Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?

Gentleman pulls up in a 911, interrupts me and my Chevy salesman, asks, "do you have a brochure on that new Corvette".

Salesman tells me "second Porsche this week"

Are 911 owners finally getting bored with their VWs?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they like the looks and performance in the stingray better than the vw.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

I was digging the latest 911s till I saw the msrp at the dealerships. The option prices are truly out of control as is the price.

Great vehicle ......but the new ferrari f12 ,,,,,,I mean corvette stingray at half the transaction price of the 911s has peaked interest.....
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I think there are some that are bored with there 911. So there will be some that make the change. We had a club event yesterday and we were talking about cars in general and one member is a retired Air Force pilot and he as had 6 Porsche and he now drives a 2013 GS. and he likes it better then the Porsche.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is going to be interesting to see. I am from Scarsdale NY, and every guy here has a Porsche 911. You never see to many Vettes here. More Porsche or Euro Sports cars. I honestly think that true Porsche guys will stick with Porsche, just like true Corvette guys will stay with Corvette. Same for other brand loyalists, e.g. Ferrari. But I guess we will find out once the C7's hit the show rooms.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Do they still make a 911? j/k.

Seriously, 3 to 1 odds this thread turns into pages of Guibotch ramblings in defense of Porsche.

I don't think most 911 owners will cross shop the C7. I wouldn't be surprised if some do, and that C7 makes some conquest sales to P car folks.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
StuttgartRS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the problem being is that the 991 is no longer a true sports car. Even its seven speed gearbox is meant to be not that great,so most are PDK. Plus as other have said this car is just to expensive.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Yes they like the looks and performance in the stingray better than the vw.
boy are you guys high. a plastic chevy vs German engineering.
Yeah sure. Least you give the Porsche people some laughs
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Unsprung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
I am from Scarsdale NY, and every guy here has a Porsche 911.
lol. Up your way to White Plains and along the coast to Greenwich: it's more Porsche / BMW / MB than in parts of Germany!

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
true Porsche guys will stick with Porsche, just like true Corvette guys will stay with Corvette.
Absolutely. The core will not shift. But I do believe that some of the Porsche owners who buy along the periphery (i.e., they kinda like the general idea of a sports car and they thought they'd give Porsche a try) may switch to Corvette.

This won't be a big migration, mind you. But it will result in a noticeable difference that will put the Corvette into some more zip codes.

Big challenge to all this: the Chevrolet dealership experience. Oh, it doesn't have to be posh or snobby. It just has to not suck.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsprung
lol. Up your way to White Plains and along the coast to Greenwich: it's more Porsche / BMW / MB than in parts of Germany!

Absolutely. The core will not shift. But I do believe that some of the Porsche owners who buy along the periphery (i.e., they kinda like the general idea of a sports car and they thought they'd give Porsche a try) may switch to Corvette.

This won't be a big migration, mind you. But it will result in a noticeable difference that will put the Corvette into some more zip codes.

Big challenge to all this: the Chevrolet dealership experience. Oh, it doesn't have to be posh or snobby. It just has to not suck.
Haha couldn't agree w you more! This place is Porsche and BMW heaven. They are the norm here. And yes you may see a shift for those guys who just bought a sports car to have and may switch because they may want to give the C7 a try, but I doubt it.

I highly doubt Curry Chevy service on central ave is going to change once the C7 arrives hahaha
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by texvette2
boy are you guys high. a plastic chevy vs German engineering.
Yeah sure. Least you give the Porsche people some laughs
Have not seen any Porsche people laughing when my "plastic Chevy" blows by them on the track
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Unsprung

And then again, there will be folks like me who have decided to hold off on the C7 and go to Porsche for a while. I just bought a new Boxster and while it doesn't have the power a C7 will have, overall I find the car to be very well put together, elegant, sporty and just plain a ball to drive.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
And then again, there will be folks like me who have decided to hold off on the C7 and go to Porsche for a while. I just bought a new Boxster and while it doesn't have the power a C7 will have, overall I find the car to be very well put together, elegant, sporty and just plain a ball to drive.
Nicely said - it is encouraging to see the C7 leghumpers all upset at the prospect of competing with Porsche. Imitation is the purest form of flattery! Even if it is an attempt at an imitation of build quality!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
RogueNinja
7th Gear

So this is the perfect first post for me. I absolutely love the Stingray, and plan on getting one. My only problem is deciding if to wait for a higher performance model or get the Z51 asap. I will not get rid of my 911 for this or any other car. They are precision instruments that require mastery. You can trash talk and call them VW's or whatever you want; take a take a lap around Laguna in a Porsche and lets see what you have to say.

I have been around this forum for almost 2 years, when I was in the market for a Z06. I've been a bike and car guy my whole life. Over the last 13 years, I've done a lot of track time with my bikes, and now with my cars. I currently own a 911S, Audi S4 & BMW 545, as well as a couple of ZX10's. Like most, Corvettes have been burned into my psyche from childhood. Freshman year of college, my dad who was an advertising account executive got me a summer job at one of clients, doing dealer deliveries. Being 19 years old back in 1986, and driving Porsche's and Audi's around the east coast made me the envy of all my friends. Right there I knew that one day I would own a 911. I also grew up a big Mopar fan, and had many Chargers, Coronets, and Super Bee's from high school thru my mid 20's. My only GM product was a brand new 1993 Z28, and I never had a problem with that car in the 4 years I had it.

Couple of years ago I decided it was time for either a Viper or a Corvette, but once leaks of the new models started coming out I decided to wait and see. I thought I would be getting the new Viper until I saw the Stingray. As much as I love Vipers, I have concerns about them being good all around cars. My 911 can take me to Laguna Seca for a track day, and then on to Napa for the rest of the weekend; Corvettes also have the same all around versatility.

I believe I fit the demographics GM is aiming for, and I absolutely love this car from what i've seen. I'm sure seeing it person will convince me to purchase now rather than later. Performance has never been a problem for the Corvette, and once they nail quality this car will be a success. I can't wait to see what this car does on the track.

When I was researching Z06's this was the best forum, and I've been glued here for past year for every piece of info on the C7, but I'm blown away at the amount of hate for the C7 as well as and other brands here. A few years ago, people wanted GM and Chrysler to go away, and here we are now with a new Vette and Viper, as an enthusiast I could not be happier! There's a spot in my garage for the C7. Sorry for the long post...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I love the C7 & plan on getting one this Fall. Having said that,the profits gained from Porsche converts wouldn't pay the light bill for one week at a Chevy dealership.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
C7NV
Advanced

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Nicely said - it is encouraging to see the C7 leghumpers all upset at the prospect of competing with Porsche. Imitation is the purest form of flattery! Even if it is an attempt at an imitation of build quality!
There are more Porsches than vw's or corvettes in my area. I just recently cancelled my plans to purchase a new Porsche Boxster S and gave a deposit to the Chevy dealer for a C7.
My father had a '76 vette when I was 11 years old and it may have been the worst car we ever owned. The C7 has made me give it another chance.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Gentleman pulls up in a 911, interrupts me and my Chevy salesman, asks, "do you have a brochure on that new Corvette".

Salesman tells me "second Porsche this week"

Are 911 owners finally getting bored with their VWs?
And after they see the smoke GM blows regarding actual specs on C7, they will get a chuckle and keep driving their 911.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C7NV
There are more Porsches than vw's or corvettes in my area. I just recently cancelled my plans to purchase a new Porsche Boxster S and gave a deposit to the Chevy dealer for a C7.
My father had a '76 vette when I was 11 years old and it may have been the worst car we ever owned. The C7 has made me give it another chance.
Porsches everywhere in my area...unfortunately most are Panameras and Cayennes
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

A few will, but most porsche owners love the " status" ( in their mind ) of driving a porsche & wouldn't be caught dead in one of those " blue collar " corvettes. True car guys & gals are not that way. They enjoy & appreciate all kinds of cool cars & some own vettes & porsches & BMW's etc at the same time.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
A few will, but most porsche owners love the " status" ( in their mind ) of driving a porsche & wouldn't be caught dead in one of those " blue collar " corvettes. True car guys & gals are not that way. They enjoy & appreciate all kinds of cool cars & some own vettes & porsches & BMW's etc at the same time.
Porsche is a higher quality car, with considerably more refinement, it is a fact. With this respect, Corvette will never come close to Porsche, pretty obvious from the fit and finish and materials used as seen in the available photos.

Quick Reply: Porsche Owners Trading Up To a C7?