Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tahoe/Yukon vs. Trailblazer/envoy

Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Tahoe/Yukon vs. Trailblazer/envoy

Looking to replace the Aging family Chevy Venture with something newer. The problem is finding something that has equal cargo capacity and respectable fuel mileage but with more power.

Right now the Venture gets 22mpg average (calculated by tank capacity on fill-ups) The cargo capacity is outstanding with 3 rows of seats and still room in the back for suitcases.

I'm really interested in the Active Fuel management system. My Finance's father got a 2012 suburban with the 5.3L AFM that got 19mpg average on a trip from Houston to Salt lake city and back hauling 7 people and luggage.

Is the current AFM or DoD system the same as it was on the 05+ models? Has anyone owned any of these models? Is there a distinctive difference in performance, maintenance between the tahoe/yukon and the trailblazer/envoy?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been going to alot of auto auction lately, the tahoe/yukon are holding their value better than the TB/Envoy. Also, the repair cost on the Tahoe/Yukon is alot cheaper than the TB/Envoy. You might want to figure that into your purchase, if you plan to drive it awhile.

Last edited by NuckinFutz93; 12-06-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Power or towing or just passing/merging?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by NuckinFutz93
I've been going to alot of auto auction lately, the tahoe/yukon are holding their value better than the TB/Envoy. Also, the repair cost on the Tahoe/Yukon is alot cheaper than the TB/Envoy. You might want to figure that into your purchase, if you plan to drive it awhile.
The van also has a repair/maintenance downside. with such a crowded engine compartment, it is very difficult to say change the spark plugs. Ideally I'd prefer a vehicle with North/South engine orientation and a little more room in the engine bay (say for a spare battery) but those are wants not needs.

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
Power or towing or just passing/merging?
We do not have anything that we tow for the moment. However The occasional U-haul moving trailer or car trailer wouldn't be out of the question. The power would be more for passing/merging and/or hill country.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

unexpectedly last year I picked up a 4door GMC Sierra 1500 w the 5.3 for cheap. It is my daily driver and our "do everything" kinda-vehicle. I have been very surprised at how peppy it is and how well it does on gas. I would say I am gettin upper teens around town and low to mid 20's on the highway. I have also towed a couple small trailers and one dual axle enclosed. It did ok...got the job done ...but I wouldn't want to tow much with it. It is very nice for goin to lowes, takin trips in, haul stuff and as my dd.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

theradioflyer,

Are you planning to purchase new or used? Based on the information you provided, I would have to recommend taking a look at the Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Chevrolet Traverse, or GMC Acadia. The 2013 Tahoe and Yukon can get up to 320 horsepower @ 5400 RPMs and have an EPA estimated fuel economy of 21 MPG highway. The 2013 Traverse and Acadia can get up to 288 horsepower @ 6300 RPMs and have an EPA estimated fuel economy of 23 MPG highway. They are also fairly comparable in terms of dimensions. I am going to also send you a private message with a link to compare the vehicles. Let me or Evan know if you have any other questions. You can also contact me via email at tricia_marie@gmexpert.com. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Evan).
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
jroc1989
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an '07 Avalanche LT3 (or a suburban with the cargo roof chopped off) that I bought in early '09. It has the active fuel management and gets 19mpg city and mid to upper twenties on the highway. I've put 60k+ miles on it and have no complaints over power, tow capacity, handling, etc. It even does great in snow despite being RWD.

I have no experience with a Trailblazer or Envoy, so no help there. I would go so far as to say that if you went with the Tahoe or Yukon that you won't be disappointed!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jroc1989
I've got an '07 Avalanche LT3 (or a suburban with the cargo roof chopped off) that I bought in early '09. It has the active fuel management and gets 19mpg city and mid to upper twenties on the highway. I've put 60k+ miles on it and have no complaints over power, tow capacity, handling, etc. It even does great in snow despite being RWD.

I have no experience with a Trailblazer or Envoy, so no help there. I would go so far as to say that if you went with the Tahoe or Yukon that you won't be disappointed!
How are you getting those MPG numbers, they are almost unrealistic. I had a Sierra with the same active fuel and less weight than you are carrying and got nowhere near that.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM
jroc1989
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
How are you getting those MPG numbers, they are almost unrealistic. I had a Sierra with the same active fuel and less weight than you are carrying and got nowhere near that.
I can't really say; that's how it's been since I bought it. I average nearly 500 miles between fillups and usually buy 26 gallons. As far as I know it is all stock (I haven't done any mods to it). My daily roundtrip to work is 66miles in mostly city driving. I've been really impressed with it, but I assumed it to be a product of the AFM. If this is not the norm, I apologize and guess I just got lucky!

Get notified of new replies

To Tahoe/Yukon vs. Trailblazer/envoy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tahoe/Yukon vs. Trailblazer/envoy