Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cam shopping for LS6, I know they're all over

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Broski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam shopping for LS6, I know they're all over

But I'm confused. Long story short, my CTS-V1 lost its oil pump, I was afraid of internal damage so sent it off to get rebuilt. I don't have time or money to mess with stuff these days.

When pulling my cam it was pretty chewed up. It was a GX3 242/112, so pretty large. I didn't mind it.

I'm hearing because the V's are so heavy I should go smaller to gain power under the curve. Does this make sense, over a larger cam for more overal power/torque?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm getting conflicting information.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Broski
But I'm confused. Long story short, my CTS-V1 lost its oil pump, I was afraid of internal damage so sent it off to get rebuilt. I don't have time or money to mess with stuff these days.

When pulling my cam it was pretty chewed up. It was a GX3 242/112, so pretty large. I didn't mind it.

I'm hearing because the V's are so heavy I should go smaller to gain power under the curve. Does this make sense, over a larger cam for more overal power/torque?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm getting conflicting information.
Build it up, go FI
4000# cam car is never going to feel fast
Ive owned a C5, '02 Z, 04 GTO, '05 CTSV, '09 600 hp modded V
The evolution of the CTSV speaks volumes - blower
Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Broski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha I'd love to move on to FI, unfortunately this is costing a bit more than anticipated already. I was about to list it to free up cash for a downpayment on a starter home after catching bike fever this Spring again, but I got delt this hand. So I'm just trying to make the best out of it while is open to drop in a cam that may give it some more pick-up, and be done for awhile.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Broski
Hahaha I'd love to move on to FI, unfortunately this is costing a bit more than anticipated already. I was about to list it to free up cash for a downpayment on a starter home after catching bike fever this Spring again, but I got delt this hand. So I'm just trying to make the best out of it while is open to drop in a cam that may give it some more pick-up, and be done for awhile.
LPE GT2-3

You should be able to find one for $200 tops. Use Stock LS6 Yellow Springs.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
LPE GT2-3

You should be able to find one for $200 tops. Use Stock LS6 Yellow Springs.
I wouldn't use stock springs on any aftermarket cam, you are just asking for trouble, a set of heavy duty springs are cheap and easy to swap, well worth changing.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I wouldn't use stock springs on any aftermarket cam, you are just asking for trouble, a set of heavy duty springs are cheap and easy to swap, well worth changing.
x2 - don't cheap out on valve springs. They're relatively cheap insurance... but if you skimp they can take out the whole engine.

-TJ
Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjZ06
x2 - don't cheap out on valve springs. They're relatively cheap insurance... but if you skimp they can take out the whole engine.

-TJ
The CC 918 can be used with a LPE GT2-3, but had worse reliability issues than OE GM. CC 921s are a bit overkill, hence my suggestion to just go with Yellow OE LS6 per LPE's suggestion. It wasn't to be cheap.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam shopping for LS6, I know they're all over

Quick Reply: Cam shopping for LS6, I know they're all over