Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Gentleman pulls up in a 911, interrupts me and my Chevy salesman, asks, "do you have a brochure on that new Corvette".

Salesman tells me "second Porsche this week"

Are 911 owners finally getting bored with their VWs?
Were you in your C7 when the P driver pulled up?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Porsche is a higher quality car, with considerably more refinement, it is a fact. With this respect, Corvette will never come close to Porsche, pretty obvious from the fit and finish and materials used as seen in the available photos.
Corvettes are pretty refined as well & the C7 should be a big step up in many ways. Course the price of porsches are way way way more expensive than the lowly vettes ( I went from my 2003 996TT which I bought new and drove for 5 yrs & replaced with a new 08Z. Except for the "fine corinthian leather" in the porsche, the Z06 was a better more involving one with the car machine than my porsche. Loved it. Went from that to a 2010 GS 6spd manual coupe with LPE Maggie 650 supercharger package. Oh & the porsche turbo cost twice as much).
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Corvettes are pretty refined as well & the C7 should be a big step up in many ways. Course the price of porsches are way way way more expensive than the lowly vettes ( I went from my 2003 996TT which I bought new and drove for 5 yrs & replaced with a new 08Z. Except for the "fine corinthian leather" in the porsche, the Z06 was a better more involving one with the car machine than my porsche. Loved it. Went from that to a 2010 GS 6spd manual coupe with LPE Maggie 650 supercharger package. Oh & the porsche turbo cost twice as much).
Corvettes are a lot of bang for the buck but they lack fit and finish cars like Porsche have, the materials and paint are very poor. The quality control is a joke at GM, I am saying this based on the vettes I have had, number four right now, and this is regardless of the trim level and model of corvette you buy.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueNinja
I believe I fit the demographics GM is aiming for

And it's a pleasure to read your post here.

Originally Posted by RogueNinja
I'm blown away at the amount of hate for the C7 as well as and other brands here.
Exactly. A true enthusiast is aware of other machines and he/she appreciates why they're great. Differences = fun.

On the other hand, a few on this forum are bitter. As you've discovered. As anywhere.

The majority are here to share and have fun. And, as you've probably seen on the C1-C6 threads, there are many gifted mechanics, modders, "historians", drivers and clever BS-ers here, too.

It was inspiring to read how you've done a lot of listening... before speaking up. A good example, I'd say.

Oh... and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been in a number of 911's and I have no idea why someone would trade one for a vette. Unless we're talking about a '69 big block to cruise around on the weekends.

A Porsche owner will have a problem with the low end torque and the clunky gear box. Not to mention the 20th century suspension. A 911 can run over an ant hill and not dislodge vertebrae. The C7 will out perform a segment of the 911 population. But, the vette's ride quality will take its toll.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM
458it
Instructor

I know, it was a 1979 porsche 911, right? lol
Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Gentleman pulls up in a 911, interrupts me and my Chevy salesman, asks, "do you have a brochure on that new Corvette".

I'm not gonna trade any of my VWs but Im gonna add both Z51 and a Z06/ZR1 to my stable later when they are available.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

I owned a 1962 Porsche Super 90, (356) around the same time I owned a C3. I should have kept that Porsche.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Were you in your C7 when the P driver pulled up?
Infiniti FX35 if you must know, my Z06 is in hybernation until spring.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Corvettes are a lot of bang for the buck but they lack fit and finish cars like Porsche have, the materials and paint are very poor. The quality control is a joke at GM, I am saying this based on the vettes I have had, number four right now, and this is regardless of the trim level and model of corvette you buy.
You haven't even sat in a C7 and you make these ignorant comment? And have you even been inside a previous generation 911? That car was nothing special.....the 911's interior quality really improved just recently (so has the C7's) with the new generation. So all these myths about refinement and god like refinement were far fetched. Although the quality has improved now vs. a couple of years ago, it still is kind of boring and not to my liking.

There seems to be a handful of people that hate the Corvette and just like spilling their poison. I say if Porsche's magical perceptional marketing has you thinking that the car is so special then go buy one. Why waste your time here?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I owned a 1962 Porsche Super 90, (356) around the same time I owned a C3. I should have kept that Porsche.
Being a 'car nut' can't help but respect the 911. BUT AT 100 GRAND + , I find the 911 a tad over engineered just to compensate for its achilles heel........engine hanging over rear wheels.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Being a 'car nut' can't help but respect the 911. BUT AT 100 GRAND + , I find the 911 a tad over engineered just to compensate for its achilles heel........engine hanging over rear wheels.

If I were shopping, I'd consider the Cayman.

Last edited by jkcam6017; 02-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack
I've been in a number of 911's and I have no idea why someone would trade one for a vette. Unless we're talking about a '69 big block to cruise around on the weekends.

A Porsche owner will have a problem with the low end torque and the clunky gear box. Not to mention the 20th century suspension. A 911 can run over an ant hill and not dislodge vertebrae. The C7 will out perform a segment of the 911 population. But, the vette's ride quality will take its toll.
Your assessment would be very true about the ride quality if you were referring to the 1984 C4.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

And after they see the smoke GM blows regarding actual specs on C7, they will get a chuckle and keep driving their 911.
Another ridiculous comment from the master.

A lotta folks in the C7 section are now debating conjectures about what GM's limited disclosures re the C7 are really telling us. But, when the car actually hits the showrooms, all the preliminary press releases will be ancient history and long forgotten. People will make their choices based on the actual vehicle, it's performance, price and perceived quality. The marketing "smoke" that you perceive will be far less damaging to Vette sales than the old self-destructing 2.7's were to 911 sales.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Many great Sports Cars out there now

I have been blessed to own some very cool sports cars in my life. I like all of them. Every car has been a bit different from the others. One car does not replace all the others. I have owned 15 Porsches, and five Corvettes, and a few M3s. I currently have an Audi S4 2013, a Porsche 991 911 S 2013 and I just purchased a 427 and I have a 2006 Z06. These cars are all different and I love all of them for what they do. I don't knock any of them. I will say that the new 991 911S is the very best driving and handling Porsche ever. I have had a few 911 Turbos & GT3s too.
I do plan to buy a C7 in the fourth year of production, that is when I will sell my Z. I am keeping the 427 for life. Anyone who knocks the PDK 991 911S has not driven it, period, it is an awesome performing sports car!!! Go drive one, it is better than the 997 Turbo in most every area. Likewise, the C7 will be the best driving Corvette ever, with all the new changes made, it has to be a huge improvement. I am very excited about the C7. By the 3rd year it will be incredible. Hey, we are living in the best time to drive ever, these cars are all awesome. Enjoy what you can, and don't knock them just because you don't like one or two. For the record, if I could only own one car, it would be the best all around car for me, the Audi S4. It does everything well in all types of conditions and has room for most needs. Let's face it, Corvettes and Porsches are a luxury and privilege to drive & own.

Cheers.
Fuze
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by GordyRay
I have been blessed to own some very cool sports cars in my life. I like all of them. Every car has been a bit different from the others. One car does not replace all the others. I have owned 15 Porsches, and five Corvettes, and a few M3s. I currently have an Audi S4 2013, a Porsche 991 911 S 2013 and I just purchased a 427 and I have a 2006 Z06. These cars are all different and I love all of them for what they do. I don't knock any of them. I will say that the new 991 911S is the very best driving and handling Porsche ever. I have had a few 911 Turbos & GT3s too.
I do plan to buy a C7 in the fourth year of production, that is when I will sell my Z. I am keeping the 427 for life. Anyone who knocks the PDK 991 911S has not driven it, period, it is an awesome performing sports car!!! Go drive one, it is better than the 997 Turbo in most every area. Likewise, the C7 will be the best driving Corvette ever, with all the new changes made, it has to be a huge improvement. I am very excited about the C7. By the 3rd year it will be incredible. Hey, we are living in the best time to drive ever, these cars are all awesome. Enjoy what you can, and don't knock them just because you don't like one or two. For the record, if I could only own one car, it would be the best all around car for me, the Audi S4. It does everything well in all types of conditions and has room for most needs. Let's face it, Corvettes and Porsches are a luxury and privilege to drive & own.

Cheers.
Fuze
with your generalities. Just the specifics are different for me. An Audi may just replace our aging Murano when the time comes.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default My 2004 $175k Turbo body!

Got informed (by me) that the C7 on E85 should be spanking him. I also added those other tidbits he can't relate to. But, he likes its looks, and that it is not a Porsche!

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
You haven't even sat in a C7 and you make these ignorant comment? And have you even been inside a previous generation 911? That car was nothing special.....the 911's interior quality really improved just recently (so has the C7's) with the new generation. So all these myths about refinement and god like refinement were far fetched. Although the quality has improved now vs. a couple of years ago, it still is kind of boring and not to my liking.

There seems to be a handful of people that hate the Corvette and just like spilling their poison. I say if Porsche's magical perceptional marketing has you thinking that the car is so special then go buy one. Why waste your time here?
I have seen enough pics to make sure nothing has changed in quality department of GM. And yes, I have been in a few 911s and other porsches over the years, Porsche made a quantum leap unlike GM and Corvette. LOL at anyone delusional enough to feel otherwise.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Another ridiculous comment from the master.

A lotta folks in the C7 section are now debating conjectures about what GM's limited disclosures re the C7 are really telling us. But, when the car actually hits the showrooms, all the preliminary press releases will be ancient history and long forgotten. People will make their choices based on the actual vehicle, it's performance, price and perceived quality. The marketing "smoke" that you perceive will be far less damaging to Vette sales than the old self-destructing 2.7's were to 911 sales.
Your logic is undeniable, considering the subject of this thread and still no meaningful info on C7.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Your assessment would be very true about the ride quality if you were referring to the 1984 C4.
The 84's were pretty harsh. All vettes have the same problem, including the C6. Going over railroad tracks is a perfect example. It's no problem in a 911, M3 or 370z. The vettes have to literally crawl over them because of the shaking, twisting and bottoming-out that occurs. The leaf spring technology shows very little forgiveness on uneven pavement.

The vette is an excellent track/weekend car. But to dd it in comparison to the for-mentioned above

I hope GM ditched some of the cheap, flexible interior plastics. As for the leaf springs...

Quick Reply: Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?