Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

need VIPER help gents..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
NotAnExpert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Making 2thousand cars per year does make the viper a limited production car vs the 40k plus vettes Chevy makes per year,they do hold their value as a 96 viper still holds the same price as a 2006/2007 Z06, ACR's"s still go for 90's, 20k more than the ZR1's, its just a more rare car, like it or not the viper will always win that battle ..
And you can't compare cars that are twice the price of the viper.
Corvettes are better cars for older folk that drink Starbucks, and get track times from magazines, vipers are for the people who actually track the cars, true car guys.
Are you implying that vipers hold their value irrespective of the market your trying to sell it in? So a viper that could sell for 90k in FL would also sell for 90k in Detroit, MI? If so you might try co-opting my forum name.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

MAN, can't beat the looks and performance of the 2008-10 Vipers, especially the ACRs, or the brand new model that just came out. I think the exterior styling BLOWS AWAYS the C6 Z, and I would probalby have made the transition by now except for the cramped cockpit of the Viper, which I don't like, but everything is a trade off. my C6 Z is a weekend toy and I have no problems that the Viper has no nanny controls for a weekend toy, except the new model, and I almost prefer no nanny controls as its much more like a street legal race car than the C6 Z, making it funner to drive for some of us.

Happy Hunting, would be a tough call if it were me to upgrade between the Viper and a ZR1, as the ZR rides like a Cadillac, but is a completer performance BEAST when you lay your foot into the throttle. Decisions, decisions, but good decisions, good luck with yours!.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 03-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Bruce H.
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
MAN, can't beat the looks and performance of the 2008-10 Vipers, especially the ACRs, or the brand new model that just came out. I think the exterior styling BLOWS AWAYS the C6 Z, and I would probalby have made the transition know except for the cramped cockpit of the Viper, which I don't like, but everything is a trade off. my C6 Z is a weekend toy and I have no problems that the Viper has no nanny controls for a weekend toy, except the new model, and I almost prefer no nanny controls as its much more like a street legal race car than the C6 Z.
I would think a Viper convertible with top down would feel more spacious, and be perfect for a weekend toy.

Just as an aside, I have noticed that verts get snubbed by a lot of coupe lovers. When I use to escape from the city and interstate traffic every weekend the targa (Supra TT) and T-tops (MR2T) always came off. When we recently moved out of the city we chose a vert (XKR) and couldn't be happier with top up or down. Not as practical maybe for mostly city use, or as a DD, but for strictly driving for pleasure it suits us perfectly. There's a sense of ocassion when you put the top down.

Some think verts are for old guys but I loved my first vert when I was 20 just as much as I do my second in my 50's. Within 24 hours of taking delivery of the XKR vert I had it on the track, top up, and it's just as enjoyable to track as the other two. I don't push quite as hard for safety reasons, and the factory pop-up roll hoops meet track requirements.

The Viper and Corvette verts are both very attractive...except maybe to the haters

Bruce
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Snake Bite52
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

my dad just sold his 08 venom red vert after owning it since new. i actually learned how to drive stick on that car and i drove it quite a bit so ill list a few short things about the gen 4 viper vs a c6 z06
dads viper- stock besides American racing headers and corsa exhaust. similar set ups put down high 5's/600 whp. no nav
my 07 z06- h/c/i. 2lz with nav

if your getting the viper just because you want something different or are bored, its a perfect car for that. they are similar cars on paper but so different in real life. the viper feels like a freight train, it just keeps pulling and pulling and doesnt let up. But its not exciting or fun like the ls7 is. the ls7 revs much quicker and has a more "peaky" power band while the viper doesnt seem to feel any different in the powerband. i will say the viper seemed to hook way better on street tires then my z does. handling i cant comment much, i havent been able to rip in the z yet but the vipers handle awesome. All this bs about the viper handling like **** and is scary to drive is like i said- bs. Maybe it was the color, but i get more attention in the z then driving the viper. The viper was a cool car but not my favorite to drive all the time. very boring inside, seats are great but it feels very tight inside (im 6'1, 220 pounds) where as the z is very roomy and i feel way more relaxed. driving position is better for ripping around or "spirited driving" in the viper but thats not to say you can get into a good position in the z. As far as sound goes, its debatable. My car sounds sick and at full throttle its down right sexual. The vipers have an odd sound and stock sound like absolute ****. I will say with the headers and full exhaust the car sounded insane and full throttle it was evil.

if i had to pick between the two, it would be the vette hands down. As cool as the viper is and as good looking of a car they are, its just not the best performer or daily. The aftermarket sucks for the viper as well, parts are very costly and its pretty much go big or go home with the viper.

if your looking for anything specific to be questioned about let me know

Last edited by Snake Bite52; 11-02-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Snake Bite52
Instructor

also as far as depreciation/value goes as such, i bought my car with 9.5k miles for 43k. my dads car sold to a dealership for 55.5k with the least desirable color and 9.5k miles and is listed for 59k. the viper holds value way better
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, but if you are saying the Viper gets less attention than the Z06 (and you are on Long Island) I think you're mistaken. Vettes are everywhere. You can drive around all day and never pass another Viper. Go down to Captree on the weekend and count the Vettes. JMO. I've owned several of each and no comparison in "star" quality.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Snake Bite52
Instructor

ive gone to captree in it, driven through huntington....taken it to port jeff... taken it to glen cove car meets and IN MY OPINION the z06 turned more heads when taking it out to places. I never once had somebody come up to me and say something about the viper in the 4 or so years driving it. In the 1k miles owning the z06 ive had 3 people come up to me asking about the car and such. Now again, the color could have a part to do with it. the z06 is loud, lowered, has a "suggestive" vanity plate and has a sick cam. the viper was pretty quiet at idle. I should also add im a 20 year old kid so i tend to get more negative comments then positive...
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Capt Van
I have had a bunch of Vette including 3 C6, vert. Z06 and ZR1 (still have it). I have also had 3 Vipers, 99, 2002 GTS and just sold my 09 ACR, so I would say I have some seat time.

I love the ZR, top of the heap for C6 but the ACR is a monster.
As for the heat and comfort comments IMHO I would say that those people have not spent a great deal of time in a snake. True the 99 was somewhat crude, warm and a very stiff ride. The GTS was a nice upgrade all round solved the heat issues and a lot more comfortable. The GTS is my all around favorite for a variety of reasons but you are asking about the 08 so I will address my comments to it.

The gen 4 is by far the best of the snakes, no heat and very comfortable (I'm 6'1" and 210#) don't get me wrong it takes a little getting used to getting in and out. I just had the ACR up to Charlotte Motor Speedway for a Viper owners event in Sept. I live is SW Florida and drove it up there over 3 days and enjoyed every minute of the trip. I really liked flogging her on the Dragon but that is a whole other story . After the event my wife and I drove it none stop except for gas and food 14 hours home and when we got out we both commented how good we felt. We're not kids, I'm 61. The only thing that I do miss in them is none of them have cruise control.

I like the one you posted about and I think you could haggle them down some.

Now the big question, OK Van, if you are nuts about a Viper why did you dump the ACR? Good question, I thought I would keep it a long time, that was until I was at the Viper event and they unveiled the new Gen 5 and I got to drive one, holly smoke what a car. I plucked down my deposit on a new one the first day they took orders, should have it by June.

So here is what I think, go drive it, not just for a 10 minute demo but let them know you will need an hour or so in it. Be warned it is extreme, no computer or traction control. Go to a good driving school and learn how to drive it.

GTS

ACR

New GTS, going back to the Bumble Bee special yeller n black

Obligatory shot of the ZR

That dark red/burgandy type color Viper Coupe on the bottom photo is drop dead GORGEOUS and BLOWS away the exterior look of C6 Z and ZR1 (for my tastes).

That being said the one thing I don't like about the 4th Gen Viper but I'm sure I would get use to it after a day or two (honestly), is the very cramped cockpit/interior, compared to a C6 Z, etc. All being equal, if I was in a position to make a move right now I would trade in my C6 Z for a 2008 to 2010 Viper ACR, or even the 2009 Silver VOI coupe, in a New York heartbeat! The car is drop dead bad azz, SCREAMS race car, and is 100000% more exclusive than a Corvette (you just don't see them and when you do people gravitate to them like a HUGE magnet)!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 03-23-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAnExpert
Are you implying that vipers hold their value irrespective of the market your trying to sell it in? So a viper that could sell for 90k in FL would also sell for 90k in Detroit, MI? If so you might try co-opting my forum name.
No I am implying that vipers do in fact hold their values much better than most cars and certainly much more than corvettes.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Van
I now completely understand your forum name...thanks for clearing that up for us.
Yep. He fits his name very well. Sad part is that he said so much to know so little.

It is so funny to tell those what their cars have and how they can't do this or that. The truth be known, most Viper owners had/have Corvettes to compare their car against and know perfectly well it's capabilities. The thing that always cracks me up is the know nothings trying to tell me how Viper's can't brake and how the A/C doesn't get cold. lol
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
It is so funny to tell those what their cars have and how they can't do this or that. The truth be known, most Viper owners had/have Corvettes to compare their car against and know perfectly well it's capabilities. The thing that always cracks me up is the know nothings trying to tell me how Viper's can't brake and how the A/C doesn't get cold. lol
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
tom46818
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I currently own 2011 Z06 Carbon Edition, 2013 ZR1, 2010 Viper ACR Voodooo Edition. All three are amazing cars and are fun to drive, it really depends what your looking for. Personally, I enjoy the Carbon Edition if I wanted a true track car with the 427 and the upgraded brakes it's truly a great track beast! The ZR1 on the other hand is a beast also, it is heavier than the Z06 yet so much fun to drive! As for the Viper you will have more people stop and ask you about the car and want to talk with you than either of my Corvettes. You see Corvettes all the time (which is fine with me since I love them), yet you will not see Vipers on the street daily. The Corvettes are amazing beast, yet the Viper is a Monster I love all of my cars for different reason. Pick the car that you want to drive do not let anyone else decide for you!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Jason,
what ever happened to this, did you buy one?
Capt Van
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

reason there are not alot of vipers on the road might be
Obviously not many made....about 28,000 since 1992 or something and lots of them are wrecked. When I bought my GenIII coupe (06) Dodge dealer warned that 50% of the viper they sold were totalled. You got to be on your game all the time with a car that has no traction nor stability controls. The vette is a lot more forgiving.

A clean carfax does not guarantee accident free. My mate wrapped his 08 around a pole by being a tad too spirited in 2nd gear. $20,000 in damage but showed a clean carfax when sold.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Dodge dealer warned that 50% of the viper they sold were totalled. .
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM
flea_sly
Instructor

negative, I'm in a holding pattern at this point until the middle of the year.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Obviously not many made....about 28,000 since 1992 or something and lots of them are wrecked. When I bought my GenIII coupe (06) Dodge dealer warned that 50% of the viper they sold were totalled. You got to be on your game all the time with a car that has no traction nor stability controls. The vette is a lot more forgiving.

A clean carfax does not guarantee accident free. My mate wrapped his 08 around a pole by being a tad too spirited in 2nd gear. $20,000 in damage but showed a clean carfax when sold.

Always have a body & mech pro check a car out before you buy it.

Get notified of new replies

To need VIPER help gents..

Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Its true you would know I'd you knew anything about vipers, most of the time it's a owner of another sports car that has nanny's , the driver doesn't realize what he is getting inlto.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

I trust my Dodge dealer. If he says that half of the ones they sold wrecked badly, I believe him. Does not mean that 50% are lost from every dealership, just from this particular one. I'm on my second viper and drive it with the greatest of respect.

In many ways vipers are crude, but that has always been the attraction for viper owners. We don't want the nanny controls. Many who are interested in the 2013 viper with its forced Federally mandated safety features, are already figuring ways to disable them.

Its true you would know I'd you knew anything about vipers
Yep...definitely showing ignorance.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM
flea_sly
Instructor

Need some help from the Viper experts...

I'm getting pretty partial to the White vipers. Did they make any white non striped vipers in 08 or 09? I've seen 1 09' for sale but has blue stripes. Also, gen 5 vipers what are the most desirable colors and least desriable?

Quick Reply: need VIPER help gents..