Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Replaced my z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
While I personally would likely go with a Mustang GT 5.0 in that price range, the 370Z (the base model at least) is priced well in my opinion.
But even at that good pricing I'm really surprised they haven't sold better.

I'm sure that you know this already but, those numbers for the Z06 have long since been FAR exceeded/bettered in private hands. More like 10.9@128+mph in the 1/4 mile and probably closer to 3.0 seconds flat in 0-60. The car is far more capable than some of those magazine tests have shown.
Of course the 370Z on a drag strip in private hands might run quicker than what was shown in that test as well.
You're right. People in the stock 370Z have gone high 12's in the automatic, and very low 13's in the manual, 0-60's in the mid 4's.

That wasn't what I was pointing out, though, as I know the Z06 is WAY faster than my 370Z. I was pointing out that the 370Z handled better. That amazes me. Similar weight, much narrower tires and softer ride, and Edmunds still gets better handling numbers from the 370Z.

sure, it was on different days, but the point is the two cars were close enough that day to day there may be a different winner. To me, that is impressive!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The huge weakness of 370Zs has been its brakes:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lightning-lap

Hopefully, Nissan has stepped up to the plate and fixed them.
As far as handling for the bucks, Car & Driver recently pitted the 370Z against a slew of other sub-$40,000 cars. The 370Z came in 4th behind the Mustang GT (3rd), the Mazda MX5 (2nd) and the Mitsu EVO (1st).
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
That's what I ran into. I was pushing the go-pedal to smile, and it just made no sense to me why I should have to. Figured at that price point, if all it did that made me smile was go fast, I had bought the wrong car.
Hey, no one can really fault ya for that, if it wasn't doing it for ya then it wasn't doing it for ya.
Me personally, I enjoy just driving my C6 (a modified base car, not a Z06 but almost as fast as one) down the street at a leisurely 25mph almost as much as I do at wide open throttle on the highway or the drag strip.
After all these years people (especially kids) still stare at it and yell out "nice car!" and/or give a thumbsup and such all of the time, and I guess I dig that part too.

Originally Posted by Dave68

As far as handling for the bucks, Car & Driver recently pitted the 370Z against a slew of other sub-$40,000 cars. The 370Z came in 4th behind the Mustang GT (3rd), the Mazda MX5 (2nd) and the Mitsu EVO (1st).
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is, why the Z(although I kinda like em myself). If you were looking to feel better during your ride, why not go with a G37 coupe? The prices around here I notice have dropped like rocks on used ones, all but to the point of similar mileage G35 coupes. Still needed that edge of a real sports car?

Good luck to ya man. I hear mixed opinions all the time about them. Something breaking inside, something acting up on suspension/brakes, and then other guys that say regardless of mileage they've put on it, its solid as a day 1. A GT would probably edge the 370z out for me, but driving in such a small, darty, but packs an umph car must be a blast. Handling flaws aside, I love driving my c4 with its shorter wheelbase. Point, shoot, and to hell with the bumps.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave68

I doubt the 370Z's brakes with OEM fluid would handle hot laps at VIR, but then, if I were doing that I would have kept the Z06. That's why I sold it. I was giving up too much enjoyment during the 95% of my driving that a Z06 would do nothing to enhance over a 370Z, and a lot to detract (stereo, interior, etc.)

I remember that article, let me go check it out if I can find it.

*ETA:
In the mean time, I would remind you that the Z06/Z07 did very poorly as well when Car and Driver tested it in the same manner.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...tte-z06-page-3

It came in behind the RX8, and M3 (which the GT has been compared to...), and to top it all off, Car and Driver agrees 100% with what I have been saying about why I got rid of my Z06...

That pretty much sums up our problem with the whole car: It seems to have been designed to be satisfying only at the track, whereas the five cars that follow can juggle both environments.
EDIT (again):

Okay, read your story about the 370Z. Yep, brake-fade is an issue with it it seems, but I never did anything in my Z06 that I can't do in my 370Z on the street.
As to oil temps, well, I will play it by ear. The 2012 has an oil cooler similar to the 2011 and newer Z06 and ZR1 (coolant/oil), and so far my oil temps in the 370Z have run IDENTICAL to the Z06 on the highway at 75 (about 195-200*F). I noticed during traffic, the oil temp creeps up as I accelerate, decelerate. However, when I sit still idling, the temperature actually DROPS to about 185-190*F. I found that backward from every American car I have owned. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the VQ37 has no intake cam(s) and infinitely adjust intake valve timing. This means it can modify the A/F ratio like it was made to run only at idle, while my cam-in-block cars have all been a "compromise", in that they are mechanically better at certain rpms than others regarding air/fuel, etc. I have yet to break 210*F in any condition (still breaking it in and keeping it under 4K rpm, though! Now WOT in any gears. Same as my Z06, which used no oil what-so-ever once broken in, so I'm following the same method.)

Supporting this is the table-top flat torque curve from 2,000-7000 rpm. Granted, it's a tiny table, but the gearing and lofty redline makes up for it. 5-60 stock for stock is the same as a C5 6-speed.

Last edited by BSSN; 03-02-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
My question is, why the Z(although I kinda like em myself). If you were looking to feel better during your ride, why not go with a G37 coupe? The prices around here I notice have dropped like rocks on used ones, all but to the point of similar mileage G35 coupes. Still needed that edge of a real sports car?
Yes, the 370Z was right about where I wanted to be on the spectrum of sport/luxury. I would have gone 335i instead of G37 as I am not keen on the looks.

Good luck to ya man. I hear mixed opinions all the time about them. Something breaking inside, something acting up on suspension/brakes, and then other guys that say regardless of mileage they've put on it, its solid as a day 1. A GT would probably edge the 370z out for me, but driving in such a small, darty, but packs an umph car must be a blast. Handling flaws aside, I love driving my c4 with its shorter wheelbase. Point, shoot, and to hell with the bumps.
I am really loving it. It's a bit faster than a C5, I think, based on feel, now that I have my Berk catback on it, and some Z1 smooth post-MAF hoses (soon getting Cosworth drop-in filters). The 370Z basically has a CAI from the factory, just have to smooth the airflow and put in a high-flow filter and you are within about 5whp of the aftermarket CAI's (Stillen GN3's) for a lot less money and not having to mess with cutting body parts for fit.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Hey, no one can really fault ya for that, if it wasn't doing it for ya then it wasn't doing it for ya.
Me personally, I enjoy just driving my C6 (a modified base car, not a Z06 but almost as fast as one) down the street at a leisurely 25mph almost as much as I do at wide open throttle on the highway or the drag strip.
After all these years people (especially kids) still stare at it and yell out "nice car!" and/or give a thumbsup and such all of the time, and I guess I dig that part too.

I think the base C6 is the best version unless you do HPDE's, or don't mind tickets.

I have gotten a ton of attention in the 370Z so far. Way more than the C6Z. That's neither here nor there, but it surprises the heck out of me and I admit it does make me smile when hot women compliment my car (never happened in the Z06). Women, kids, men, everyone seems to have something positive to say. While I didn't buy it for more attention, and I am sure I will get negative attention, too, it's worth mentioning that yes, 370Z owners were correct, it does draw more attention.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

You sound just like me back in '09 when the 370z came out. I had recently sold my Z06 and was looking for something different. I read all the articles on the 370 and bought one in blue. Love it! The rev-matching 6 speed worked great and sounded great on every downshift. The car handled great and "felt" as though you could do things with it that you couldn't do in a Corvette. The power seemed very respectable, as you mentioned, similar to a C5 Corvette.

fastforward 3 months...

the new feeling wore off, got sick of hearing the rev-matching 6 speed so I would turn it off, realized you could do anything in a Vette you could do in the 370, and the lack of power (330 horsepower) got real old...

one week later I sold it.

My thoughts are this, if you've never owned a true performance car, or even something new, then the 370 will seem like a fantastic car. If you have and you're simply just trying something different, you'll get sick of it quicker than you think.

I felt as though I was always trying to convince myself that I really liked it. When you do that, it's time to move on.

Obviously, you're not me and your feelings may be completely different. But going backwards from a C6 Z to a 370z, I think in less than a year you'll agree.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

A buddy of mine has a 2007 C6Z06 with 150k miles on it. I think they make absolutely great Daily Drivers, and I'd love to have one for that role(someday).

But everyone has different views and standards.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a bit faster than a C5, I think, based on feel, now that I have my Berk catback on it, and some Z1 smooth post-MAF hoses (soon getting Cosworth drop-in filters).
Yes, now that you have a few mods on your 370Z it is very likely quicker than a base stock C5 automatic with 2.73 gears.
But do keep in mind that the quickest bone stock C5 LS1 manuals have gone 12.6s at over 110mph in the 1/4 mile.
The quickest bolt ons only (that's stock heads/stock cam/naturally aspirated) C5 LS1 just recently went 11.0@121+mph.
Not that you mentioned them at all but C5 Z06s have gone 11.7/11.8 bone stock and one has even gone a 10.8@125mph with just bolt ons.
Now, I know you weren't trying to turn it into a C5 competition/boxing match or anything, but just wanted to make sure that you were well informed about some of the C5's accomplishments.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Yes, now that you have a few mods on your 370Z it is very likely quicker than a base stock C5 automatic with 2.73 gears.
But do keep in mind that the quickest bone stock C5 LS1 manuals have gone 12.6s at over 110mph in the 1/4 mile.
The quickest bolt ons only (that's stock heads/stock cam/naturally aspirated) C5 LS1 just recently went 11.0@121+mph.
Not that you mentioned them at all but C5 Z06s have gone 11.7/11.8 bone stock and one has even gone a 10.8@125mph with just bolt ons.
Now, I know you weren't trying to turn it into a C5 competition/boxing match or anything, but just wanted to make sure that you were well informed about some of the C5's accomplishments.
I'm not worried about winning or losing a drag race so much, just describing the car by relating it to one we are almost all more familiar with. As far as I know, the fastest 370 was around 12.9@107 or so, stock.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the 370Z is indeed a fine car, why not just fix the aforementioned problems with some of the many products in the Corvette aftermarket?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I've had C6's since 2005, so in anticipation of the C7, I sold my 2007 coupe last summer when someone offered me more than what I paid for it. Lately I've been itching for a sports car again and since the 2nd model year C7 (I would never buy the first year) is still about three years away, I bought a mint condition 2010 370Z 40th anniversary edition a couple of weeks ago.....only 3K miles on it.

I'm still primarily a Corvette person and will definitely have another at some point, but for now, the 370Z is nice change. This car is an absolute blast to drive, and the rev-matching stick is a treat. There is also a level of solid quality that the C6 did not have, but hopefully that will change with the C7. This Z has really won me over....so much so that the next gen Z and GT-R will join the short list for my next sports car in a few years.
Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
While the 370Z is indeed a fine car, why not just fix the aforementioned problems with some of the many products in the Corvette aftermarket?
It would have cost me enough that I could have upgraded to a GT-R.
I budgeted for the Z06 and was fine with it. I did not budget for a GT-R, and I could not justify dropping $15K ON TOP of my Z06 when I want to buy land in the near future.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I've had C6's since 2005, so in anticipation of the C7, I sold my 2007 coupe last summer when someone offered me more than what I paid for it. Lately I've been itching for a sports car again and since the 2nd model year C7 (I would never buy the first year) is still about three years away, I bought a mint condition 2010 370Z 40th anniversary edition a couple of weeks ago.....only 3K miles on it.

I'm still primarily a Corvette person and will definitely have another at some point, but for now, the 370Z is nice change. This car is an absolute blast to drive, and the rev-matching stick is a treat. There is also a level of solid quality that the C6 did not have, but hopefully that will change with the C7. This Z has really won me over....so much so that the next gen Z and GT-R will join the short list for my next sports car in a few years.
I love the color scheme of the 40th's. Welcome to "The other" Z-car. You're right, the 370Z is more rigid, and the interior is simply something GM can't compare to. It feels like a much more expensive/nicer car than my Z06 did.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished having everything but the doors, hatch, and rear-bumper wrapped in Ventureshield Ultra. Going to let it dry and pick her up Monday, then to the Tint shop for F1 Ceramic 30%.
Ewwwwww.
Honestly, it looks hideous. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Chrome door handles? really?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Hope you enjoy your 370, but I would never buy one. Especially new. Not enough car for the $.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced my z06

Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by b.lee
Ewwwwww.
Meh, its opinion. The corvette interior isn't. I couldn't deal with the cobalt on the inside anymore.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Hope you enjoy your 370, but I would never buy one. Especially new. Not enough car for the $.
This is how I felt about my z06, and why I sold it for the 370.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by b.lee
Ewwwwww.
Hideous? True car enthusiasts usually have enough class and respect not to make rude comments about what others appreciate. Those who feel the need to do so probably have other issues. I'm sure I've been guilty of that myself in the past, but I like to think I've grown beyond such hating and I'm just happy there are so many great sports cars still around for all of us to love and enjoy.

FYI, the door handles aren't chrome...but I suspect you already knew that.

Quick Reply: Replaced my z06