Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New CTS to have 420-hp TT V6

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

Cadillac is moving the CTS more upmarket hence the CTS is no longer an entry level Cadillac. It is now the ATS. The new CTS would now be a true XF, E Class, 5 Series, GS, competitor.

Now about the C7, I highly doubt we will see 450 HP. I would have to guess at least 475 HP.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 03-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
"At launch, the 2014 CTS will also feature the naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V6 rated at 321 horsepower, as well as a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivering an estimated 272 horsepower."
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/off...-cts-gets.html

Power vs weight suggests the base Vette will have no problem kicking the living crap out of even the 420 hp CTS let alone the entry level one.
"Entry level" essentially refers to both trims of the regular CTS. When people talk about entry level luxury cars, they're talking about the IS, the 3-series, the C-class, etc. Not just the IS250, 328i, etc.

... Although to be fair, I suppose the CTS has become more of a GS, 5-series, E-class, etc competitor than an entry-level competitor. So maybe that's where I slipped up.

Regardless, I still can't imagine GM allowing the Vette to not blow the doors off of any Cadillac without a "V" at the end of its name. And yes, I know the C7 will still be way faster overall than a 420-hp CTS, and a good bit faster even in a straight line, but I would still expect more differentiation. Even just having power numbers that similar on paper is kind of strange IMO.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
"Entry level" essentially refers to both trims of the regular CTS. When people talk about entry level luxury cars, they're talking about the IS, the 3-series, the C-class, etc. Not just the IS250, 328i, etc.

... Although to be fair, I suppose the CTS has become more of a GS, 5-series, E-class, etc competitor than an entry-level competitor. So maybe that's where I slipped up.

Regardless, I still can't imagine GM allowing the Vette to not blow the doors off of any Cadillac without a "V" at the end of its name. And yes, I know the C7 will still be way faster overall than a 420-hp CTS, and a good bit faster even in a straight line, but I would still expect more differentiation. Even just having power numbers that similar on paper is kind of strange IMO.
You could make the same argument regarding the Camaro, but then neither vehicle actually competes with one another for sales on the market. The Cadillac is going to appeal to a different buyer than the C7, regardless of straight line performance differential.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the original posters assumption that the LT1 will have more hp is in fact correct.

450 was for the competition to hear and I believe whatever hp and tq numbers are needed to equal the awesome 427 convertibles acceleration times is what the LT1 will have...

Taking into consideration of the lighter c7 curb weight.

Jmo
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3

Even if it is the CTS we are talking about, the entry level CTS does not come with that engine. There are two lower-powered trim levels below that.
I'm not so surprised that power levels of sedans have crept up. After all, they have so much more weight to blunt that power. Realistically, these two cars are, as they say, as different as chalk and cheese.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury
I believe the original posters assumption that the LT1 will have more hp is in fact correct.

450 was for the competition to hear and I believe whatever hp and tq numbers are needed to equal the awesome 427 convertibles acceleration times is what the LT1 will have...

Taking into consideration of the lighter c7 curb weight.

Jmo

Not sure that has been confirmed yet? Just as with hp/tq, the weight figures are not out there yet. Yes, the frame has been announced as being 99 lbs (?) lighter, but other elements add weight back in. I have not yet seen a final total vehicle weight be announced by GM.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by janky
You could make the same argument regarding the Camaro, but then neither vehicle actually competes with one another for sales on the market. The Cadillac is going to appeal to a different buyer than the C7, regardless of straight line performance differential.
Well the difference with the Camaro was that it was released half a decade *after* the C6 was released, so it was only natural that technology would have advanced to a point that the Camaro could offer comparable power output.

This CTS and the C7 are both going to have a similar release window, however, so they will give us a pretty good idea of GM's longterm plan for how to position these models. Yes, they are very different cars, but there is at least some overlap in the target demographic here. Hell, you can already see at least one person in this thread mentioning how he might be buying a Caddy over the C7. And depending on how the C7, ATS-V, and next gen CTS-V turn out, I might be another such person. They're all high-powered, RWD, domestics from GM, so some of the appeal is common.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,526 Likes on 519 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The NEW CTS is now the 550, A6, and E550 competitor (the ATS will fight the 3 series, a4, and C Class Mercedes).

I expected this because the 550 bmw for 2012+ has 400 hp / 450 tq

Mercedes E550 - 402 hp / 443 tq

Both Mercedes and BMW are V8 TTs... they run 4.3 - 4.5 0-60s

GM is always a bit conservative... so its definitely right in the thick of the 550 and E550.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Inside News
Those features help the new CTS sedan reach 60 mph from a standstill in an estimated 4.6 seconds and achieve an estimated top speed of 170 mph (274 kph).
GM claims "under" 4 seconds 0-60 in the Stingray, 4.6 seconds from the TT V6 won't be encroaching on the C7's straight line acceleration.

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Not sure that has been confirmed yet? Just as with hp/tq, the weight figures are not out there yet. Yes, the frame has been announced as being 99 lbs (?) lighter, but other elements add weight back in. I have not yet seen a final total vehicle weight be announced by GM.

I'm pretty sure they meant C7 is lighter than CTS. Considering the Gen 3 CTS is growing in size to match up with the M5, if the C7 is not lighter than the 4 door sedan CTS, there is a problem. The CTS will be based on a stretched alpha. Alpha is what ATS is on. The LIGHTEST ATS with 2.5L inline 4 is ~3400 lbs, I would expect the 3G CTS to be at least 200 lbs heavier than that with the 3.6L TT
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this doesn't really encroach on Corvette territory at all. As I mentioned, and as several others have pointed out, the CTS is now a midsize luxury competitor -- not an entry level competitor. So my comparison in the OP was kind of silly.

Now if this engine was available in a non-V version of the ATS, THEN I would have a more legitimate case here...

... Regardless, I still really think [and hope] the LT1 estimate is very conservative, and we see something closer to 500 hp by the time it's officially rated.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 427 c6 convertible acceleration times will be what the c7 achieves.

The awesome new TT v6 CTS can not compete but it's a dam fine sports sedan from Cadillac
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the OP - Chevy must have 25-30 more HP under wraps. They are playing a very good PR campaign here - something they have also done significantly better than the miserable C6 launch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New CTS to have 420-hp TT V6