Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Looking at land rover

Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
c213854
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at land rover

What is a fair price for a 2005 land rover lr3 hse about to turn 90k with all the options but third row seat in very good condition well maintained? I have looked around but they seem to be all over the board.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 AM
syphon157
Advanced

Originally Posted by c213854
What is a fair price for a 2005 land rover lr3 hse about to turn 90k with all the options but third row seat in very good condition well maintained? I have looked around but they seem to be all over the board.

Thanks
Dennis
www.kbb.com

or NADA guides
Old 08-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

RUN, don't walk away from Land Rovers - worst reliability in their class!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
My brother bought an '05 ls3 with 52,000 miles in "great" condition, well maintained...etc. The motor seized up before it hit 55,000 miles. NO warning signs at all. This was a one owner car with maintenance records. Save yourself the headache and avoid it!

To answer your question, an '05 with 90,000 miles to me is worthless.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newer Rovers are much better. Try and find a nice 2009 or 10 model. I would also still buy a warranty. I think some of the 2007 and 2008 models were ok but do some research on a Rover forum before buying.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Trademeyourc5
Pro

My experience with rovers is you buy the top model or none at all. There top models like sc models are great and run for a while but thats a Range Rover and not a land rover which is bottom of the barrel ****. What are you looking to spend on one? I sell quite a few Range Rovers but we only sell HSE Supercharged models really.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

No way in hell.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

I have an '08 Sport Supercharged. About 52K on the odometer and no issues. Just needed the battery replaced last winter.

Agree with the comment above to buy a "newer" model. 90's and early 2000's we're not so great, but that was mostly the Discovery models for the US market, hence the Discovery II to help rebuild that model's image.

Land Lover's reliability improved with the 06's models, in which most models had major design changes. I'd stick to an '06 or newer if I we're buying used.

Forget about the people who say "now way in hell". They probably never owned a LR, but everyone they know who did had trouble.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

How many Land Rovers have you had? If you look up the numbers yes, Land Rover falls at the bottom of the list in terms of issues per vehicle. However, it's only about a .66 issue per vehicle spread. Land Rovers average around 1.5 issues per vehicle, the top of the list just under 1 issue per vehicle. I really don't see that as a big deal.

Originally Posted by Trademeyourc5
My experience with rovers is you buy the top model or none at all. There top models like sc models are great and run for a while but thats a Range Rover and not a land rover which is bottom of the barrel ****. What are you looking to spend on one? I sell quite a few Range Rovers but we only sell HSE Supercharged models really.
What!?!?!?! You sell these things and that is your knowledge of them? Land Rover is the BRAND. i.e. saying a car is a Land Rover is like saying it is a Chevrolet. Range Rover is a MODEL, so saying something is a Range Rover is like saying it is a Silverado. Range Rover Sport is also a MODEL but it is an entirely different model than a Range Rover. The Range Rover is in fact considered the higher end model than the Range Rover Sport (and the RR costs more than the RRS). The LR3 is also a different MODEL. The RRS actually shares most of its chassis/suspension w/ the LR3, not with the RR.

On both the RR and RRS HSE and Supercharged are TRIM LEVELS. So saying you have a Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged is like saying you have a Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. There is no such thing as a HSE Superchaged. It's one or the other. HSE is a lower trim (like LT on a Silverado). Supercharge is the higher trim, which of course also gets the blower.

If you search my old posts you'll find plenty I've posted about all of this. Every car can have issues, and it's all about getting a well taken care of vehicle and the right year/model from a manufacturer.

I had a '06 IS250 which was a Lemon. It was not a fluke, there were TONS of '06 and early '07 IS250s that were Lemon'ed for the same reason mine was. Mine also had 3 recalls besides the issue that made it a Lemon, and those included the fuel system (fuel lines that would rub through and allow fuel to poor on hot engine parts), brakes (rear brake issue), and steering (the whole rack needs replacing under the recall). Fuel, brakes and steering are 3 pretty important systems in my book, and a car that has recalls on all 3 along with another problem (carbon build up on the valves causing poor idling/surging which can cause the car to jump forward when stopped) is a piece of junk. And that was a damn Toyota product (Lexus). Now, late '07 and up IS250s are actually pretty nice cars and they took care of all of the issues.

My '06 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged on the other hand was rock solid for the year I owned it. I bought it from the original owners who only had two issues with it (a recall for an underpowered air compressor for the suspension and one window track that broke). So that actually puts that truck above the Land Rover average of 1.5 issues per vehicle. Does that make it a POS with lots of issues? I sure don't think so. I sold it to a good friend who I work with and I see the truck every day. He's had no further issues with it other than one sway bar bushing that is starting to squeak. The truck has been 4 wheeled heavily, towed, and even AutoXed (pics below) and is around 95k miles now.

I have a '11 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ now and I've had it in for three issues (smoke during regen due to a bad seal on the downpipe, CEL due to an under-boost code, and a cracked coolant overflow bottle). All three are known issues with TSBs out and quick fixes. All 3 happened by about 3k miles (the CEL first came on around 300miles). That means at 3k miles my Silvy already had 50% more issues than a nearly 100k mi LR. Does that make it a POS? Hell no! It's a complicated machine, things will need some work from time to time.

If you like the LR3s just find a really clean example, with one owner, and ALL service records. Sign up on the LR boards and learn to work on it yourself because LR dealers do charge a good bit more per hour than most. Enjoy!

-TJ

My old RRS SC being abused in various ways:

Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

I think that's the first time I've ever seen a Land Rover off road.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Sadly, the OP asked specifically about an 05. The 05 and 06 LR3s have proven to be very unreliable with problemic areas that include:

Drive system
Fuel system
Climate system
Suspension
Brakes
Body integrity
Body hardware
Power equipment
Audio system

So few people bought them in 07-10 that frequency of repair ratings cannot be reliably calculated. I guess folks stayed away in droves because they learned their lesson from experience or from others with first-hand experience.

As I said, stay away!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 AM
c213854
Instructor

Looks like I'm going to look for a newer model. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
I think that's the first time I've ever seen a Land Rover off road.
I know the large majority of them are used as soccer-Mom-mobiles but a lot of them do get wheeled. Especially if you look outside the US they have a long history of off roading. Also, in other countries (especially the UK) they are the "big" tow vehicle of choice since you just don't find 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

The LR club I was in (yes, I was in a LR club... flame suit on) actually did monthly wheeling trips. You'd be amazed what these things can do with the air suspension, factory lockers, a real low range, etc. And I'm not a wheeling n00b that's impressed when a truck drives over a lawn. I've been wheeling and duning over a decade. A friend and I had what we still believe to be the smallest tired rig ever to make it up Tank Traps in Hollister Hills (where the annual Top Truck Challenge is). I spent most weekends there for a few years. My RRS would have kept climbing that hill where I took the pic but I called it good 'nough.

Sadly, the OP asked specifically about an 05. The 05 and 06 LR3s have proven to be very unreliable with problemic areas that include:

Drive system
Fuel system
Climate system
Suspension
Brakes
Body integrity
Body hardware
Power equipment
Audio system

So few people bought them in 07-10 that frequency of repair ratings cannot be reliably calculated. I guess folks stayed away in droves because they learned their lesson from experience or from others with first-hand experience.

As I said, stay away!
The Automotive GOD has spoken... better STAY AWAY!!!!!!! Seriously, who in the hell are you that you think you can talk definitively about every automotive topic ever with zero empirical evidence to back up your statements?

As I stated before LRs do have problems, but most vehicles do. And the 1 or 2 extra problems you might have in a LR vs. say a 4Runner are easily worth it to many of us. Before I got the big enclosed trailer my LR RRS SC served every purpose I needed amazingly. If I hadn't moved up to the big trailer it'd still be mine. I had zero problems with it, neither has the new owner. The RRS is based on the LR3 so I have no reason to believe a LR3 will be any "worse".

Would a newer one be better? Sure - but you can say that about any vehicle.

Originally Posted by c213854
Looks like I'm going to look for a newer model. Thanks for all the feedback.
A newer model isn't a bad idea, but what is more important is a one owner, well cared for, fully documented vehicle. Look at see what issues it's had and how/when they were addressed. Also, I highly recommend getting on the LR boards where actual owners with actual knowledge about these vehicles can give you factual answers - rather than just spewing unfounded BS like Dave68 does. I guess he'll never be happy until everybody on CF buys a MX6 GT.

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 08-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

tjz06 is the first person I have ever seen actually use a land rover's capabilities lol

well, new ones at least. I've seen some way old rovers that have seen some action.

And to topic creator, do you have any interest in the new Jeep grand cherokees? I drove a fully loaded one with the adjustable ride height and everything and was pretty impressed. Interior was good quality and comfortable as well. Just a thought
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by tjZ06
actual owners with actual knowledge about these vehicles can give you factual answers - rather than just spewing unfounded BS like Dave68 does. I guess he'll never be happy until everybody on CF buys a MX6 GT.

-TJ
Actually, I was hoping he'd buy an all-wheel drive Mazda 323 GTX turbo:

Seriously, there is a HUGE difference in reliability between, say a Toyota/Lexus four wheeler SUV and a 2005 Land Rover. The Land Rover, according to many more owners surveyed that you'll ever know, gave (by filling in an extensive questionaire) the 05 a much worse than average overall rating. Now, I don't know about you, but I have owned vehicles that have had an "okay" average rating and also own a vehicle that is rated much better than average. The difference in maintenance cost and the hassle of bringing the car in for repair is staggering. I'm talking about a Lexus SUV that has NEVER been in the shop for anything other than tire rotation (6.3 years old). My C5, which was rated average, has been in more than 8 times for non-maintenance issues, one requiring a flatbed tow. Now that's a car that is rated average. The 2005 LR3 is rated MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE.
Now, there are Corvette owners who have sworn that nothing has ever gone wrong or if so, was just very minor but statistics show that if you have a Corvette, your car will not be as reliable as a Honda S2000.
Say all you want that you know this S2000 owner who had more problems than your Corvette but the fact remains that the S2000 owner has a much better chance of not having any problems (assuming both cars were purchased new and were maintained properly).
Go ahead and peruse the Land Rover forums. Now do the same with the Lexus forums. You will easily see the difference.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
tjz06 is the first person I have ever seen actually use a land rover's capabilities lol

well, new ones at least. I've seen some way old rovers that have seen some action.

And to topic creator, do you have any interest in the new Jeep grand cherokees? I drove a fully loaded one with the adjustable ride height and everything and was pretty impressed. Interior was good quality and comfortable as well. Just a thought
Haha, I swear you guys just need to look harder. I'd see literally brand new LRs (dealer plates and all) pretty often at all the 4x4 parks I used to frequent. And seriously, what other truck can you tow a race car to the track with, then use it to finish your runs when the race car breaks, then tow the race car home? Then take it 2hrs off the nearest paved road and climb a dirt wall?

I also agree, the new GC is a really nice rig and it's clear they went after the RRS market. If the OP is looking at '05 LR3s I'm guessing the brand new GC is out of his price range though.

Actually, I was hoping he'd buy an all-wheel drive Mazda 323 GTX turbo:

Seriously, there is a HUGE difference in reliability between, say a Toyota/Lexus four wheeler SUV and a 2005 Land Rover. The Land Rover, according to many more owners surveyed that you'll ever know, gave (by filling in an extensive questionaire) the 05 a much worse than average overall rating. Now, I don't know about you, but I have owned vehicles that have had an "okay" average rating and also own a vehicle that is rated much better than average. The difference in maintenance cost and the hassle of bringing the car in for repair is staggering. I'm talking about a Lexus SUV that has NEVER been in the shop for anything other than tire rotation (6.3 years old). My C5, which was rated average, has been in more than 8 times for non-maintenance issues, one requiring a flatbed tow. Now that's a car that is rated average. The 2005 LR3 is rated MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE.
Now, there are Corvette owners who have sworn that nothing has ever gone wrong or if so, was just very minor but statistics show that if you have a Corvette, your car will not be as reliable as a Honda S2000.
Say all you want that you know this S2000 owner who had more problems than your Corvette but the fact remains that the S2000 owner has a much better chance of not having any problems (assuming both cars were purchased new and were maintained properly).
Go ahead and peruse the Land Rover forums. Now do the same with the Lexus forums. You will easily see the difference.
I almoooooooooooooooooost bought a 323 GTX a few years back. I ended up with a Galant VR4 instead.

Anyway, we can argue about this all day, we're never going to agree. I'll give you a few more counter-points though:

My personal IS250 that was a Lemon, and how common that is for the '06-early '07 IS250s.

My buddies S2000 that had to go into the shop about 5 times to get rid of a roof leak (oh noes, an S2000 isn't perfect either!?!?!?!?!).

You can have problems with any vehicle. My point about LRs is that in general you VERY LIKELY WILL have more problems than a 4Runner or something you might consider comparable (not that a 4Runner can actually do what the LRs do... but that's another story). However, a few extra issues are worth it to most of us that want a LR. Now, I wouldn't recommend any Disco, a P38 or anything like that - they are terrible no doubt (which is where LR got it's bad rep). But the LR3, RRS and later RRs are pretty solid trucks. The issues they do have are well known and documented, and generaly easy/cheap fixes (unlike the P38 where some very expensive systems are known to fail).

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 08-11-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I leased an '05 for 24 month, didn't give me any troubles except it was lower on the passenger side than the driver side in the fornt, spent quite some time with their customer service dept and dealer's area rep, they kept telling me it's normal and it's designed this way for off roading, ..., Ummm OK, how come the other ones on the showroom floor are even (bastards). It was literraly 10 or so inches lower on one side. So glad it was leased and done and over with it.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteship
It was literraly 10 or so inches lower on one side.

You bought a vehicle that was 10 inches lower on one side? And drove it for 2 years?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at land rover

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at land rover