Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2004-2007 Cadillac Cts-v

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
darkc6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2004-2007 Cadillac Cts-v

Hey guys, i havent posted on here in a while but looking for a little help or info on a cadillac cts-v ive been looking around for one and i would like to know your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with them, pros and cons really. ive had two ls6 z06's and a 07 c6 ls2 i honestly preferred the ls6 motor to the ls2 so ive been looking at 04-05 cts-v's but im open to the ls2. any help is appreciated

thanks, Jordan
Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the only problem is tge early cars used the same rearend as the V6 cars I believe. Maybe not the same one but they do break with any hard launches on sticky tires. I they addressed it in later cars, not sure though
Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a 2005 V and loved it. Only thing was the rear end was glass and would shatter with wheel hop. They have a lot more options for replacements these days then they used too.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 AM
darkc6
Pro

thanks guys, i have heard of the rear end issues but this will be a daily driver and not somehing i will really beat on, performance wise how does it stack up in your opinion to lets say a vette?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by darkc6
thanks guys, i have heard of the rear end issues but this will be a daily driver and not somehing i will really beat on, performance wise how does it stack up in your opinion to lets say a vette?
I had an '05.

The rear end issue is not limited to people who race the car at the strip every weekend. Simple WOT throttle HWY acceleration from 40-100 is enough to tweak the bearing races and cause an annoying whine at 45-50. The later one is beefier yes, but most 04-05 would have received the upgraded piece at some point under warranty. Pull a VIS.

The LS6 is a great motor. My first experience was with the 01 Z06. The Z is a visceral car, drop the hammer from a 30 mph roll and you are pinned in the seat. The V is not the same. It uses a heavy dual disk clutch in a 4000# car. It is quick, but not engaging like a Vette.

I haven't driven an LS2 equipped car but do wonder if the lower end torque of the LS2 makes more sense in the Caddy.

It seems nice ones are still holding low 20s. I'd be inclined toward a G8 or even high mile CTS-V V2 if you could swing it. If not, I'd have no qualms finding a cheap 04 or 05 and upgrade to the latest and greates the A/M is offering to fix all the driveline gremlins.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi there darkc6,

You've probably already found some vehicles in your area; I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the Certified Pre-Owned option. Check out http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pr.../benefits.html for more details about the program and to search for a CPO CTS-V in your area.

Sarah (Assisting Evan), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by darkc6
Hey guys, i havent posted on here in a while but looking for a little help or info on a cadillac cts-v ive been looking around for one and i would like to know your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with them, pros and cons really. ive had two ls6 z06's and a 07 c6 ls2 i honestly preferred the ls6 motor to the ls2 so ive been looking at 04-05 cts-v's but im open to the ls2. any help is appreciated

thanks, Jordan
Jordan,

Check out the Cadillac V-Net: http://www.CadillacVnet.com and good luck!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
I had an '05.

The rear end issue is not limited to people who race the car at the strip every weekend. Simple WOT throttle HWY acceleration from 40-100 is enough to tweak the bearing races and cause an annoying whine at 45-50. The later one is beefier yes, but most 04-05 would have received the upgraded piece at some point under warranty. Pull a VIS.

The LS6 is a great motor. My first experience was with the 01 Z06. The Z is a visceral car, drop the hammer from a 30 mph roll and you are pinned in the seat. The V is not the same. It uses a heavy dual disk clutch in a 4000# car. It is quick, but not engaging like a Vette.

I haven't driven an LS2 equipped car but do wonder if the lower end torque of the LS2 makes more sense in the Caddy.

It seems nice ones are still holding low 20s. I'd be inclined toward a G8 or even high mile CTS-V V2 if you could swing it. If not, I'd have no qualms finding a cheap 04 or 05 and upgrade to the latest and greates the A/M is offering to fix all the driveline gremlins.
well said!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the research I've done, I think Closer_2001 said it best. Some seem to say the early diff issue is th exaggerated. I've read quite to the contrary. Besides that they seem to be great cars overall. Be aware if customizing is your thing, for some reason that will never, EVER make sense V's have 6 lug wheels vs the regular cts' 5 lug. I hear wheel selections for them is limited to around 2 or 3 unless you get completely custom wheels. With an aftermarket exhaust the juxtapose of a simple, clean cts making the kind of sounds it does is hilarious to me(in a good way).

That being said, I don't think there's much "luxury" to them. The leather is fairly quality and the leather/suede seats are nice, but there isn't much to them which actually makes them a nice drivers car. Because of that, I ruled them out given the price difference/physical similarities to an 05/06 GTO. The GTO has an equally nice interior, if not a hair better imo. The GTO sacrifices some class and cleaness for an equal amount of sporty feel. The seats feel amazing on both, the interior on the V is simplistic and the typical luxury car colors(black, gray, and tan I believe) while the GTO is equally simplistic yet has color matched gauges, seats, and stitching(red, black, yellow, blue, orange, or even purple accents) and both have considerable amount of front and rear room. They are very much separate but equal kinda cars. It really comes down to do you prefer ls6 vs ls2, do you want 4 doors vs 2, and do you think the available heated seats/navigation/sunroof are worth the roughly 5 grand more for an equal mileage V vs GTO(GTO had no factory options besides color and an auto trans). I've never driven a V only sat in one, but I've driven a GTO. The extra money isn't worth it to me but might be to you.

One more thing. With the V's, the diff issue is the obvious problem, with the GTO its sagging springs and sometimes shocks. So plan on addressing either in short time. Good luck either way!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Default V

I had a 05 ctsv. Comparing to a z06 just no comparison. The v is heavy heavy heavy totally different car. Its a sedan not a sports car. Its beautiful yes but its needs 500hp plus to feel fast, the new ctsv is a fine example. The ctsv are a great car just dont think you going to be driving a vette. I have a z06 and its a unreal car in every aspect but not a daily driver. So keep that in mind. Its a beautiful sedan luxury car. Rear ends are weak and tranny feels sloppy. You should drive a srt8 300 or charger to compare. And the there is always the gto , u can puck those up cheap but the look awful lets be honest. I would go srt8 or ctsv myself. And have a beast in the garage for your hp fix.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I sold my 04 Silver on Red GTO for the '05 V - big mistake.

The GTO was a working man's M3.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely. Another car I eye now and then, the 02-06 M3. Was on at a toy run last weekend, and parked directly behind a gto was an M3. Threw the rhetorical question out to my two buddies and both said M3... but if they had to own it and deal with parts/repairs both said GTO. I've never driven the m3, and the superior suspension and weight I'm sure is easily noticeable. But for the price difference you could add springs/struts/shocks and short shifter. Without even touching the engine you have a car with a more sporty interior imo, handles better, and stock for stock ls2 is faster. Seriously underrated car, and superior to a V for the price difference honestly. Their stock suspension is so meh though.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
darkc6
Pro

Sorry havent been on here in a few days, thanks for all the input guys/girls. ive found a few cars im going to go look at but all have higher miles than what i was looking for, im currently closing a deal on selling my motorcycle which is my current speed fix lol but as soon as she is gone itll be time to seriously shop. Gto's are a GREAT bargain but no offense to anyone i just dont like the look of them, and i have been eyeing a few z06's again but i just dont think itll fill my void considering my last Z dynoed over 700hp and i cant spring for that type of car again at the moment, im just looking for a nice, clean sports sedan with a little pep and style. I have the cadillac reef tattooed on my wrist so im kind of a fan of them lol ive just always thought cadillac as a brand was just cool and the fact the cts v has a 6 speed and a vette motor just makes it twice as cool to me. I just dont want a car that is a maintenence nightmare. Also as far as mods go i would def want it lowered a couple inches and a full exhaust and possibly a mild cam so from what im hearing go ahead a beef up the rear end drivetrain. Thanks again for all the input, this is why i love this forum everyone is extremely friendly and helpful

Jordan
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
ls1forlife
Instructor

I know I am a little far north, but my V is for sale. Please check it out.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I had an 05 V. Rear axles are made of glass and it doesn't care how easy/hard you drive it. I sold mine after 15k miles, mostly due to my bad left hip. In that time frame I went thru 1 rear axle (at 1k miles), new axle started banging so had to go in for repair again, both C pillar "sail" panels became sails, tires replaced at 14k (Caddy recommends rotations every 3k), radio had a 2002 NAV disc (supposedly the new one couldn't find its location outside of Michigan). Broken interior parts (ash tray that I never used just broke). I tried every rear dif fluid out there and none took care of the moan between 42-48 mph (amazing how often we drive at that speed). Half shafts are also a big problem. Watch out for kits that modded the frame to try to eliminate wheel hop.

Engine was the strong point, about 21-23 mpg cruising. The M6 tranny was notchy but ok. Ride was crappy on roads that had expansion joints thanks to the GY RF tires. Handling was good, braking was excellent. Stereo was ok. Resale is pitiful and parts have a Cadillac tax which is like a Corvette tax but more.

There is practically no way the car could do 0-60 in 4.6 secs as Cadillac advertised. Their "proof" showed them dumping the clutch at 4k which is not good. Eventually they said "under 5".

I've seen 04-06 ones around here for $15-18k which is about the right price. 06 and above supposedly has a better rear end which wouldn't be hard to do.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004-2007 Cadillac Cts-v

Quick Reply: 2004-2007 Cadillac Cts-v