Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Gen V Viper close to the 10's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised the boys at SRT did not find a way to get their motor up to around 675 hp or above before introducing the new Viper.
Yes...this surprised quite a few. One possibility is politics. There are plenty of head/cam packages for gen III/IV vipers that increase hp by 100+. It's hard to imagine that 700 hp could not be massaged out of such huge displacement. Gen IVs achieving 10s in the 1/4 are common with just a tire and gear change. Think the Gen IV has 3:07 gearing (not drag friendly).
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Lemish
Neil you will probably recall one of our first ZR1 outings together and there were 5 stock ZR1's on stock tires and everyone of them went in the 10's
Yeah, I think it was 4 stock ZR1s but with 5 different drivers. The 5th ZR1 was the Lingenfelter car that was not stock.

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Gen IVs achieving 10s in the 1/4 are common with just a tire and gear change. Think the Gen IV has 3:07 gearing (not drag friendly).
While the Gen IV had a 3.07 rear it had much steeper 1-3rd gears than the Gen V. It actually has a "better" 2nd and 3rd gear for drag racing than the Gen V.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FikseGTS
not personal at all, while we were thinking we could get into the 10's with it, I'm just saying I don't think the car was hyped to be an easy 10 second car....

This gray one?

2nd run he matched the Viper's 60' time but still didn't run well...
Kinda dissapointed in times for both cars. With those mods and tires Id imagine both were atleast a second of there capable time. But it all really comes down to drivers...
Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
And it still can't beat a 2012 ZR1. Just wait until C7 ZR1 is introduced.
Those 10 secomd Zr1's were all run at MIR, which is the fastest track in the nation, Viper will be easy 10's over ther.
2. That was a mule
3. The 2012 ZR is dead
4. Ralph has hinted that the performance viper will have F/I, you have no idea how mu h the V-10 loves F/I of any kind, what will be the excuse when viper comes on top again?

I have finally got a whole weekend in a gen 5 , it is without a doubt quicker than the ZR1, I'd say a few 10's in the 1/4.

Quick Reply: Gen V Viper close to the 10's