Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C7 better come correct, or else ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
I hate it. I hate the buckteeth Aston Martin grill and squinty eye headlights(and I know I'm in the minority). The new fusion is disgusting.

Which really kills me. Cause as a younger guy, on a bit of a budget and now needing something with a backseat, the possible powertrain sucked me in. I'm looking at 03/04 Mach 1, 04-06 GTO, and on the more expensive end the 11/12 mustang v6 performance pack. All fairly fun cars. Now they are saying potentially 300hp turbo 4(and that's low output, I higher po version going to the Europe only focus RS) a bit less weight, and an irs. This may sound dumb to most, but up the boost a bit and add exhaust, and you have a mini vette/new 240sx if I've ever heard one.

I know Chevy was thinking about producing that Code130R, but I'd assume it would come with the corporate 274hp turbo 4 or even less power so it didn't step on the next camaro's toes. So at the lower levels, it would be a huge bang for the buck.

As for the v8, it's pretty simple. Very few cross shop. Yes I know everyone's opinion on here that "NO ONE CROSS SHOPS VETTES R DA BEST!" but some do. For them, the price difference or driving experience will seal the deal. After all, not everyone liked the more sporty seating position of the firebird/camaro so they bought a mustang. If could very well end up competing with the corvette for less money. The real question is if another Ford GT will come along with these design cues...
In 2005 the base price of a GT was $150,000.00 A VERY fine car but not in the same price category as Corvette.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, and as I said the mustang might rise to the challenge this time with the drastic changes supposedly planned.

However, there very well could be a $150k vette, viper, and GT during the same coming years. The mustang has evolved enough that the engine could almost be lifted directly from it, cutting huge amounts of R&D in that respect. I'd just hope it wouldn't use Ford's current design cues.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. McGirk Nice to hear from you again. I like the Mustang much better than the C7. Ford is doing lot's of things right these days. You mention a 300 hp turbo 4 and a V6 performance package. You mention a 274 hp turbo 4 from GM. I took lot's of girly girl comments about my 2012 BMW z4 with the turbo 4 cyl engine. It seems that there are lot's of turbo 4's showing up everywhere but at Chevrolet. Not saying that a turbo 4 is right for Corvette but a midengine V6 turbo might be.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

With the mustang, yes. The rest of their line up includes both successes and failures in my eyes, but the public is clearly eating it up.

The current v6 track pack mustang comes in at $24,2xx I believe. The numbers it puts down are amazing for it's price range, it really doesn't get the recognition it deserves considering the constant "hot-former-hatch-now-just-fwd comparisons" most of which cost more then the mustang. The new "big deal" car from Ford the focus st doesn't even put down the same numbers. Close, in some categories, but not identical.

I feel I'm being very realistic in estimating a 290hp, 3350lb turbo 4 mustang starting at $19,000. That's assuming it'll be slotted below where the current v6 is, that some "nano" v6 will be released along side it as rumoured, and that the next focus rs will indeed come with a turbo 2.3 making between 320-340 as rumoured. IF Ford would offer a track pack for the turbo 4, then you'd be looking at possibly $25,500 for a premium track pack. Add full exhaust and tune, and now you have a 350hp, 3350lb brand new car with an independent suspension, very good weight distribution, and still gets pretty good mpg. Being more optimistic, if it came with a copy of the RS engine, you'd be looking at around 370hp and probably forged internals as well. That's ASTOUNDING bang for the buck, as hypothetical as it all is.

And that is why people ripped on you for your $55k, 240hp Z4. I dunno how much nicer BMW's stock of leather is compared to Ford, but I guarantee it's not enough to explain the fact that your Z4 is twice the price of that mustang, meanwhile the drivetrains are largely identical. Also, if it inherits anything close to an RS engine, it will be performance tuned, meanwhile BMW's turbo 4 is geared for economy's. I've looked at it's dyno sheets. It has what, a 7200rpm redline? Yet shifting beyond 6500-6800 will generally result in slower times. It was designed to feel deceivingly peppy from a stop light, not to rip through the gears.

Although the bulk of the girly comments refer to the fact it's basically a high output miata, and the car has grown increasingly feminine looking through the years sadly.

GM has a turbo 4 it could put in anything it chooses, and has been recently in a lot of cars. The problem with them is, no matter how light and cool a car they dream up, it can't surpass the next gen camaro and so are held back some, where Ford is not. Heck the reality is the cobalt ss that died the year before the camaro came out was a better performer and cheaper then the v6 camaro...

As for the tiresome corvette song and dance again, keep ignoring the fact that the zr1 is probably one of the top three overall sports cars in the world. The z06 has no competition at the 80k price range, and at 50k, the base coupe only has to worry about the gt500 and zl1. That's with its "dinosaur tech" pushrod engine sitting in front of the driver...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The whole retro scene has been played to death, it's time for manufacturers to look to the future, perhaps have a couple of cues that hearken to the past but stop designing cars to look like a bygone era, what's done in done. I like how the new Mustang will look like and I'm glad Ford decided to totally redesign it for it's 50th anniversary instead of *ahem* GM, just painting it a special color and embroidery on the seats.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

oh looks it a photoshop
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

McGirk The 28i Z4 has 260 HP not 240. The car is way more than just horsepower or leather seats. It's a great retractable hardtop, a far better NAV and audio system. It's BMW overall quality and service. I wrote to say that I like the proposed Mustang and it appears to be a much bigger bang for the buck. Like someone esle posted, Ford is redesigning the whole car fot the 50th anniversary model not just offering a paint stripe and stiching on the headrest like GM. How lame is that?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
McGirk The 28i Z4 has 260 HP not 240. The car is way more than just horsepower or leather seats. It's a great retractable hardtop, a far better NAV and audio system. It's BMW overall quality and service. I wrote to say that I like the proposed Mustang and it appears to be a much bigger bang for the buck. Like someone esle posted, Ford is redesigning the whole car fot the 50th anniversary model not just offering a paint stripe and stiching on the headrest like GM. How lame is that?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
Oh yes. It is indeed "lame" that the release coincides with the mustang's anniversary, and that the corvette's does not. Because 8 years ago, Ford said "We will accept nothing less then an all new model, previewed the same day it was 50 years ago." Saying that was the plan all along is laughable. It's easy for Ford to hold off one more year, and reap the benefits of not changing the minor 13 redesign. Financially responsible you might say. It's irresponsible of GM to push the c7 development ahead one year simply so it coincides with the 60th anniversary, as if a 60th anniversary is the end all be all in car world.

Some await an interesting color combo, on a car they already like. If I were to buy a used(or new if I had my way) c6 it would be atomic orange. It would be that simple, unless an anniversary color combo really caught my eye. People don't wait around for anniversary years, as almost no one knows the color combo. BTW you should see what Ford did for their 45th anniversary mustang, it blew me away. That package consisted of a horseshoe emblem attached to "45th" instead of gt. Totally not lame...

You said you think the mustang will be a much better bang for the buck. Considering we don't know the price, hp, and overall specs of EITHER car, that's quite an ignorant statement. Comparing the current gen mustang to the Z4 line up, now that is an easy answer as to which is the better buy...

If you feel the price difference between a hardtop vert Miata and your z4 is worth $25-30k then congratulations on your purchase. Just don't think anyone else believes it. The things you listed sure don't cover that price spread...
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Masybe Corvette could have gold stripe Vogue tires and a glued on vinyl roof in addition to the stiching and paint stripe on the hood. Remember those days at Cadillac dealers? You don't see that crap at premium brand dealers like BMW Mercedes Benz and Lexus. It's call additional dealer profit. The Mustang is very popular and the new model will be a big hit in my opinion. And for those who make fun of the Miata, think twice as it is the best selling sports car of all time. I would consider one as I am a past owner of a MG TF and an early MGB. Both MG's were a lot of fun and the Miata reminds me of those early British sports cars long gone. My bet is that Miata will be here when Corvette is long gone.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

mustang came out in 64 at the worlds fair in nyc?,as a 64.5 didnt it?,and i thought it was almost 65 before they were at dealers
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

I purchased a 1964 1/2 Mustang new in early June of 1965. Dealer in my small town had two Mustangs. I got the 260 V8 with a 3 speed. Rally Pac. The other car was a 6 cyl. I had the only one for miles around and everybody wanted to look at it. The Ford dealer asked my a couple of times to bring it back to the dealership so a prospective buyer could look at it. Keeping the C6.4 Corvette under wraps isn't new. The new Mustang in 1965 was kept under wraps. In fact the windows at the Ford dealer were covered with butcher paper until the morning or evening of the big showing. Cars used to be transported covered with a tarp or something and hidden away from the dealership until ready to ne unveiled. New models were always a big deal and they changed almost every year unlike the upcoming C6.4 which is just a half baked C6. At least Ford is coming up with a new car not a paint stripe.

Quick Reply: C7 better come correct, or else ....