Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

$50 Wasted???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default $50 Wasted???

Ok... I did it.....I paid $49.99 +tax for Silver Star Ultra 9007 Headlight Bulbs for my Ford Explorer Sport Trac. They are reportedly 50% brighter than regular bulbs & as compared to the Regular Silver Star Bulbs at $39.99 are 35% brighter than regular bulbs. So on my way into work tonight I did notice a difference.
I read the back of the package after installing them .... cleverly in small print that " SilverStar Bulbs are engineered to be significantly brighter than ordinary bulbs and due to this design a shorter than normal lifespan is to be expected than ordinary bulbs "

So I think to myself.....what a racket.... they can put a man on the Moon, manage to send two man made Satellites.... Voyager 1 & 2 - 11 Billion Miles away from Earth at 40,000 mph and still communicate with them......but they cant invent a friggin' stable, gas encased lightbulb at a reasonable price that can Outperform/Outlast one of the oldest inventions in Human engineering (incandescence).
So am I the Fool for buying these??? Time will tell. They hold a 12 month guarantee......I laminated the receipt and will keep it close by because if one of these bulbs burn out 7-8 months down the road...Im getting my money back and putting OEM 9007's back in.

This concludes my Rant for this evening... I Thank You for your attention!!!!! You may now return to your regularly scheduled program ....
Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewch87
Ok... I did it.....I paid $49.99 +tax for Silver Star Ultra 9007 Headlight Bulbs for my Ford Explorer Sport Trac. They are reportedly 50% brighter than regular bulbs & as compared to the Regular Silver Star Bulbs at $39.99 are 35% brighter than regular bulbs. So on my way into work tonight I did notice a difference.
I read the back of the package after installing them .... cleverly in small print that " SilverStar Bulbs are engineered to be significantly brighter than ordinary bulbs and due to this design a shorter than normal lifespan is to be expected than ordinary bulbs "

So I think to myself.....what a racket.... they can put a man on the Moon, manage to send two man made Satellites.... Voyager 1 & 2 - 11 Billion Miles away from Earth at 40,000 mph and still communicate with them......but they cant invent a friggin' stable, gas encased lightbulb at a reasonable price that can Outperform/Outlast one of the oldest inventions in Human engineering (incandescence).
So am I the Fool for buying these??? Time will tell. They hold a 12 month guarantee......I laminated the receipt and will keep it close by because if one of these bulbs burn out 7-8 months down the road...Im getting my money back and putting OEM 9007's back in.

This concludes my Rant for this evening... I Thank You for your attention!!!!! You may now return to your regularly scheduled program ....
I run these same bulbs in my daily bearer. 80% of my driving is at night. I have had one burn out after almost two years. It and out just two weeks ago. Replaced it and moved on. They are g2g.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Ps. Stop being a tightwad and just run them if you vale increased performance. If you don't, why did you buy them, anyway? Also, its not in fine print, its included in a picture graph on the back of the package for crying out loud. Just read the rest of your post and was left thinking that you're the kind of guy that complains at resturants because the plate loomed bigger in the tv commercial and demands a free meal.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

If I get two years out of them I will be Less Pissed....but it is a scam. The older sealed beams lasted forever...these Halogen/Xenon Gas Bulbs suck. Yeah Noone put a gun to my head to pay the $50 ...it just seems like "they" are F&%$ing us. For $50 bucks I would expect Brighter Light(as they are) but a Longer Life span. I understand the principles of gas and heat and its effect on lifespan but I guess the small disclaimer set me off!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

If I get two years out of them I will be Less Pissed....but it is a scam. The older sealed beams lasted forever...these Halogen/Xenon Gas Bulbs suck. Yeah Noone put a gun to my head to pay the $50 ...it just seems like "they" are F&%$ing us. For $50 bucks I would expect Brighter Light(as they are) but a Longer Life span. I understand the principles of gas and heat and its effect on lifespan but I guess the small disclaimer set me off!!
Small? It's a huge pictograph on the back of the package. It's not a scam, it performs as advertised, and it is fairly described.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BSSN
Ps. Stop being a tightwad and just run them if you vale increased performance. If you don't, why did you buy them, anyway? Also, its not in fine print, its included in a picture graph on the back of the package for crying out loud. Just read the rest of your post and was left thinking that you're the kind of guy that complains at resturants because the plate loomed bigger in the tv commercial and demands a free meal.
There is no "Tongue in Cheek " smilie..... I make $140 k a year so $50 light bulbs are 1/2 hr for me.....Im having fun dude.....you really need to unwind!!!
BTW...you are right about the restaurants...those marketing people sure do screw us over!!! 'specially them hard workin' folk who eat at Red Lobsta' and do you really think McDonalds 1/4 Lber is the same size as it was 20-30 yrs ago????
Old 02-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Small? It's a huge pictograph on the back of the package. It's not a scam, it performs as advertised, and it is fairly described.
Last time I checked the bulbs came on a small card and the disclaimer was there but stating it as "Huge"....well I guess you lost me there.....anyway I guess my point was lost in the engineering sarcasm........

Last edited by Chewch87; 02-25-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:03 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

I guess my point was lost in the engineering sarcasm........
Considering how people act, you can never be sure if serious or not...
Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Considering how people act, you can never be sure if serious or not...
True....Im on this side of my Computer ......Im typing ...Having fun.....but realizing some people(and rightly so) may not recognize sarcasm...(my sarcasm) when its read!!!
All kidding aside its really not about the money. Honestly I didnt know they had a shorter life span. I expected them to "Totally" outperform standard bulbs. Now I know those cheapo- spray painted blue fake "HID" Xenon Bulbs that are sold on Ebay for $8 dont last worth a ****...but I didnt expect it on the Silver Stars!! I was caught off guard...read the back after I installed them like the poor consumer that they wish for!!! Oh well
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Thinner, hotter wires burn in two faster and are more fragile. No surprises here.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Thinner, hotter wires burn in two faster and are more fragile. No surprises here.
I never researched the Bulbs....just figured they are using a hotter gas which causes the wires to burn brighter...Oh well....back to the old Chemistry set!!! btw...like the 370z.... my brother in law has a blue 350z.....takes nice care of it Have a good one!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:29 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

I never researched the Bulbs....just figured they are using a hotter gas which causes the wires to burn brighter...Oh well....back to the old Chemistry set!!! btw...like the 370z.... my brother in law has a blue 350z.....takes nice care of it Have a good one!!!!
Thanks. Regardless of price, I view it as a lateral trade considering the power vs. Interior trade offs.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I just purchased the Silverstar bulbs for my tinted taillights on my and I'm very happy with the end result.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I have used Silverstars in many cars & they are great fr what they are. However, I've never spent $50 on a set.

Get notified of new replies

To $50 Wasted???