Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Leasing a new DD - Test drove these today!: 2012 Buick Regal GS vs 2012 Kia Optima SX

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Leasing a new DD - Test drove these today!: 2012 Buick Regal GS vs 2012 Kia Optima SX

Howdy all,

I am looking to lease a new daily driver and was out in both of these great mid sized cars today. I read a bunch of reviews online but nothing that compared the two.

MSRP of the tested automatic Regal GS (20" wheel option, and audio/nav package + sunroof) = $38,315

MSRP of the tested automatic Optima SX (Premium and Technology Package) = $32,111

Buick Regal GS = FWD, 270 hp / 295 tq / Curb Weight - 3,734 lbs

Kia Optima SX = FWD, 274 hp / 269 tq / Curb weight - 3,384 lbs

For starters, both cars feature 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinders. Both cars are roughly the same 0-60 (6.2 seconds) and click off the 1/4 mile in 14.7 at right around 98 mph. (these are rough numbers for both)

Exterior Impressions: Wow a Buick with 20" standard polished wheels (only a mere $700 option) comes with summer tires... what do I do in the winter? The Regal GS has some great styling cues, very aggressive bumpers and no real wheel gap. Again, exterior impressions are highly debatable on taste. The Kia Optima to me looks like a mix of a Lexus with a BMW - not as aggressive as the Buick (I think most can say this from looking at them).

Interior Impressions: This is where the Optima shined. Besides the steering wheel in the Regal GS, all other points go to the Optima. Speaking of the steering wheel - I want that thing in my C6!!! Its gorgeous, thick, perforated... totally sport oriented! (see pics at bottom). But that is where it stops for me. The cockpit to me is not driver focused enough. Let's also not forget about features. The Optima comes with A/C seats standard, rear-view camera, better sound system (tested both out), and a much nicer LCD screen. The Buick reeked of Acura copycat matte black finishing, while the Optima had a Carbon Fiber reminisce to it (it isn't carbon fiber but somewhat looks like it). Again the driver tuned focus of the Optima with everything else is a clear winner in this category.

The best part right?

Driving Impressions: Holy hell - props to Buick/GM for giving the Regal GS nice sized Brembos! These puppies can STOP! In fact (Motor Trend did a comparison and the Regal GS stops ONLY 1 foot less than a Grand Sport C6! (The Regal GS stops at 115 feet 60-0). Also, reading online I read how the sport tuned suspension, and agility control, along with other features of the Regal GS, allow it for a FWD vehicle to not feel as much torque oversteer. GM got this right.. I was very impressed with almost 300 lbs of torque in a FWD car - When I gunned it, the low amount of oversteer. On another note - you can feel the Buick is heavier than the Kia. The Kia felt a little quicker and more nimble and in its own right it did get marginal better performance on track tests from the big auto mags. The Optima did have a little more oversteer but not bad and it had good traction with the 18" hankook tires. The Regal GS has 3 modes - standard, Sport, and GS - when GS mode is locked in, the handling is very precise and the car hardens up. I would give the handling around the infamous ring odds to the Regal GS.

Overall Impressions:
Buick has made a great car, and they are trying to attract a younger market and they will. I am 26 years old FYI. Now although Buick has made a great car, the Optima is an amazing car. To me, the car is a better all around car and the pricing is much better too (see below).

The Optima SX = 15k miles a year, 36/ mo lease with $584 total out of pocket (1st month and dmv fees) $323 / month (this included $1,000 competitor rebate).

The Buick Regal = 15k miles a year, 36/ mo lease with $1,500 total out of pocket (full inception fees) = $426 / month (this includes $1000 competitor rebate + [get this] $3,000 lease rebate). Unfortunately for Buick, the Moneyfactor is great, so why the crappy lease number on an agreed selling price of $33,500 (with a 38,315 MSRP)... the freakin residual value! The residual value at lease end is ONLY 46%!!!! Horrible. The GM came out shook my hand and looked at my JSB 2008 C6 for a little and told me unfortunately the residual kills a good lease on the car.

If anyone is looking for a $30-40k sport/fun/practical car that can give a thrilling ride to work, and has some great amenities to boot, you can't go wrong with either selection.

Pictures:

The amazing steering wheel:

Optima SX:

Last edited by Z0Sick6; 04-15-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I like the interior layout of the Optima better. But, if it were me, I would go with the Buick. It is something different, and a true testament of how far General Motors has come in the last few years.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nephew (a year older than you) has had the Optima (minus that sweet Turbo) for a few months and can't stop grinning...I was happily surprised by how nice the interior is and the exterior is nice too...good luck on your choice as I looked at a Regal GS today (Sunday walkabout at the dealer) and it was nice but a good bit more...if I could swing it and in the market...I might go the Buick if it rings all the right bells for you...

Bill
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 PM
SVT F15O
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you pick a car yet>???
I actually just leased a new Regal GS for 24 months on the "Experience a Buick" program.
I went with one that had the standard 19" wheels as they have all season tires. It is fully loaded otherwise.

So far I love the car and I am happy with the choice. I kind of cheated myself and didn't look at any comparable vehicles before pulling the trigger.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I dunno, that Kia reminds me of the Datsun 610......

I think the Buick looks much better.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Did you pick a car yet>???
I actually just leased a new Regal GS for 24 months on the "Experience a Buick" program.
I went with one that had the standard 19" wheels as they have all season tires. It is fully loaded otherwise.

So far I love the car and I am happy with the choice. I kind of cheated myself and didn't look at any comparable vehicles before pulling the trigger.

Mind sharing the lease deals. I did not pick yet.

PM me if you prefer..

miles per year.. tax included in monthly payment (and what is tax rate), how much total out of pocket, etc.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
I dunno, that Kia reminds me of the Datsun 610......

I think the Buick looks much better.
thats nice....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 AM
SVT F15O
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Mind sharing the lease deals. I did not pick yet.

PM me if you prefer..

miles per year.. tax included in monthly payment (and what is tax rate), how much total out of pocket, etc.
I did the 24 month "Experience a Buick" lease. Everything is included, all I have to do is put gas into it. XM and OnStar are even included for the duration.
Mileage is 12k/year which is the only option on the 24 month lease.
I put down a total of $6000 out of pocket(I know, a lot for a lease but I wanted a low payment) and am paying $271.97/mo with everything included. This includes sales tax(6.35%) and I have SmartLease Protect(cover excess wear, missing equipment, etc) as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 AM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Exterior looks Buick wins hands down. The wheels on the Optima are just plain ugly.

You are dead on about the steering wheel, very nice. In fact based off the pics I like Buick interior more as well.

The Optima is the clear price winner though.

Get notified of new replies

To Leasing a new DD - Test drove these today!: 2012 Buick Regal GS vs 2012 Kia Optima SX

Quick Reply: Leasing a new DD - Test drove these today!: 2012 Buick Regal GS vs 2012 Kia Optima SX