Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Torn on purchase -- CTS-V or Grand Sport C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,546 Likes on 528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Torn on purchase -- CTS-V or Grand Sport C6

Hey guys,

CTS-V SEDAN vs Grand Sport C6 (a new coupe is just simply over my spending limits on this other car) - I have a $50k limit so any other suggestions for a car that is within 2 years old under $50K - please chime in your thoughts.

I am really torn which car to purchase - I know there's pros and cons to both and I will explain my situation and I know that I am ultimately the one who needs to decide.

I don't have any children and don't plan to have any in the immediate (5 yr) future.. so the backseats are irrelevant to me, we can take my girlfriends car if extra room is needed.

Both cars are roughly the same speed stock.. I would tune and add a CAI to the GS, and I would get an intake, pulley and tune for the CTS-V, ultimately making the CTS-V the faster car because of this and its forced induction motor.

Interior quality/looks goes to the CTS-V for sure (dash, console, seats, etc). Exterior looks wise the GS takes the cake. I love the widebody and it truly looks exotic.

The CTS-V if I purchase will be a pre-owned 2010 and cost between 48-51K ... the GS will be a 2011 new 1LT which can be had for $48,500-$50K (depending on options).

I don't care about the new vs used debate.. the V will have 10k miles max.. that doesn't matter to me.

The cars will see 11k(about) miles per year.

So if in my shoes, what would you choose?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

I drove C4, C5, and then C6 base coupes for 20 years, and then switched to a CTSV coupe for the last 10 months. All four cars were manual trannys, and I did not make significant mods to any of them. I’ll list my opinion of the differences in the order of biggest to smallest difference without regard to how important that difference may be to any given person. There are two really big differences. First is the comfort factor, specifically, road/tire noise and ride harshness. CTSV slaughters Vette in that regard. It is not even a contest. The second really big factor is exterior appearance, which the Vette clearly wins. However, that win is not as strong as some might think. I’ve actually gotten more gas station, parking lot, and driving thumbs up signs in the CTSV than I did in the Vettes. Part of that may be because I have the CTSV coupe, and it is new. But many recognize it as a V, and presumably would also recognize a sedan as a V. So while I’d still give the exterior appearance win to Vette, it’s not as big a difference as I thought it would be.

Other differences are much smaller than the prior two. Biggest of the remaining differences is gas mileage. CTSV gets 14-16 mpg in my usual mix of city/freeway miles, while my Vettes under those conditions got 20-22. On performance, CTSV beats base coupe in acceleration by a small margin, braking is comparable, and Vette beats CTSV in cornering/agility by a small margin. But I emphasize, all of those performance differences are small. Both cars have awesome performance and are a blast to drive. A minor factor, if you get manual tranny, while the CTSV as stated above is only slightly faster in acceleration, it will “feel” much faster. That’s because the extra low end torque from the supercharger broadens the torque curve enough to be worth about a one gear downshift, so you don’t have to shift as much to stay close to max acceleration. And on the balance of comfort/style factors not mentioned in the first paragraph, I’d rate it overall as about a draw. CTSV has easier entry/exit, and the interior appointments are considerably nicer. However, I’d rate the Vette seats more comfortable, and the Vette classic side by side speedo/tach instrument panel is clearly a better arrangement for anyone who cares about actually looking at the tach.

Hope the above helps. You can’t go wrong with either car. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Thank you for the reply!

The GS would be in manual, the CTS-V I would get in an auto.. I don't know why. When I think vette I can't drive anything but a manual, but the cts-v i would love the automatic.. I guess luxury vs rawness.

Couple qualms about the GS is the looming of the C7... I buy this car, and I would think 2014 would be the C7 (coming out August of 2013) - That is my guess on it.. but what if it comes out fall 2012 as a 2013 model? I would be pretty upset.

The cts-v sedan although menacing looking, to me is very different then the coupe. Coupe looks quite different - the sedan looks more typical. The GS in JSB or Inferno Orange (the 2 colors) is just exotic looking.

So very torn. Maybe driving both.. but I can imagine the differences and appreciate both.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I went thru something like this many years ago............so, ask yourself do you want a sports car? yes or no...................if you want a sports car get the Corvette and you can make it as fast as a CTS-V but handles better. I like the Cad, I saw a CTS-V station-wagon and I like that even better..........good luck
Old 06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I love my V sedan, its quiet, smooth, and really fast....but for me, the kicker was the backseat as my C5 just sat because I could never take the family anywhere in it.

I guess if the backseat wasnt a big deal, I would probably lean towards the GS, but for about 3000 dollars in mods on the V, it would be as fast or faster than a Z06.

fit and finish on the cadillac is better than a corvette, you certainly get better service at a cadillac dealer than a chevy dealer.....

gas mileage is much better on the GS than the V as I see about 12 in town and 18-19 on the highway...where the GS is probably more like 18 city and 28-30 highway.

I always enjoyed my corvette on nice sunny days, but the V is fun rain or shine.

really a hard decesion...
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if it helps, a local (to me) dealer recently advertised a $66k grand sport for 51.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 AM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily, I'd go V. The luxury is always there and so is the power when it's needed.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

You can get a 1lt Grand sport manual for 45 grand...brand new...and its a great sports car. To be able to take the roof off in the summer is a blast and of course the vette looks like an ultra exotic sports car...Its low...its sleek etc and its awesome..

I have a manual Z51 LS3 coupe and its a blast..

That said for a daily driver? I'd buy the CTS V.. I'd save up for the coupe and use that as a daily driver. I'm sure if you wait a bit there will be a few coupes for sale preowned and that will make the price more digestable..

The V sedan is awesome too...

Comfortable and fast! CTS V....sleek sports car....Grand Sport vette coupe with a manual and NPP exhaust rocks!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Since owning C3, C4 and now high HP C5 over the past 15 years I'm coming to appreciate "useful" Muscle a lot more.

I've owned 2 300C SRT8's over the past 6 years along with my Vettes and I just don't think I care to drive the Vettes anymore. Chicago weather sucks.

In a couple years when my current SRT8 is starting to show age I will definitely be buying a CTS-V.

I think it comes down to Smiles per Miles and coupled with the luxury of the V you'll simply drive it more.

You mentioned that if you need a back seat you'll take your S/O's car, but if you get the V you'll have no need to lower yourself to a slower car.

I'm pretty sure if you put some snow tires on the V like I did with my SRT8 you'll be fine. Mine is.

The Vette? No way.

I just think it's a no brainer as now I'm 35 and got the Vette stuff out of my system. These ultra fast luxury sports cars coming out make the transition to being a "grown up" all the more easier.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Hokie
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 12 Posts

I would get the ctsv all the way. I just love that car. It'll be next on my list.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm pretty much in the same position as you. Dating, no kids and no plans to have any in the immediate future. I purchased a GS in 2010 and had it for a year. Love the car, but wanted something more useful for traveling or taking more than one person with me. I sold the GS and purchased a CTS-V sedan and love the car. After 4 months of ownership, I'm happy with my decision, but will get a Vette down the road as a second car.

Old:

New:
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
I'm pretty much in the same position as you. Dating, no kids and no plans to have any in the immediate future. I purchased a GS in 2010 and had it for a year. Love the car, but wanted something more useful for traveling or taking more than one person with me. I sold the GS and purchased a CTS-V sedan and love the car. After 4 months of ownership, I'm happy with my decision, but will get a Vette down the road as a second car.

Old:

New:

What do you miss about the vette, now owning the V sedan? And what do you not miss about the GS (that the caddy does better, etc)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The Vette had much better gas mileage, HUD, removable top, exhaust note and stood out. The lower weight of the Vette was nice and the car felt more wild under full throttle acceleration.

The V has a much better interior and seats. I like the feeling of the shifter and clutch a lot more. The backseat and extra doors are much more convenient. Factory supercharged is nice and allows for easy upgrades with a pulley and tune. The overall fit and finish is a lot better and the electronics seem more reliable. The ride is also very comfortable and you get a better warranty (3yr vs 4yr).

Get notified of new replies

To Torn on purchase -- CTS-V or Grand Sport C6

Quick Reply: Torn on purchase -- CTS-V or Grand Sport C6