Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Why doesn't Corvette age as well as say a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
Oh, I'm not poo-pooing corvettes, far from it. I owned two C5 in my late 20s/early 30 and though that they were the bee's knees. But as I grown more mature I grew apart from the corvettes and really appreciate the though and effort that porsche invested to keep the 911 timeless.
Fair enough, but I wish they would put as much passion into the design as they do into the performance and engineering. Most Porsche designs have always been lackluster, and they often fail when they try something new. For example, the 996 has become the red headed step child of most Porsche diehards, and the grotesque Panamera should have looked like the stunning Audi A7. The 928 and 944 didn't make it (just look at them) and the slightly updated new Boxster still doesn't have the magic of the original show car from 15 years ago.
It's not as if they can't do it...just look at the stunning Carrera GT or new 918...but those cars are out of reach of most. Being cautious and conservative is not exciting. Efficient, yes....exciting, no.

I certainly can't say every new generation of Corvette has been a home run, but at least GM does have the courage (but sometimes not the best vision) to swing for the fences. That's one of the things that makes the Corvette brand exciting. Maybe I just haven't matured enough to appreciate Porsche....but I hope never do.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Fair enough, but I wish they would put as much passion into the design as they do into the performance and engineering. Most Porsche designs have always been lackluster, and they often fail when they try something new. For example, the 996 has become the red headed step child of most Porsche diehards, and the grotesque Panamera should have looked like the stunning Audi A7. The 928 and 944 didn't make it (just look at them) and the slightly updated new Boxster still doesn't have the magic of the original show car from 15 years ago.
It's not as if they can't do it...just look at the stunning Carrera GT or new 918...but those cars are out of reach of most. Being cautious and conservative is not exciting. Efficient, yes....exciting, no.

I certainly can't say every new generation of Corvette has been a home run, but at least GM does have the courage (but sometimes not the best vision) to swing for the fences. That's one of the things that makes the Corvette brand exciting. Maybe I just haven't matured enough to appreciate Porsche....but I hope never do.
I own a 996 model and it looks fine to me. Granted, I agree that the 996 was the most awkward looking 911 model in the last 20 years. However, I still find my car both challenging and very rewarding to drive. Lets put it this way, I managed to trip the stability control nearly daily on my C5Z. I owned two 996 cars and only remember tripping the stability control twice during the whole period of ownership.

At some point I though I will get a 997 version, but being perfectly content with my current car, I simply don't get the urge to do it.

Last edited by PeterK; 01-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I own a 996 model and it looks fine to me. Granted, I agree that the 996 was the most awkward looking 911 model in the last 20 years. However, I still find my car both challenging and very rewarding to drive. Lets put it this way, I managed to trip the stability control nearly daily on my C5Z. I owned two 996 cars and only remember tripping the stability control twice during the whole period of ownership.

At some point I though I will get a 997 version, but being perfectly content with my current car, I simply don't get the urge to do it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hate them. Don't really follow them either. Not a bad car, but for the value, Corvette is superior.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Most Porsche designs have always been lackluster
"Lackluster design" falls in the "personal opinion" category.

The category that really counts is the "profits" category, and it's there that Porsche demonstrates that they have automobile design and manufacturing figured out.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

It's been a while since I've been on here and once back I still see everyone crying about who's car is better looking. Glad to see someone's also complaining about the new GTR.

Having spent some time on the Porsche forums since buying a 911 last year, I have to say those guys don't complain half as much about who's car is better looking. Having owned both cars, I like both.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I owned two 996 cars and only remember tripping the stability control twice during the whole period of ownership.
The 991 has an even better chassis.