Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Is there a thread that talks of this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Is there a thread that talks of this car. Corvette Daytona Racer Grand Am

Corvette Daytona Prototypes

Was the development assisted by GM? Is this where they are heading? Who builds them? I will look on the internet as I watch this forum thread to see if I can answer my own questions, but asking here speeds up the process! This is the car I would like to see modified to class and developed to beat the Audi's at LeMans! This is my idea for a Corvette based street Supercar! Ps I am still on the subject!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

You might google Grand Am Road Racing.

It'll answer most all of your questions.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM
458it
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ugly
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 458it
ugly
my pound puppy looks better ......................
Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

These cars were developed by Pratt & Miller, under contract from GM, with the bodywork approved by Grand Am. It's part of Grand Am's move to make the Daytona Prototype (DP) class cars more closely resemble production vehicles. If I recall, the chassis were still the existing chassis used by the Grand Am teams (Riley, Dallara, etc.).

No way would these cars be close to competitive against the true LeMans prototypes (Audi, Toyota, etc.) as they stand.

It would be cool to see GM move into the LeMans P1 category, but the amount of funding required would be pretty substantial . . . close to F1 budgets.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks wise it reminds me of a Mossler
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Cool the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Originally Posted by acrace
These cars were developed by Pratt & Miller, under contract from GM, with the bodywork approved by Grand Am. It's part of Grand Am's move to make the Daytona Prototype (DP) class cars more closely resemble production vehicles. If I recall, the chassis were still the existing chassis used by the Grand Am teams (Riley, Dallara, etc.).

No way would these cars be close to competitive against the true LeMans prototypes (Audi, Toyota, etc.) as they stand.

It would be cool to see GM move into the LeMans P1 category, but the amount of funding required would be pretty substantial . . . close to F1 budgets.
I am still getting over being bumped from the C7 forum by the moderators. Why??????????????????? They are calling this a non GM car by moving my thread to the other brand category. Thus really appreciated that some found it here after being moved or it was my insult from my other thread that caused them to get me.

I will have to look at Daytona Audi lap times compared to these DP Prototypes. I know Audi does Sebring, but not sure about Daytona. I think some years back they did prior to the diesels. And yes Audi has a F1 level budget, the only reason why they win! Damn they have 15 engine and transmission changed during each race! But it sure has translated to sales here in at least California. I now see them everywhere. Thus I will need Audi repellant if the influx continues.

yes it looks like a Mosler to me also. But it is highly interesting that GM is involved to a higher degree than just letting the Corvette name usage. And Pratt Miller, thus top talent there. Also in my opinion, Riley can design a chassis as well as any of the Audi talent. Basically they probably copied one of his designs, if we were to look it up.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of threads about this in the Autocross and Roadracing section of this forum, where some of us know what's up with current racing, meaning this car. And to the poster who said this can't hang with a LeMans prototype, that is only due to the restrictions for the class. DPs are pretty much the best value in a true race car for the money (DPs are about 1/2 a million, a LeMans Prototype is a multi million dollar car, in fact they are so expensive that is why Audi is now out along with Peugeot, and between them they owned the class). Update, apparently Audi will be back in 2013 even though there were rumors of them not participating in LMP1.

Grand Am Prototype racing is the 2nd closest racing format on the planet.

This thread is a good start;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ilds-them.html

By they way, that is my Mosler in the avatar.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 12-26-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Thanks! I can caught up on my reading. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Plenty of threads about this in the Autocross and Roadracing section of this forum, where some of us know what's up with current racing, meaning this car. And to the poster who said this can't hang with a LeMans prototype, that is only due to the restrictions for the class. DPs are pretty much the best value in a true race car for the money (DPs are about 1/2 a million, a LeMans Prototype is a multi million dollar car, in fact they are so expensive that is why Audi is now out along with Peugeot, and between them they owned the class). Update, apparently Audi will be back in 2013 even though there were rumors of them not participating in LMP1.

Grand Am Prototype racing is the 2nd closest racing format on the planet.

This thread is a good start;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ilds-them.html

By they way, that is my Mosler in the avatar.
I like your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they fielded some on the tracks over in Europe some years back running in class and did quite well. Thus real racing pedigeee. I have seen a few Moslers out here in Socal and one running on track. I would much rather have one, than a number of the exotics from the popular makes.

The DP cars look pretty fast to me, thanks for confirming. I will jump to the forum you suggested. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a thread that talks of this car

Quick Reply: Is there a thread that talks of this car