Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Inside Line Tests ZL1 vs 2013 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure everybody would love to see these cars in stock form but how many of us are actually going to leave these cars bone stock anyway!!
Throw out the magazine bullcrap this is real world same day, same track GT500 versus ZL1 between two drivers with a lot of track time.
Modified or not it's going to be a good shootout and I'm looking forward to some seat time.
Once it's modified and you have different drivers, you can throw this out the window.
How many actually leave these cars bone stock? Based on the numerous bone stock 2010 GT500s on ebay or cars.com, I'd say probably quite a lot.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
vigalante
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
Once it's modified and you have different drivers, you can throw this out the window.
How many actually leave these cars bone stock? Based on the numerous bone stock 2010 GT500s on ebay or cars.com, I'd say probably quite a lot.
And since we are talking about which one is a better race car, all those UNMODIFIED stockers take to the track every other weekend!

Give me a ****ing break, we'll know tonight RERAL WORLD racing!....Don't take your knife to a gunfight and expect not to be punctured!

Seems the ZL1 is MUCH more modified than the Shelby, and has a more experienced driver too!

Last edited by vigalante; 06-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
vigalante
Team Owner

first words in from Homestead.....

"The ZL1 kept over heating and had some issues!"...

UPDATED!

We are done. The ZL1 was having heat soak issues and I didn't feel heat soak with the GT500 during the sessions. I have Zero brake fade. The ZL1 has Zero brake fade.

They were impressed with the GT500 and feel like they have some improvements to make in the cooling system on the ZL1.

I'll add more later. I did ride one session with Erik and I was impressed with the Mag ride on turn in particular to turns 6 & 7.

Van

Last edited by vigalante; 06-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vigalante
And since we are talking about which one is a better race car, all those UNMODIFIED stockers take to the track every other weekend!
All of them? Show me any evidence that even 1/10th of them do, and do so unmodified.

Hmm...car modified for more power than it was designed from the factory has cooling issues on track. That's mind-blowing "news."
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM
vigalante
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Guibo
All of them? Show me any evidence that even 1/10th of them do, and do so unmodified.

Hmm...car modified for more power than it was designed from the factory has cooling issues on track. That's mind-blowing "news."
Car with a aftermarket, best you can buy, heat exchanger!!!!!!!

And I see sarcasm, actually goes over the heads of the uninformed and handicapped wannabe's that don't understand the Shelby beat the ZLslo in almost every PERFORMANCE test! But, good try Guido!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 PM
vigalante
Team Owner

To show you the ******** that goes on with magazines and internet blogs.... We ALL know the ZL1 was stopped by HEAT SOAK from even a 2 FAN AFCO HEAT EXCHANGER not being able to handle a FATAL FAULT with the ZL1.......Here's a story I just caught.....

From TOP SPEED..... 2013 Mustang GT500 vs 2013 Camaro ZL1 - Florida Heat Beats the ZL1

We have seen the competition between the 2013 Mustang GT500 and the Camaro ZL1 get exhausted in the last few weeks, so seeing yet another comparison doesn’t really interest us much. Then again, if that competition is happening live on a public track and it is between two competitors that have been jawing at each other via forum flame posts, well, we suddenly become extremely interested.

So the story begins with us taking a short trip from the TopSpeed offices down to the Miami Homestead racetrack for a day full of watching various cars tackle the track. We stumbled upon this situation of a stock 2013 GT500 with under 1,000 miles on its clock and 650 ponies under the hood, and a Camaro ZL1, which was modified by Torq and is touted as a true racecar, ready to go head-to-head to settle their online feud of which is better.

The Camaro ZL1 admittedly had supercharger overheating issues in the past, so Torq installed a high capacity water pump to help aid in the cooling. Apparently, Torq overestimated the capacity of the new pump before heading to Miami and the blazing hot South Florida sun resulted in the engine overheating. Yeah, Torq forgot an important fact, if you install a high-capacity water pump, you need to raise the amount of coolant stored in the cooling system — Oops. Even a 1993 Metro could have easily beaten the almighty ZL1 on this race day, given it could have made its way around the track without dying.(********, it had HEAT EXCHANGER PROBLEMS, NOT a ****ing water pump!)

Ironically, Torq is quoted as saying that pitting the GT500 against this modified ZL1 is “like bringing a knife to a gun fight” and we agree, because the GT500 is better known as a drag-style car and the ZL1 truly is a better road handler. Then again, if the gun misfires, the guy with the knife wins every time. Let’s see if Torq can rectify this issue and get us a good race to see.

Moral of this story: Always make sure your car runs cool before getting into a forum-flame-based race. There’s nothing more embarrassing than breaking down at the starting line.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar131756.html
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I must say that I have NEVER seen a bigger Mustang fan boy, EVER!

Calm, down, Vigilante; it's only a car. Maybe next year, the GT500 will improve, but for now, it simply not in the same handling league as the ZL1.

Quick Reply: Inside Line Tests ZL1 vs 2013 GT500