ego and he he comes out firing.
The guy really takes the fun out of the joint.

As for american exotics, there is the new hennesey.
or the new McLaren if you want to go that route.
But as you said, it is best if you are getting your car and regard it as a whimsy, because if you think of it as an investment, then you will be in for a big bad, and sad surprise. 430s included - and that goes for vettes too.
Ha,you read my mind.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertrash19
..."I love my Corvette, and I'm proud to be fortunate enough to own one.. I love this country and I'm proud to live here and support it in anyway I can... Owning a Corvette just happens to be one of the perks!!"

AMEN Brother!!!

...and I also agree totally with both comments
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by rob62
Ha,you read my mind.
Aw, I love you too Rob. Sorry about proving you wrong in that one thread, you were devastated, I understand.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
SloChicken
Racer

SLOW chicken........nice!
Exactly. the name comes from a stuffed chicken with wide eyes that rode behind the b pillar in my old M3
In other words,
Say u are slo and prove different, instead of calling myself a "Racer" and well ...
U figure out the rest ..

Last edited by SloChicken; 03-21-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Chicken stuff
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by last901
I rather enjoy Racer's posts actually. They give me pause for consideration and while we seldom agree, it's all part of the fun of participating in a forum.

But thanks...
Hey we agree on this! Thanks Bro....
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread
Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudeurgettnavette
great thread
Ahh.. you do realize, don't you, that the traditional Ferrari insignia is of the Cavallino Rampante (the rearing black stallion) so were you actually trying to make a point regarding your opinion of Ferraris?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Ed32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only that to suggest that most modern Ferraris are not investments and depreciate just like Corvettes and most other cars. The other point is directed at those who like to rant on this forum about how a Corvette is faster than some Ferraris, or wonder if a Ferrari is the better vehicle of choice. etc. Simply trying to bring some things into perspective for those who might believe that a Ferrari is a viable option for those on a Corvette budget. Nothing more. Well, perhaps to suggest things like belt changes and major services in some Ferraris would make the payments for a year or more on a Corvette.

Do I sense some disagreement?
I'm not an expert here but that particular Ferrari is ugly and who wants a "front engine Ferrari" anyway, that's like getting a hamburger with salad instead of fries. I think I've heard in tv shows, possibly Top Gear, that the front engine ones and the ones with the rear seat depreciate horribly. I guess certain models will never depreciate like the Enzo. You pay more for a Ferrari because they spend a lot of money in a bunch of gadgets and gizmos that make any idiot feel like a race car driver and then they have to use a bunch of expensive materials to compensate for the weight.
For almost 70k I would love to get a new Z06, Vettes are all about perfomance and power, a little bit less sophisticated though but who cares!

Last edited by Ed32; 03-21-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Ahh.. you do realize, don't you, that the traditional Ferrari insignia is of the Cavallino Rampante (the rearing black stallion) so were you actually trying to make a point regarding your opinion of Ferraris?
total thread jack (and well deserved), but how u liking the Sport Classic?
I have been on Ducati for some 10 years now, at least for my track bikes, and my buddy's got one just like yours.
I like the bike well enough - reminds me of my '73 RD350.
I just repainted my screw around bike, a 99 944ss. Tons of fun! It's my little lightweight!

and my 999

And that, Racer, is how to use la Forza Italia! Not from some armchair. Eh?

Last edited by SloChicken; 03-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I don't know if I've ever seen an ugly Ferrari. Not sure one has ever been made.

I spent a huge amount of time walking around, looking at, and admiring that new Ferrari 458 I outran last October at the Texas Mile. Pictures don't do the 458 justice. It is one of the most gloriously beautiful cars I've ever seen. Inside and out. In the ZR section there's a thread about a fellow trying to make up his mind b/n a new MacLaren and the 458. I can't imagine that Mac will look anywhere near as sexy as the 458.

One thing I tip my hat to the Italians for (besides some pretty darned good food and wine), is they do design some of the best looking automobiles on the planet.

I appreciate their style and the engineering/performance. I also enjoyed outrunning it.

Great thing about world class sports cars - Corvette included - is that you can get just about anything today depending on what you're most interested in. For me, it's relatively worry-free miles accumulation/track events. For others, it's some other driver motivating them.

In the end, it's all good. Choices are a good thing. We should rejoice that we're living thru a time of some fantastic high performance autos from all over the world.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't know if I've ever seen an ugly Ferrari. Not sure one has ever been made.

I spent a huge amount of time walking around, looking at, and admiring that new Ferrari 458 I outran last October at the Texas Mile. Pictures don't do the 458 justice. It is one of the most gloriously beautiful cars I've ever seen. Inside and out. In the ZR section there's a thread about a fellow trying to make up his mind b/n a new MacLaren and the 458. I can't imagine that Mac will look anywhere near as sexy as the 458.

One thing I tip my hat to the Italians for (besides some pretty darned good food and wine), is they do design some of the best looking automobiles on the planet.

I appreciate their style and the engineering/performance. I also enjoyed outrunning it.

Great thing about world class sports cars - Corvette included - is that you can get just about anything today depending on what you're most interested in. For me, it's relatively worry-free miles accumulation/track events. For others, it's some other driver motivating them.

In the end, it's all good. Choices are a good thing. We should rejoice that we're living thru a time of some fantastic high performance autos from all over the world.
I am with ya, except for the ugly ferrari part.
Some of the 80s ferraris are straight out u g l y
they ain't got no alibi.

Testarossa, Mondiale, etc ...
Blecch

That said, you are right, the 458 is a beautiful machine! I like the 599 just fine as well. It does look quite a bit like the vette tho. I still would rather have a nice 250gt tho. Just a matter of money, or lack thereof.
Before I got my vette, I looked at the Maserati Cambio Corsa, but I didn't want to take on the maintenance bill, or the depreciation.
The vette is a no brainer, and the economy lets me keep my boat in the water, my stable of motorcycles, and plenny money for track time and tires.
Of course, If I owned the hospital I work for it would be different.
However, I think I would rather have the new McLaren, or even a nice little Ariel Atom, or the KTM track car.
I do hear over and over that the 430 is the fastest car for trash talking from an armchair tho.
LOL
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I spent a day on the track with a Testarossa. I was passing him, but that's because in part, his was a low mile original example that he wasn't pushing past about 70% or so.

The sound of that flat 12 under throttle was a sweet tune.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed32
I'm not an expert here but that Ferrari is ugly and who wants a "front engine Ferrari" anyway, that's like getting a hamburger with salad instead of fries. I think I've heard in tv shows, possibly Top Gear, that the front engine ones and the ones with the rear seat depreciate horribly. I guess certain models will never depreciate like the Enzo. You pay more for a Ferrari because they spend a lot of money in a bunch of gadgets and gizmos that make any idiot feel like a race car driver and then they have to use a bunch of expensive materials to compensate for the weight.
For almost 70k I would love to get a new Z06, Vettes are all about perfomance and power, a little bit less sophisticated though but who cares!
Ignorance is Bliss!!!! Oh obviously you have never driven either. If you like a front engine Vette (which technically it isn't. The C5 is a mid-engine since the block sits behind the front axle line.) then you would understand the love of the front V12 powered GT's.

I am the proud owner of a 1998 C5 coupe. I enjoy the car quite a bit but I would never confuse it with a Ferrari V12 GT. I am currently looking for a 2003 or 2004 575M Maranello. Would really like to get my hands on a HGTC version. A nice low mileage one can be had in the high 90's. The engine in these cars is nearly bullet proof and most of the work on the car can be done by the owner himself. No fancy trips to the dealer for a plug change or other routine maintenance. The only real big ticket item is the regular timing belt changes. Can't quite understand why they engineered the car like that but they did. Anyways those mid-engine Ferraris you have to drop the engine out to do a plug swap.

The 550 and 575 are probably near the bottom of their depreciation curve. You can pick one up for $90k drive it and enjoy it without putting excessive miles on it and sell it in 3-4 years for pretty much the same amount. Try that with a new Z06 which will cost very near that same amount.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy an expensive Ferrari that nobody want's will practically always have bad resale. That is the rule of the thumb for nearly any car. The front engine ferrari/ boulevard cruisers don't hold their value. They remind me of the bad resale values of the 928 Porsches in there day. Stick with the the true performance models that people buy will limit your losses. Stewy

Get notified of new replies

To Ferrari and Corvette Prices

Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by keyplyr
So are you saying that a Ferrari, or maybe just this one, depreciates more/faster than a Corvette?

Possibly. I don't keep track of the going rate since I'm not in the market for one. I had a chance to buy a new 2009 458 Italia with less than 300 miles on it for $150k, a great price but I didn't need it or want it. A former student of mine buys wheels in Beijing and brings back several containers a year. Last summer he brought back 4 of these and had them for sale, but it would have been next to impossible getting titles cleared and CA smog so I passed on it. Still, he sold all four in a couple weeks I heard.

That's awesome since there isn't a 2009 458 and it wouldn't be $150k.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Aw, I love you too Rob. Sorry about proving you wrong in that one thread, you were devastated, I understand.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.Jr.high to be exact.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

While not the most desirable of modern Ferraris it is a bona-fide V12 front engined coupe. New, these sold for over $225,000 or more.
Oh, be frank! It is by far THE LEAST desirable f-car in the recent history. Yes, it is got a V12. But it is an old V12 which isn't all that powerful and is a pain to maintain. It also got a GM 4 speed auto. Yes, this fiery Italian shares its tranny with GM trucks. In fact, had it been a 6sp car, it would have demanded a substantial premium.

It also got shock absorbers that are prone to leak. Its electric system is prone to failure too. And it is not exactly the best looking f-car either.

In short, this car has no redeemable features other than its badge and the resale shows. In fact an F360 of the same vintage with the same millage would fetch more money on the used market despite the fact that it was half as expensive when new.