Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2014 LS7 Camaro!! Could be interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2014 LS7 Camaro!! Could be interesting...

Might be the Camaro to get.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevy-ca...-for-2014.html
Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but many people have already done it.
Frankly, it's nothing special nor is it hard to do.

LS7 makes 505hp...the current ZL1 makes 580hp so it's kinda pointless.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Camaros are too heavy...

Here are better swap.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:33 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timpo
Sorry but many people have already done it.
Frankly, it's nothing special nor is it hard to do.

LS7 makes 505hp...the current ZL1 makes 580hp so it's kinda pointless.

True. But custom vs factory warrantied is apples to oranges.

The 1LE is 3860lbs, 426hp, and roughly $38k.
The ZL1 is 4120lbs, 580hp, and roughly $55k.

An ls7 camaro would hypothetical weigh 4000lbs or less, have 505hp, and if they could price it at $48k, they'd match the boss 302ls. The 1LE is already far more competitive with the boss then it should be, despite the difference in power/weight, and is noticeably cheaper. If they really spent some time on it, I don't doubt the ls7 camaro could outperform the boss 302ls on comparable tires.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Camaro would loose 3-400 pounds it would be even more of a competitor.. it would have to go into a 1LE type vehicle to be worth the extra coin there going to charge IMHO.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
True. But custom vs factory warrantied is apples to oranges.

The 1LE is 3860lbs, 426hp, and roughly $38k.
The ZL1 is 4120lbs, 580hp, and roughly $55k.

An ls7 camaro would hypothetical weigh 4000lbs or less, have 505hp, and if they could price it at $48k, they'd match the boss 302ls. The 1LE is already far more competitive with the boss then it should be, despite the difference in power/weight, and is noticeably cheaper. If they really spent some time on it, I don't doubt the ls7 camaro could outperform the boss 302ls on comparable tires.
Even on comparable tires, boss would still be superior, now with the ZL1 suspension setup, we are talking an easy camaro win, but that probably won't happen.

They are making it an option just to get rid of LS7 supply, I just hope GM fixes the head problem on those remaining LS7's (this is something I think they will do for the LS7, under the radar off course )
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

True. 2014 Z28 300 lbs less and the ls7 engine. Interesting.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Even on comparable tires, boss would still be superior, now with the ZL1 suspension setup, we are talking an easy camaro win, but that probably won't happen.

They are making it an option just to get rid of LS7 supply, I just hope GM fixes the head problem on those remaining LS7's (this is something I think they will do for the LS7, under the radar off course )

Let's see:

* At all four corners, the lightweight, forged aluminum wheels are wrapped in massive 305/30ZR19 tires. This is the first production application of ultra-high performance Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires, and believed to be the widest front tire on any production car. *

Well I guess GM has deal with Pirelli now too huh?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Falundir
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomsws6
If the Camaro would loose 3-400 pounds it would be even more of a competitor.. it would have to go into a 1LE type vehicle to be worth the extra coin there going to charge IMHO.
Guess what, this model will be 300lbs lighter than the SS!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong ^^^

It will be 300lbs lighter than the ZL1.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lavender
Let's see:

* At all four corners, the lightweight, forged aluminum wheels are wrapped in massive 305/30ZR19 tires. This is the first production application of ultra-high performance Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires, and believed to be the widest front tire on any production car. *

Well I guess GM has deal with Pirelli now too huh?
Still ignoring the main point, is which the LS7 is only going to be used to get rid of stock, the LS motors are dead.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Still ignoring the main point, is which the LS7 is only going to be used to get rid of stock, the LS motors are dead.
But still raises a good point: The fact that GM has a deal with a tire manufacturer doesn't mean that that manufacturer can't supply tires to someone else.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Still dodging the question for over a week now?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Guibo
But still raises a good point: The fact that GM has a deal with a tire manufacturer doesn't mean that that manufacturer can't supply tires to someone else.
He's been unable to back up his BS claim for quite some time now.I believe we can put it to rest now.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It will still be slower than a 2013+GT500 in a straight line. It doesn't make sense to me that chevy would build a stripped down track car using the camaro as it's platform.

Last edited by Wulverine; 03-28-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the new camaro look with new nose and back tail lights where i didnt before. Also noticed carbon ceramic brakes. Somewhere said 50k and if that's with the brakes it's going to be a big success. Interior materials have said to improved also. Add the ls7, 300 lb less weight, great tires, better areo, faster then the zl1. .big win for gm IMHO.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you even read the specifications of the new Z28? They spent all that time removing weight, adding aerodynamics, carbon brakes, and special shocks just so they could use up LS7 stock? Sure.

GM is claiming 3sec a lap faster than the ZL1 and 1.05 g cornering. This car will make the 302LS look silly.

Last edited by racerns; 03-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 LS7 Camaro!! Could be interesting...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lavender
He's been unable to back up his BS claim for quite some time now.I believe we can put it to rest now.
what I said many posts ago was fact,(you must ha e selective reading ) join the VCA and find out for yourself, instead of being a spectator fanboy, regardless, who holds all the track records?, I do t care if the tires are made of wood, they still ate enough to win, and will in FACT be replaced by better tires, no matter how much you want to raise a point, that is not only wrong ,but doesn't even matter, which. At hold the record?

Why weren't the MPSC used on the pro-type viper?, they were used on previous record holding gens? Do you have any common sense?

You do know companies do infact do things like that, just look at the iPhones , how lond did it take for other. Carriers to get it?
Some people just can't admit when they are wrong , I. Bet your some 60 year old man who likes to bicker,about things you know nothing about, regardless, corvette loses to a new car that will have much tweaking, and sure as hell better tires, than the crap that were used on the prototype.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why weren't the MPSC used on the pro-type viper?, they were used on previous record holding gens? Do you have any common sense?
You do know companies do infact do things like that, just look at the iPhones , how lond did it take for other. Carriers to get it?
Maybe because people would spot the difference in tire sizes? The previous Gens weren't on 355s were they? Is there even a Cup tire made in the new Gen size?
Whatever "fact" Ralph may have said behind closed doors, they don't gel with reality: It would be equally absurd for GM to claim they couldn't get the Trofeo R for this Camaro, just as it is absurd that Viper could not get the Michelin simply because "GM has a deal" with Michelin. GM having a deal with Michelin never took away the Cup for the ACR, nor any OE fitments for BMW and Porsche. (So your iPhone example falls flat on its face. What you are talking about is a distribution contract. GM and Dodge are not generally distributors of tires, which are components. A more relevant analogy might be Apple's chipset contract keeping its rival Samsung out of the market, but here's where that works against you too: Samsung is a supplier of chipsets to Apple for the iPhone.)
Forget about what Ralph is claimed to have said behind closed doors. Ask yourself logically if it makes sense. When you realize that Trofeo Rs are already on the market, when you realize that it would be stupid for SRT to release the Viper on the market with Cup tires when Cup 2 tires are already hitting the market this summer, then it makes absolutely zero sense for SRT to try to push for outdated and obsolete tires.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to GM the Z28 laps 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 on whatever track they were using

Quick Reply: 2014 LS7 Camaro!! Could be interesting...