Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cruise control problem on a 1982 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Cruise control problem on a 1982 Z28

Visiting from the C5 forum side and looking to see if anyone can provide some insight into the cruise control hardware on my 1982 Z28. I think the 82 Corvette used the same basic cruise control configuration.

My 82Z has the CrossFire and is automatic. I'm trying to rouse up some help on the F body sites but not a lot of luck so far. The system uses the transducer which includes the resume vacuum solenoid set up.

Recently had the speedometer gear wear out and got around to replacing it this morning. The Cruise control stopped working about one year ago so started looking into that while replacing the speedo gear. The transducer is not seized so that didn't cause the speedo gear to strip out, it just wore down due to wear and it wasn't meshing properly causing the needle to periodically bounce around. Anyway back to the transducer. All vacuum lines appear to be good. The transducer spins freely and all electrical connections look fine.

During operation I can feel it engage, but then immediately drops out and the car loses speed. If I just touch the gas pedal slightly the cruise re engages and it jumps up to the preset speed, then immediately disengages again. I have the transducer with the two spade connector on top of the transducer and it also has the resume solenoid attached to the front of the transducer. I'm beginning to think that the resume solenoid my also have something to do with the hold speed function but I'm not sure. I have looked around for a part number for this solenoid but have been unsuccessful.

Would appreciate some input as to whether I'm headed down the right path with the solenoid or should I be looking at something else.

thanks

MAC
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The number one issue on those older cruise systems was the brake light switch, replace it even if your brake lights still work, it gets its kill signal from there.

Check the harness as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I know it is now dated, but if others are having the same speed control issue as I recently did, likely, this string could help to fix your speed control issue. Hope it worked out well on your Z28. We look forward to your joining our worthy, and proud C3 Corvette ranks someday

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ransducer.html

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise control problem on a 1982 Z28

Quick Reply: Cruise control problem on a 1982 Z28