Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ralph Gilles talks with Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by boost2na
I have love for both cars. Part that confuses me is why people are getting so upset when the cars are basically identical from a physics stand point. Seriously, power, torque, weight, transmission, it does not get any closer than this. So I'm confused why anyone would expect the viper to win by something insane like 6 seconds? Even if the wheels and tires on both cars were identical one car isn't gonna end up 1200 ft ahead. Not trying to start a fight, just doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective.

We are splitting hairs here on performance. Very similar.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
I think they should have said we don't care if the GTS is a tad slower, forget the time and money put in the Time Attack, and just focus on getting the ACR done right. If people complained just say our track times will be handled by our track car, the ACR.
Indeed. That would have been the classier thing to do. Much better than blaming Randy (who, unbeknownst to anyone outside of SRT at the time, was wrestling with an out-of-alignment car on green brakes) or making (so far unsubstantiated and logically questionable) claims about tire contracts.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't take my viper to the dragstrip. Not likely to do laps around Nurburgring with the thing. I do feel though that the whole 2013 SRT project was rushed and surprised that the hp only increased by 40 over the Gen IV (when previous increase from Gen III to Gen IV was 100hp). I have to believe that the 8.4L V10 could be have been massaged to 700 without forced induction. Mopar makes a bolt-on kit for the Gen III that bumps the hp from around 500 to 650.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
I don't take my viper to the dragstrip. Not likely to do laps around Nurburgring with the thing. I do feel though that the whole 2013 SRT project was rushed and surprised that the hp only increased by 40 over the Gen IV (when previous increase from Gen III to Gen IV was 100hp). I have to believe that the 8.4L V10 could be have been massaged to 700 without forced induction. Mopar makes a bolt-on kit for the Gen III that bumps the hp from around 500 to 650.

I think their rushing resulted in whatever "problems" they had with the mules (green brakes, alignment issues, whatever).

As for HP, I think, and other people have mentioned, that they may have some internal political issues regarding their HP limits. I.E. Fiat does not want them in the same range as their top of the line Ferraris. Could be bogus, but if it is true, it is a shame.

Quick Reply: Ralph Gilles talks with Motor Trend