Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I Went to the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Seriously...if Corvette wants to compete with Porsche, they MUST get a solid DCT tranny in the next 2 years. There is just too large a pool of potential buyers who will turn off to the Corvette without it and move toward cars that do it well.

Add to that you see that chicks don't wear the right shoes to drive a manual so they whine and make their gutless husbands get a car they can shift. No offense!
Seem like if Porsche is going to have their GT3 compete with the C7, they are going to have to get a manual.

They can't wear heels with the floor mounted throttle in either car anyway.

Michael
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
Don't get me wrong: I could've bought the Stingray but she'd rarely get in it and would never drive it. I prefer the Porsche for several reasons but since she also likes it (who knew?) I get to indulge my love of cars and have my significant other not only encouraging it, but excited about it and looking forward to sharing the car with me. It's a win-win.

I don't need her approval to buy a car: Two years ago I unilaterally bought a 2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder.

A few months ago I bought a 2013 Bentley Continental GTC V8 (my third GTC in the past 5 years).

My point was simply that the Stingray is the best bang-for-buck there is and I wanted to share that with my Vette-loving brethren. I'm blessed with success in business and in life but don't have anyone who shares my passion for fast cars. I was looking forward to buying a C7 but now that the wife is into the Porsche, lucky me.
While I'm still not a fan of Porsche, I suppose I can accept this defense.

You may keep your man card for now.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bentley C7 Cayman 911 dog barking in locked C6 whatever

Edit: R8

Last edited by Nitrous Oxide; 05-24-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 AM
Raitzi
Racer

So much hate again in this thread. :/
Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank God she didn't tell you to buy a minivan instead. You'd be rolling in that new Caravan right now.

Holy crap. My wife fell in LOVE with the MINI. I don't care for it, but SHE loved it like crazy. SO, I made sure she stopped trying to be "practical" and we got her one. Because I love her, and want to make her happy. I didn't bitch and moan about how small they are, or how they ride like a wagon. Its HER car. I can "suffer" that little bit that I am in HER car in order to make HER happy. BTW, she is the EXACT same way with me.

My FIRST wife, however was a selfish bitch. Big rack, blonde hair, and shallow as a soap dish. I finally grew a pair and ended that BS.

I'm willing to compromise on a lot of things, like I freaking HATE the uncomfortable furniture my new wife picked out. But, hey, its not that big a deal to me. My car? Get out of here.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

That man song is hilarious. I heard it a while back and forgot all about it.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Every non Z car right? I would wager a Z06 or ZR1 would disagree
we (I) will soon see!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
Don't get me wrong: I could've bought the Stingray but she'd rarely get in it and would never drive it. I prefer the Porsche for several reasons but since she also likes it (who knew?) I get to indulge my love of cars and have my significant other not only encouraging it, but excited about it and looking forward to sharing the car with me. It's a win-win.

I don't need her approval to buy a car: Two years ago I unilaterally bought a 2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder.

A few months ago I bought a 2013 Bentley Continental GTC V8 (my third GTC in the past 5 years).

My point was simply that the Stingray is the best bang-for-buck there is and I wanted to share that with my Vette-loving brethren. I'm blessed with success in business and in life but don't have anyone who shares my passion for fast cars. I was looking forward to buying a C7 but now that the wife is into the Porsche, lucky me.
^^most excellent.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefe's GS
I use to think like this. Use to.

I've gotten a bit wiser w/ age.

Happy wife, happy life.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BMadden
I'm more confused by the fact that he has an R8 V10 and a Continental GTC, but wanted a C7. If you're playing in that ballpark why not just get a 458, Gallardo, Vanquish, etc?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good grief, I see 100 reasons never to get married in this thread.

OP good luck with the new Porsche as they are fine automobiles, but sorry to say, it seems like your wife is more obsessed with image than performance, and that's a real shame. Maybe in the past there was a large gap in the two vehicles but now, a C6 performs as well as a Porsche if not better in some cases. Sure, the Porsche has is on another level as far as fit and finish goes, but that's nothing you cannot change through the aftermarket, at a fraction of the price of that Porsche. In fact, I would argue that some of the goods offered by our vendors here are superior to what you would get in a new Porsche.

Anyway, good luck with the car. Don't let the Mrs. steer you away from Corvettes in the future. I believe the C7 is only start for the brand.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats, I love my porsche
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
ST31
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05dsom
I Went to the Dark Side

Me too.
I did the same - 911 Turbo
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Seriously...if Corvette wants to compete with Porsche, they MUST get a solid DCT tranny in the next 2 years. There is just too large a pool of potential buyers who will turn off to the Corvette without it and move toward cars that do it well.

Add to that you see that chicks don't wear the right shoes to drive a manual so they whine and make their gutless husbands get a car they can shift. No offense!
Agreed, I'd much rather have that then a standard manual, ESP in a city.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
While I love the new 991S and think its an incredible car that I would consider myself if I had $100k to burn. I will never understood the "look-at-me-guys-I-brought-another-car-instead-of-this-one-that-the-forum-is-about" threads.

Congrats on the new Porsche.. but I'm still confused as why you are telling us. Instead of joining www.porscheforum.com (or whatever its called) and telling them. And its not just going Corvette to Porsche. I would feel the exact same way about someone posting a thread in the C7 section.. that they just purchased a new C6.
Really? I know this is a Corvette forum, but we are car guys and I enjoy reading what other Corvette enthusiasts drive and enjoy.

If I ever spend $100k on a new car, I would sure as hell let everyone know about it, the reasons I got it and what I like and don't like about it.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Really? I know this is a Corvette forum, but we are car guys and I enjoy reading what other Corvette enthusiasts drive and enjoy.

If I ever spend $100k on a new car, I would sure as hell let everyone know about it, the reasons I got it and what I like and don't like about it.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Wait, so your wife vetoed the purchase of a C7, but she's OK with spending an extra $50K on a Porsche? WTF? Why??? If it was for family, practicality, or budget reasons, I could understand the wife having her way, but in this case it sounds like you're just throwing in the towel for no good reason... That is unless she is just as into sports cars as you are, and for some strange reason, she just likes the Porsche better than the Corvette.

If you can't defend yourself adequately here, I'm afraid I'm going to have to revoke your man card.
I think you may have to revoke your own.
If the man wants to buy a Porsche, let him buy a Porsche.
It's his money and they are damn nice cars, still a level above a Corvette.
I know it hurts to hear it but it is true.
Just may not be your cup of tea, that's cool.

And the wife loves it, that is cool.

Get notified of new replies

To I Went to the Dark Side

Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

While I love the new 991S and think its an incredible car that I would consider myself if I had $100k to burn. I will never understood the "look-at-me-guys-I-brought-another-car-instead-of-this-one-that-the-forum-is-about" threads.

Congrats on the new Porsche.. but I'm still confused as why you are telling us. Instead of joining www.porscheforum.com (or whatever its called) and telling them. And its not just going Corvette to Porsche. I would feel the exact same way about someone posting a thread in the C7 section.. that they just purchased a new C6.
Perhaps you missed the part where this is the "other cars" forum.

I wont completely agree with this. But I wont completely disagree with it either. If its your money, you should buy exactly what you want with it. I have no doubt that "the wife" does exactly that with "her money".

I never heard of any woman taking her husband along when she goes shopping, so that he can "approve" her purchases. Even the part about locking herself in the car. Suppose she locks herself in the Porsche or ends up not liking that. Now if its the husband spending "their" money.. and not "his" money.. then I would completely agree that the wife deserves to have input on what he is purchasing.
Originally Posted by robvuk
I'm a little confused by the OP. He WANTED a C7 but his wife WANTED a Cayman, but because it was TOO SMALL for his LARGE FRAME, he purchased a 911 for $115k. It seems to me he could have bought her the Cayman she wanted and bought the C7 for himself at only slightly more money and had TWO cars for the price of one. EACH driving what they preferred instead of both making compromises.
Maybe he actually likes spending time with his wife?

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Uhh it's not the 80 or the 90's anymore the C6Z06 and C6 ZR1 are faster and better sports cars in every way than any 911. The only advantage a turbo has is from a dig bacuase of it's AWD. On a real racetrack - Laguna Seca to Nurburgring - the Z Corvettes will bend over ANY 911 variant.

Lemans did not turn out so great either 911 vs Corvette.
A car purchase like this gentleman just made is not all about track times that none of us will ever see.
If that were the case, we'd all be driving Radical SR8's.

Last edited by vrybad; 06-03-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
I think you may have to revoke your own.
If the man wants to buy a Porsche, let him buy a Porsche.
It's his money and they are damn nice cars, still a level above a Corvette.
I know it hurts to hear it but it is true.
Just may not be your cup of tea, that's cool.

And the wife loves it, that is cool.
Relax, brotel. I was in large part joking. Besides which, he explained in our exchange from over a week ago that it wasn't just the wifey who wanted the Porsche. He preferred the Porsche on some levels himself.

I don't know what you mean by "a level above", though... Certainly not in terms of all around performance, which is the most important consideration when buying a performance car, but alright.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Relax, brotel. I was in large part joking. Besides which, he explained in our exchange from over a week ago that it wasn't just the wifey who wanted the Porsche. He preferred the Porsche on some levels himself.

I don't know what you mean by "a level above", though... Certainly not in terms of all around performance, which is the most important consideration when buying a performance car, but alright.
I can certainly agree that he explained his decision to go Porsche this time around.
I disagree that all-around performance goes to the Vette.
An AWD Porsche offers something a Vette never will.
I guess if you live by 'Ring times, then your logic follows.

Can you explain any portion of the bolded statement below?
Doesn't sound like you are joking to me.
Why is it only OK for a woman to make a decision based just on family, practicality or budget reasons?
Just sayin'.

Wait, so your wife vetoed the purchase of a C7, but she's OK with spending an extra $50K on a Porsche? WTF? Why??? If it was for family, practicality, or budget reasons, I could understand the wife having her way, but in this case it sounds like you're just throwing in the towel for no good reason... That is unless she is just as into sports cars as you are, and for some strange reason, she just likes the Porsche better than the Corvette.

If you can't defend yourself adequately here, I'm afraid I'm going to have to revoke your man card.

Quick Reply: I Went to the Dark Side