Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ralph's revenge on ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Lap times aren't any more conclusive than 1/4 mile times done on different days with different cars. They're simply the time that driver made it around the track in that particular car on that day. Too many variables to conclude anything more than the Viper TA and ZR1 appear to be about as evenly matched as can be. Sports car and track enthusiasts should praise and respect them both equally for achieving such high performance.

I just don't see why so many Corvette owners have such negative feelings about the Viper. As an impartial forum observer considering buying one or the other, Viper owners generally seem to be overwhelmingly enthusiastic about their cars, and respectful of other performance cars. Corvette owners...not so much.

Bruce
I was strictly a vette guy for years, until I finally said what the hell , and bought a Viper, that viper purchase has led me to other fast cars, such as the new mustang.

Viper owners are more generally enthusiastic about their cars, simply because it puts the driver back in controll.
Corvettes are great cars no doubt, but are getting so refined , it takes the enjoyment out of driving the car, while this may be great for your 60 year old senior, its not fun for somebody who is still young.

I had a ZR1 for almost a year, a c6 z06 for almost 2, my procharged boss, while more primitive and much less fined, always puts a bigger smile on my face.

The corvette people who don't like to think out of the box, have never been out of the box, they are not true car people, and certainly have never come close to testing half the limit of their cars, yet will quote you ,magazine times and comments all day long.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Bruce H.
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thankfully there's no BS at track days, and owners are generally great high performance driving enthusiasts. I've met outstanding people from both camps...although the Vette drivers generally don't give the pass-by signal too willingly Maybe they don't like Supras either!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The corvette people who don't like to think out of the box, have never been out of the box, they are not true car people, and certainly have never come close to testing half the limit of their cars, yet will quote you ,magazine times and comments all day long.
Who here doesn't like to think out of the box? Of course we know that Viper owners never quote magazine times.

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I think Ralph and Randy are okay. I heard Randy was a consultant to help sort out the car after the ZR1 challenge so there's probably no bad blood. Too much nobody knows, and likely serious Viper marketing spin going on to get too caught up in those kind of details, but I agree that comments seem disrespectful on the surface.
I'm on viperclub.org and yes, there's always going to be a few rabid nut cases in every group!
Bruce
It would be nice to get that on the record, but if that's true, then that further proves the point that it wasn't Randy that was the problem. The now-acknowledged fact that it was a pre-production sample not yet ready for prime time (despite Ralph and his team having had a ZR1 on hand by which to test) was the problem. Similar thing happened to the McLaren MP4-12C. The early test cars were found to have troublesome electronic door mechanisms, which made it difficult for journalists to get in. McLaren didn't blame the journalists for that; they tried fixing the mechanisms. Eventually, they just did away with the touch system and went with a button.
I think it's more than "a few" over at Viper Alley.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Bruce H.
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo

I think it's more than "a few" over at Viper Alley.
Just checked out that forum and you are absolutely correct!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the subject some............ I read somewhere that the Viper's V10 was some reason not "DI friendly" and was why with everyone going to DI for better performance the Viper motor does not have it.

Any knowledge of this ?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Viper will be using the trofeo R's on their upcoming performance monsters,as Michelin does in fact have a deal with Chevy .

Let's see proof of this?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Am I the only one that's thrilled about this new Viper? Chevrolet will recognize the Viper's superior performance and that will push them even harder to improve the C7 Z06 and ZR1. Competition breeds a better product. Would it be sacrilegious to respect both cars for their abilities?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lavender

Let's see proof of this?
A lot of things and especially when they are "an agreement not to or else" are never going to appear in written agreement form that is the only real proof other than a tape that is still only hearsay

This is a copy and paste of what I saw reading Motor Authority when speaking of the new ACR due out next year

Word is that the car would come to market sooner, if tire-supplier Michelin would only sell its Pilot Sport Cup product to SRT. The Viper’s Pirelli tires don’t return the same level of performance, so SRT has requested that Pirelli develop a tire specifically for the Viper ACR, and that takes time.

As for why Michelin reportedly won’t sell its Pilot Sport Cup tires to SRT, the answer is simple: they’re delivered on the range-topping Corvette ZR1, and Michelin isn’t going to endanger its relationship with GM.

Like the previous Viper ACR, the new model isn’t expected to produce more horsepower (to the delight of aftermarket suppliers), but it will serve up track-ready brakes, an adjustable (but track-focused) suspension, functional aerodynamics and weight savings via the deletion of luxury items.

Developing tires is tricky business, so it’s hard to say when the new SRT Viper ACR will hit the market in 2014. The same can be said of price, which, we suppose, will be determined by how many trick parts the new Viper ACR uses.

This type of "common knowledge" is probably as close to "proof" as possible
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Word is that the car would come to market sooner, if tire-supplier Michelin would only sell its Pilot Sport Cup product to SRT. The Viper’s Pirelli tires don’t return the same level of performance, so SRT has requested that Pirelli develop a tire specifically for the Viper ACR, and that takes time.
As for why Michelin reportedly won’t sell its Pilot Sport Cup tires to SRT, the answer is simple: they’re delivered on the range-topping Corvette ZR1, and Michelin isn’t going to endanger its relationship with GM.
And did Michelin endanger its relationship with Porsche? How about BMW (which also has an OEM fitment for the M3)? Which relationship did Michelin endanger by providing Cup tires concurrently to the GT2, GT3 RS, and Viper ACR?
That article fails to address a fundamental error in the logic: It would be dumb to prioritize a Cup tire for the SRT since by the time the SRT hits the market, the Cup is more or less made obsolete by the Cup 2 tire which is already hitting the market. And Trofeo Rs have been available to retailers for over a year already. Sounds like more 3rd hand rumor mongering as an excuse for why the ZR1 beat the Viper, probably emanating from the same dubious and disgruntled source.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

And did Michelin endanger its relationship with Porsche? How about BMW (which also has an OEM fitment for the M3)? Which relationship did Michelin endanger by providing Cup tires concurrently to the GT2, GT3 RS, and Viper ACR?
That article fails to address a fundamental error in the logic: It would be dumb to prioritize a Cup tire for the SRT since by the time the SRT hits the market, the Cup is more or less made obsolete by the Cup 2 tire which is already hitting the market. And Trofeo Rs have been available to retailers for over a year already. Sounds like more 3rd hand rumor mongering as an excuse for why the ZR1 beat the Viper, probably emanating from the same dubious and disgruntled source.
Bla, bla, bla,, you keep beating on a dead horse, the tire thing is true, and the Zr1 lost to the viper already, new tires weren't needed.

Also it is not any new knews that the viper that originally lost to the ZR1 was a preproduction car, it didn't matter as loss is a loss, SRT should have known better, regardless all that doesn't mean a darn thing anymore,,the ZR1 is a marvelous car, but is now extinct , coming in second at Laguna and the superbowl of tracks(the ring) is very respectable from such a non race riding comfortable vehicle..
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Bla, bla, bla,, you keep beating on a dead horse, the tire thing is true, and the Zr1 lost to the viper already, new tires weren't needed.
Just because you say it is true doesn't make it true. The tire thing doesn't even make any sense.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Just because you say it is true doesn't make it true. The tire thing doesn't even make any sense.
What does not make sense would be the Viper not wearing Michelin cups if they were available for it

Your logic is flawed
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Am I the only one who found it odd that SRT ran a lap with slicks as opposed to using MPSC tires after the TA set the record? Obviously there is something we don't know otherwise they would have run a lap with the cups. Either way it is 1000% fair to say the TA would have run a faster time with cups which only means that the ZR1 time will soon be destroyed by the ACR and the TA if they put cups on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Am I the only one who found it odd that SRT ran a lap with slicks as opposed to using MPSC tires after the TA set the record? Obviously there is something we don't know otherwise they would have run a lap with the cups. Either way it is 1000% fair to say the TA would have run a faster time with cups which only means that the ZR1 time will soon be destroyed by the ACR and the TA if they put cups on it.
Are cup tires available in the same sizes the Viper uses?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Good question. I believe the new Viper has 355's in the rear where as my old 2009 ACR had 345's. Not sure of the answer but I am sure that is a BIG *** footprint!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Good question. I believe the new Viper has 355's in the rear where as my old 2009 ACR had 345's. Not sure of the answer but I am sure that is a BIG *** footprint!
Only an assumption (I hate that word) on my part, but I think if they were available in the tire size SRT has chosen for the Viper, we would hear of then being used on a track test for a heads-up comparison between the two cars
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Unless as some have said Michelin has some sort of exclusive deal with GM although I highly doubt that. Or maybe another reason is that SRT (being Fiat/Italian) has an exclusive deal with Pirelli.

Get notified of new replies

To Ralph's revenge on ZR1

Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shurshot
A lot of things and especially when they are "an agreement not to or else" are never going to appear in written agreement form that is the only real proof other than a tape that is still only hearsay

This is a copy and paste of what I saw reading Motor Authority when speaking of the new ACR due out next year

Like the previous Viper ACR, the new model isn’t expected to produce more horsepower (to the delight of aftermarket suppliers), but it will serve up track-ready brakes, an adjustable (but track-focused) suspension, functional aerodynamics and weight savings via the deletion of luxury items.

Developing tires is tricky business, so it’s hard to say when the new SRT Viper ACR will hit the market in 2014. The same can be said of price, which, we suppose, will be determined by how many trick parts the new Viper ACR uses.

This type of "common knowledge" is probably as close to "proof" as possible
Thats what I thought.Angry fanboys crap...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shurshot
What does not make sense would be the Viper not wearing Michelin cups if they were available for it

Your logic is flawed
My logic is not flawed at all. Why would Viper push for using obsolete tires which are now being replaced by Cup 2*? Why would Viper push for Cup tires when the Trofeo R has already been on the market for over a year? Why didn't Michelin compromise its relationship between Dodge, Porsche, GM, and BMW when it was providing OE Cup tires to all of them? Not being able to answer one of these questions is something. Being incapable of answering all of them is quite another, and points to an unwillingness to examine the rumors (and that's all they are at this point) critically.
At 345mm, the Cup tire for the Viper ACR is still nominally 10mm wider than the ZR1's Cups, and they aren't compromised by a runflat design. The SRT's Corsas are 20mm wider.

*Here is the SLS Black Series, being released this summer, on Cup 2 tires at the LA Auto Show in 2012:
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Viper will be using the trofeo R's on their upcoming performance monsters,as Michelin does in fact have a deal with Chevy .

Quick Reply: Ralph's revenge on ZR1