Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)

Gentleman,

I wanted to pick your brains if I could on the subject of possibly selling my 2010 Grabber Blue GT500 with Nav Sync pkg for a 2005+ C6 Corvette.

First I want to say that I absolutely love the Shelby. Tons of power and definitely gets attention, but the monthly payment is a little high and I also figure its possibly time for a change. Interest rates right now are great and the prices for the C6 seem to range from 25k-32k for what I am looking for. At that price range I would be cutting my monthly payment substantially and still have what seems to be an amazing ride.

How do you think the c6 would compare? Will I be dissapointed with the switch? What would I be happy with as far as Year, Model, etc of Corvette? To be honest I know little about them and the options other than my good friend has a 2005 arctic white with red interior. He seems to love his, but has never owned a Shelby.

Your thoughts and advice is much appreciated.

My current mods on the Shelby: Mods: 2.59 pulley, John Lund Tune, C&R dual pass/dual fan heat exchanger, Reische 170 deg thermostat, Roush Racing IC Tank, TR6 plugs, AirRaid filter, FRPP Resonator Eliminator, Lethal Performance O/R X pipe, JLT Oil Separator

Roughly: 540 rwhp

Picture of the car:

Old 07-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Is this about buying a Corvette or showing off the Stang..
Get a Vette.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Roidz
Pro

I'm not a fan of mustangs to be honest, but that's a great looking GT500.

One thing you'll be happy about if you switch is the lower curb weight, a lot lower.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Don LT-1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the stang if I couldn't afford a new vette.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Gentleman,

I wanted to pick your brains if I could on the subject of possibly selling my 2010 Grabber Blue GT500 with Nav Sync pkg for a 2005+ C6 Corvette.

First I want to say that I absolutely love the Shelby. Tons of power and definitely gets attention, but the monthly payment is a little high and I also figure its possibly time for a change. Interest rates right now are great and the prices for the C6 seem to range from 25k-32k for what I am looking for. At that price range I would be cutting my monthly payment substantially and still have what seems to be an amazing ride.

How do you think the c6 would compare? Will I be dissapointed with the switch? What would I be happy with as far as Year, Model, etc of Corvette? To be honest I know little about them and the options other than my good friend has a 2005 arctic white with red interior. He seems to love his, but has never owned a Shelby.

Your thoughts and advice is much appreciated.

My current mods on the Shelby: Mods: 2.59 pulley, John Lund Tune, C&R dual pass/dual fan heat exchanger, Reische 170 deg thermostat, Roush Racing IC Tank, TR6 plugs, AirRaid filter, FRPP Resonator Eliminator, Lethal Performance O/R X pipe, JLT Oil Separator

Roughly: 540 rwhp

Picture of the car:

The new Mustang is a beautiful car. Ford did right this time and it gets the heads up for reliability.
I have both but my Pony is an old 5.0. and not even close to a GT-500.

I find the Pony car is definitely a better daily driver if that's what you will be doing. Parking it is easier than parking Corvette. I have better vision looking outward in all directions in Pony car.
Corvette is more difficult to maneuver because of vision and length of car-big.
Corvette rides alot better and smoother because of IRS with lighter weight advantage over GT-500
The Mustang is still using that Live rear axle which is proven itself to be very durable compared to Corvette but not as smooth as IRS on Corvette. Base Corvette just rides alot better. I don't know about Z-06 which would probably be more comparable to GT-500.

Every little thing associated with Corvette is alot more expensive than on my pony car. With GT-500 I don't know how this will be as that's a limited production vehicle which is one thing it has over the Corvette.

I'm sure the GT-500 would cost alot more than the Corvette to purchase as this is suppose to be the last year of production and the stealership marking the GT-500 up and up in price. I saw GT-500 convertible and they were asking $90,000+
That is CTS-V sedan $$$ territory with change which will slaughter a GT-500.
Of course all of the cars above are different like oranges to apples but when it comes down to it get the one YOU feel the best in.

Last edited by LS WON; 07-09-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Once again apple and orange comparison! Take a C6 out and drive it aggressively then tell me how it feels? Stang will feel like you're driving a truck in comparison imo... I've tracked several stangs including the GT500 (nice car) but there is a HUGE handling difference.. huge! GT suspension is marginal at best and the car is simply to heavy for tossing it around on the twisties. My vette is SC'd and running 525 rwhp and absolutely stones a GT500 with the weight differential so it's hard for me to really compare them.

As plain as the C6 interior is it's light years ahead of the GT 500 in almost every catagory. Again it's all in the eye of beholder. Keep in mind MANY here could have just as easy bought a GT500 but went with a C6! They are very very different cars in almost every way possible. I think of GT 500 in the Camero class.... period. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car if that's what you are looking for.... it's just for me. As to what to buy.... best advice is drive a C6 and decide for yourself! I don't think you'll be disappointed in any C6 you might purchase and there are some GREAT deals out there right now....
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if your friend has a stock C6, switch cars and both of you drive both sanely. if you like it, buy one. if not, don't.

the differences are far too many to go into here. suffice to say one was made completely differently, and most likely, for a different driving experience than the other. that's not taking any kudos or plaudits away from the mustang at all. it is a recognition of fact.

by the time you get done with a C6 to match some of the equipment (but you won't need the same amount of rwhp due to significant weight difference betw. the two cars), you'll be getting up there in cost, esp. if you want reliability, too. it's one thing to stay stock in either car. it's another to begin the modification process with all its attendant potential for things going wrong.

you are "paying to play" in the Mustang world. you will have to do the same in the Corvette world. make your choice based on your wallet but recognize if you guess wrong, you'll be out of a lot of cash, or looking at a lawn ornament.

all just my opinion, ymmv.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Definitely understand they are two very different cars. I have always loved the corvette (lets not let my ford bretheren hear that ) and to me it has always (especially the C6) looked and performed like a Race car/Sports car should compared to the Mustang.

I have already suggested to my buddy a switch for a day with his C6 to see how I like the car. His is a base C6 manual with HUD. I have ridden in it many times and love the ride. Very low to the ground and even though its the LS2 it is definitely no slouch straight line acceleration.

Have any of you been torn between two rides...your Corvette and another?

Tough decision.

So as far as bolt ons go, what is the LS2-LS3 potential? For example: Air intake, tune, exhaust...where would that net me HP wise? Might throw in a cam down the road as well.

Very much appreciate all the help guys. Just trying to get some feedback on this car and its potential.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That stang is really nice.
Originally Posted by Don LT-1
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Groan.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by AORoads
if your friend has a stock C6, switch cars and both of you drive both sanely. if you like it, buy one. if not, don't.
Great idea.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS WON
The new Mustang is a beautiful car. Ford did right this time and it gets the heads up for reliability.
I have both but my Pony is an old 5.0. and not even close to a GT-500.

I find the Pony car is definitely a better daily driver if that's what you will be doing. Parking it is easier than parking Corvette. I have better vision looking outward in all directions in Pony car.
Corvette is more difficult to maneuver because of vision and length of car-big.
Corvette rides alot better and smoother because of IRS with lighter weight advantage over GT-500
The Mustang is still using that Live rear axle which is proven itself to be very durable compared to Corvette but not as smooth as IRS on Corvette. Base Corvette just rides alot better. I don't know about Z-06 which would probably be more comparable to GT-500.

Every little thing associated with Corvette is alot more expensive than on my pony car. With GT-500 I don't know how this will be as that's a limited production vehicle which is one thing it has over the Corvette.

I'm sure the GT-500 would cost alot more than the Corvette to purchase as this is suppose to be the last year of production and the stealership marking the GT-500 up and up in price. I saw GT-500 convertible and they were asking $90,000+
That is CTS-V sedan $$$ territory with change which will slaughter a GT-500.
Of course all of the cars above are different like oranges to apples but when it comes down to it get the one YOU feel the best in.
Much appreciated!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Resale on Shelby will always be better

Going from 2010 to 2005 car will be let down

U gave a great car
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Don LT-1
Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Resale on Shelby will always be better

Going from 2010 to 2005 car will be let down

U gave a great car
I appreciate the compliment, but why would it be a let down?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Corvette =

Mustang =
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by cthusker
Once again apple and orange comparison! Take a C6 out and drive it aggressively then tell me how it feels? Stang will feel like you're driving a truck in comparison imo... I've tracked several stangs including the GT500 (nice car) but there is a HUGE handling difference.. huge! GT suspension is marginal at best and the car is simply to heavy for tossing it around on the twisties. My vette is SC'd and running 525 rwhp and absolutely stones a GT500 with the weight differential so it's hard for me to really compare them.

As plain as the C6 interior is it's light years ahead of the GT 500 in almost every catagory. Again it's all in the eye of beholder. Keep in mind MANY here could have just as easy bought a GT500 but went with a C6! They are very very different cars in almost every way possible. I think of GT 500 in the Camero class.... period. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car if that's what you are looking for.... it's just for me. As to what to buy.... best advice is drive a C6 and decide for yourself! I don't think you'll be disappointed in any C6 you might purchase and there are some GREAT deals out there right now....
Thank you for your honest opinion. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Your last statement hits the nail on the head as why I have been looking at the Corvette. Always wanted one, they are a great sports car, and there are some amazing deals right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)

Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Depends on what you are really looking for. Looks like you like horsepower having 540 hp with the gt500. I would at least guarantee you if you would to get an 2008 or newer C6 that with a few bolt on's Exhaust that the C6 would be faster than your GT500. In terms of Quarter mile performance. It just gets that much better.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Thank you for your honest opinion. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Your last statement hits the nail on the head as why I have been looking at the Corvette. Always wanted one, they are a great sports car, and there are some amazing deals right now.
The solution is pricey but if you could have em both.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should be able to find a C6 with the LS3 for a decent price.. go that route.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)