Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

From Z06 to GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
duc1098
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mookster
GTR is FUGLY@!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Wish I could afford the GT-R alongside the Z06. Both are equally great competitive high performance cars in my book. Breaking it down between the two is based on personal criteria: AWD vs. RWD, Paddle shift vs. Manual, TT V6 vs. Big Cubed V8, Back seat vs. 2 seats, looks (very subjective), etc. Nissan has admittedly done a commendable job improving it every year, cranking up power to 545 for 2013 and making it notably quicker than previous GT-Rs. I don’t know personally but I have heard that the increase in power has brought more fun factor into the driving. Nice seeing some old forum members over there. Regardless, I still love my Z but respect the GT-R.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have owned two C6's and LOVED both of them!

I have owned my GT-R for a year and a half and LOVE it.

I love all cars. Doesn't matter if they are American, Japanese, Italian or German et.

It will be VERY hard though to part with all wheel drive and a DCT transmission. Running 10.7 @ 130mph actually feels a bit slow to me these days....

One BIG problem the Z06 and ZR1 are notorious for is heat soak and that's unacceptable to me.

You can hop lap any GT-R all day and it it's performance won't decrees.

I'm not a brand ***** and I'm proud of it!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FLC6

One BIG problem the Z06 and ZR1 are notorious for is heat soak and that's unacceptable to me.
Heat soak in a Z06. Uh, no.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Heat soak in a Z06. Uh, no.
You must not do much drag racing....

Here is a quote from C5frank who has run 10's in his stock 06 Z06 so I think he is qualified.

"I have owned my '06 Z06 since new. I wanted to chime in regarding this chat about only adding a tune for 60+ hp on a otherwise stock C6Z06.... It is absolute hogwash!!! I can tell you my stock Z has dynoed as low as 427 rwhp sae and as high as 471 rwhp sae all stock on the same day and same dyno...... HEAT is the key. When my Z is at normal operating temps, it dynos in the 455-460 range.... when it is on the hot side... it drops dramatically... to as low as 427 rwhp sae.... Once a 45 min cool down is done, it jumped to 471rwhp sae!!!! NO TUNE NO NOTHING.
A tune might add 15-20 rwhp tops.... but if the predyno is done when the car is hot.... and the post dyno is cool.... BINGO!!!! 60 RWHP...."
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great car to move to, hope to add it to my garage some day. but not letting go the big block!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
One person on the forum sold his z06 bought GT-R sold his GT-R bought new Z06 enough said.
z51vett
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
One person on the forum sold his z06 bought GT-R sold his GT-R bought new Z06 enough said.
z51vett
I wonder who that might be?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
I wonder who that might be?
Can you gives a quick and honest summary of why you went back to Z06?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mookster
Can you gives a quick and honest summary of why you went back to Z06?
sure thing. I had an 07Z (build date 12/06) for almost 3 years. I had 0 issues with the car. I've owned a few vettes and also a few AWD cars and figured: why not combine the power of the Z06 with the beauty of AWD? Answer: the 2012 GT-R. the '12 was supposed to be all that and a bag of chips, improving the transmission and about 20+ other refinements.

long story short, the 2nd day of owning my brand new 2012 GT-R, the car went into limp mode during a cruise with about 30 other cars, mostly vettes from the forum. I limped the car back 50 miles or so home and after several weeks of diagnostics the transmission needed to be repalced due to a faulty shift fork b sensor. the car also developed a leaking rear diff, weird clunking noises from right half shaft, body panels didn't line up correctly, and paint issues on rear of bumper from shipping process. I got everything fixed (under warranty, thank god i didn't mod) and sold it after owning the car for about 3 months. Funny thing, it went to a guy that just sold a ZR1 to buy the GT-R, hell i would of swapped The bad got ugly when about a week later the new owner emailed me pics of the clear coat peeling right off the hood. is this what 90k just bought me?

Everyone has their opinion on comparing the Z against the G. sure they both have 4 wheels and fast but both are apples and oranges. you can do things in the GT-R that you can't in the Z06 and vice versa. the GT-R is like a slingshot from 0-60. after that, it gets boring to me, esp. for normal street use. keep it to the floor for more than 3 seconds and you are either an idiot or you're going to be pulled over real soon the Z is alot of car as well and will get you into the same trouble on the streets. the C6 is pretty straight forward believe it or not compared to the technology in the GT-R. heck if you fart you might get a check engine light. I know the C6 has alot of computers, etc but i feel more connected with the Z06 when driving it, mabye it's just the clutch/shifting. I do enjoy raking the gears, getting squirmy and making some noise under bridges with the exhaust valves open. the GT-R just didn't have that muscle car ***** to the walls sound, even with a Y pipe.

in the end, the whole GT-R experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily I bought the car right and didn't take much of a bath. so in return i'm putting a good chunk down on a 2012 Z06 order. can't wait to be back home
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned two C6's and LOVED both of them!

I have owned my GT-R for a year and a half and LOVE it.

I love all cars. Doesn't matter if they are American, Japanese, Italian or German et.

It will be VERY hard though to part with all wheel drive and a DCT transmission. Running 10.7 @ 130mph actually feels a bit slow to me these days....

I'm not a brand ***** and I'm proud of it!
Heat soak a Z06? Not likely. I drag raced my 06 and 08. When it was 50 outside it ran 127 all day back to back runs. When it was 105 it ran 126 back to back. ZR1 was a different story.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 AM
HeyDanNiceShot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I just listed my Z for sale a week ago to do this exact thing. BUT.. I'll be the first to admit my Z06 is way more fun to drive than the GT-R. It's just that AWD capability I NEED. I'm from the Seattle area as well, and with our mix of weather it's just a matter of capability. Yes, I will be that guy who puts snow tires on his GT-R (even though it won't be my daily driver). I bought my Z06 specifically for road trips, and it's served me VERY well, but I spend a lot of time up in Whistler and around BC, as well as going back and forth across our mountain passes and I want a more fun car to make those trips in, year round if I want to. Is it a better car, no, I honestly don't think it is, and I say that purely on the fact that it isn't even close to as much fun to drive as the Z06, but the Z06 in the snow isn't exactly fun. In a warmer climate, I wouldn't ever consider selling the Z06, unless it was for a ZR1 or C7.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 AM
OnTarget1
Instructor

Its a free country and one can buy whatever they want. I believe the attraction is the ease of driving, requires no skill . I view my TTS in the same manner but my GT2 (the Widow Maker) can be a bear to drive and requires complete driver involvement.

Last edited by OnTarget1; 02-24-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm one of those narrow minded, long suffering Corvette guys. Too late for me to change after 40 years of Corvettes. Besides, I like the roar of an American V8. I don't like 6 cylinders and the styling of a car is not unimportant. IMO the GTR is hideous
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Until the brakes give out. Then the overall performance will decrease rather dramatically.

jas
Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
btrapps
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both an 08 Z06 and a 2012 GT-R. The GT-R is my daily driver but I swap out regularly between both cars. They both are different animals as mentioned above. The GT-R is very composed and quick. The Z06 is raw and reminds me of driving any number of American muscle cars back in the day... I love that feeling by the way! The GT-R is no joke.. At speed the car is very composed and easy to drive fast, the Z06 darts around and is more of a handful to drive fast. I haven't tracked the GT-R yet but I plan to in a few weeks. I would almost guarantee a faster lap in the GT-R vs. the Z06 with me driving both. I love them both for different reasons. I think anyone that has a Z06 would enjoy a GT-R. Most of the comments from those that haven't driven one should be taken with a grain of salt. Ugly looks are subjective.. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
btrapps
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Until the brakes give out. Then the overall performance will decrease rather dramatically.

jas
The brakes on the GT-R are ridiculous.. Why would they give out? Have you ever even driven a GT-R?

Get notified of new replies

To From Z06 to GT-R

Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by btrapps
Most of the comments from those that haven't driven one should be taken with a grain of salt. Ugly looks are subjective..
Think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

As a car guy, I really like the GTR and respect it for what it is and what it can do. However, I just love the old school muscle car power and the thrill of being behind the wheel of a car that acts like it wants to kill me whenever I mash the throttle.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by btrapps
The brakes on the GT-R are ridiculous.. Why would they give out? Have you ever even driven a GT-R?
The same brake mod will perform better on a z than a gtr because z has less mass to slow down its simple physics

Quick Reply: From Z06 to GT-R