Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Painted Pinstripe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Painted Pinstripe Removal

Hello Folks,

My 2001 Ford F150 Lightning pickup has a painted pinstripe (applied by the previous owner) applied all along the top of the body line. Over the years it has become faded, and in some spots it has completely disappeared.

The original red paint is otherwise in excellent condition.

I would like to remove the remainder of the pinstripe - is this something I could do, perhaps with careful use of polishing/rubbing compound?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:12 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

A while back I removed some painted pinstripes from a friend's SN95 Cobra.... at the advice of a couple of people who did paint/body at the time along with detailing I was told to use oven cleaner (like EZ Off). Obviously I did a test first in a hidden area, I then proceeded to do small areas at a time, I had a bucked of clean water and sponge/wash mit handy.... after cleaning the pinstripe off a small area I then washed/flushed that area with clean water and moved on to the next area. Make sure you do this in a cool, shaded and ventilated area..... make sure you wear rubber gloves.

After you remove the stripes you will likely have to skate over the area with something like a foam pad polish glaze as this process will create some hazing on the paint. The car in question was black so it was very noticeable.... after hitting it with a quick pass or two with the foam pad polish glaze on a high speed buffer it looked good as new..... the car was very well kept and had little to no swirls/haze in the paint when we removed the stripes. After the quick buffing we washed the car and put a fresh coat of wax on it.

Last edited by MVR 155; 03-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Also thought I would add..... the paint on this car was all factory, if you have had any body/paint work done on your vehicle in the area where the stripes sit I would urge you to be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted Pinstripe Removal