Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Decided to leave the C7 behind

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
oxford98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decided to leave the C7 behind

I've been a long time corvette owner, going back to my 1963 silver-blue split window coupe and ending with my tenth corvette, a 2008 atomic orange convertible. These cars cover many years of my life and corvette shows and Corvettes at Carlisle. I still have my collection of Corvette News magazines and posters draping my garage walls of favorite corvettes. I spent countless hours reading anything corvette from Car and Driver to All Corvettes Are Red. The Corvette Black Book was always updated and a regular reading piece when I was bored. I went to Mecca or better known as Bowling Green to not only see building of my favorite car, but to see how I could get my 2001 ordered Z06 color changer to Millenium Yellow. Totally drove my wife nuts and took the tour twice in a day
My reward at Bowling Green was to have a worker on the line sneak me into the backlot to take me for a ride in a car I had ordered, but never drove - a Z06. Then to drive around the parking lot to see a black Z06 and a gentleman standing next to it. I had to stop and only to find out he was an engineer driving the Z06 looking for a "thud" in the transmission. Again, I was rewarded with a special drive by a great guy!
That engineer gave me the e-mail address of Jim Campbell who he felt would assist a long time vet owner get his dream color. When I returned from my trip, I e-mailed Mr. Campbell with my story of woe and much to my surprise, he not only answered me, but my dealer received a call from him stating he was changing my order from silver to Millenium Yellow! I will never forget the courtesy extended to me by Mr. Campbell. Side note was when I ordered the silver exterior, after my dealer said I would never get the yellow, I also ordered the red/black interior. The car came in with the red/black interior. In my excitement I never thought to ask about changing the interior color to all black. Mine may have been one of the few yellow with the red/black interior Z06's.
Why after all these years I decided to leave the faithful corvette group? After seeing the C7 I was not inspired as I have been in the past. Just looked like a different beast, not the same look, but a more "techno" appeal. Maybe I've just gotten too old and it is now a corvette for a new generation.
After feeling that I had lost my best friend I decided to look at some other vehicles to fill the void I felt. I had a open field since I had just lost my car to Hurricane Sandy! After researching the usual suspects I decided to stop by a Porsche dealer to look at the remodeled carrera 911 known as the new 991 series. I have to admit I was smitten! Maybe it was the classic design or the smooth power rush or fit and finish, or has age just caught up with me? Either way I ordered a new 2013 carrera.
Having received my new car and only putting 156 miles on it, I must admit it brings me back to that feeling I had for many years with my corvettes! I just felt the need to express to my corvette faithful how much I enjoyed my corvettes and only hope that all of you thoroughly enjoy your new C7's!
Maybe the new design will bring a younger group to the corvette breed. I can say that maybe, at least this old timer, it was time to move on. I wish all of you many happy miles of driving!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bye.

-Alex
Old 05-07-2013, 04:35 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I totally understand where you are coming from. I hope that you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new ride.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Very gracious comment.....I was totally blown away bye the 991 and was going full bore at getting one deep into 2012....then i heard about the C7 blitz and secrets....The second is saw it....the 991 felt to me to be a bit smooth, round, girly and the C7 won me over on the spot...Now I did own a Daytona sunset orange C6 and loved it....
Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up OP! All the best to you and may all your highways be open!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Best of luck! Post some pictures of your new car!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

You may still come around and warm up to it. I sure hope I do. b.t.w. are you going to hot rods n Harleys this Saturday?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Enjoy your new Porsche, hopefully you stick around. At some point in life I think every car enthusiast should at a minimum drive a 911 variant they are nice. I do know that you will still get that "look" in your eye whenever you see a Corvette on the road
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Always, ALWAYS, better to be green and growing than ripe and rotten. Good luck and happy motoring in your new rides. The Corvette legacy you helped to build will, indeed, live on Can't wait to see a C7 convertible with an American beauty waving from it in a 4th of the July parade next year The first one I will see in person will be in a few weeks at the Indy 500
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Everything becomes boring if you do it often enough.

If it's time to move on to a new adventure then may the roads be clear, the weather fine, the gas cheap, and the cops no where in sight.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What a wonderfully worded and elegantly written note - that level of class will be sorely missed among the Corvette faithful, I assure you.

It is a big ocean with a vast variety of fish and our tastes sometime change. At times I too have departed the Corvette faithful for a swim with a Viper, Ferrari, Porsche and some lesser known species. All of them were delightful and delicious in their own way.

Perhaps Porsche is your new Catch of the Day and will satisfy you for a long time to come. Or your taste may change again and a new pursuit catches your eye. It's all good and wonderful.

Moreover you get to take all of your Corvette experiences and positive memories with you as you embark on a new adventure. How blessed are we fortunate few that have had the privilege of sports car ownership - brand aside - what a great ride.

Happy Trails . . .
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM
jashearer
Racer

Please learn to
properly use the re
turn
key so it isn't so dang hard to re
ad, it was a good note th
at
was ruined by formatting

Jay
Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Great story! Great history...best of luck with that beautiful Porsche 911!

Is it the S? Does it have pdk? Or did you go old school with the Carrera manual and rear wheel drive...

All excellent choices and a beautiful car
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

man, sounds like a great car. Wish you could have waited a little longer to see how much you enjoyed the C7. Either way, enjoy!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

You'll be back.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Thrl_skr
Intermediate

Enjoy your 991, I was considering a 997 GT3 myself. Anyone in a position to choose between these excellent machines should count themselves fortunate.

Last edited by Thrl_skr; 05-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:35 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Good luck in your new adventure and enjoy your new ride. They are great cars.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Decided to leave the C7 behind

Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by oxford98
I've been a long time corvette owner, going back to my 1963 silver-blue split window coupe and ending with my tenth corvette, a 2008 atomic orange convertible. These cars cover many years of my life and corvette shows and Corvettes at Carlisle. I still have my collection of Corvette News magazines and posters draping my garage walls of favorite corvettes. I spent countless hours reading anything corvette from Car and Driver to All Corvettes Are Red. The Corvette Black Book was always updated and a regular reading piece when I was bored. I went to Mecca or better known as Bowling Green to not only see building of my favorite car, but to see how I could get my 2001 ordered Z06 color changer to Millenium Yellow. Totally drove my wife nuts and took the tour twice in a day
My reward at Bowling Green was to have a worker on the line sneak me into the backlot to take me for a ride in a car I had ordered, but never drove - a Z06. Then to drive around the parking lot to see a black Z06 and a gentleman standing next to it. I had to stop and only to find out he was an engineer driving the Z06 looking for a "thud" in the transmission. Again, I was rewarded with a special drive by a great guy!
That engineer gave me the e-mail address of Jim Campbell who he felt would assist a long time vet owner get his dream color. When I returned from my trip, I e-mailed Mr. Campbell with my story of woe and much to my surprise, he not only answered me, but my dealer received a call from him stating he was changing my order from silver to Millenium Yellow! I will never forget the courtesy extended to me by Mr. Campbell. Side note was when I ordered the silver exterior, after my dealer said I would never get the yellow, I also ordered the red/black interior. The car came in with the red/black interior. In my excitement I never thought to ask about changing the interior color to all black. Mine may have been one of the few yellow with the red/black interior Z06's.
Why after all these years I decided to leave the faithful corvette group? After seeing the C7 I was not inspired as I have been in the past. Just looked like a different beast, not the same look, but a more "techno" appeal. Maybe I've just gotten too old and it is now a corvette for a new generation.
After feeling that I had lost my best friend I decided to look at some other vehicles to fill the void I felt. I had a open field since I had just lost my car to Hurricane Sandy! After researching the usual suspects I decided to stop by a Porsche dealer to look at the remodeled carrera 911 known as the new 991 series. I have to admit I was smitten! Maybe it was the classic design or the smooth power rush or fit and finish, or has age just caught up with me? Either way I ordered a new 2013 carrera.
Having received my new car and only putting 156 miles on it, I must admit it brings me back to that feeling I had for many years with my corvettes! I just felt the need to express to my corvette faithful how much I enjoyed my corvettes and only hope that all of you thoroughly enjoy your new C7's!
Maybe the new design will bring a younger group to the corvette breed. I can say that maybe, at least this old timer, it was time to move on. I wish all of you many happy miles of driving!
I think the new design C7 was supposed to work the other way. Not drive Corvettes owners over to Porsche but to get Porsche owners over to the Corvette.

Oh well........
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I think the new design C7 was supposed to work the other way. Not drive Corvettes owners over to Porsche but to get Porsche owners over to the Corvette.

Oh well........
Next year at this time, Joe, tell us what the net effect has been. OK? What do you see here?

Quick Reply: Decided to leave the C7 behind