Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Does anyone know anything about Porsche 996's?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Broski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know anything about Porsche 996's?

I've been getting some interest in my V, so I'm thinking about my next car venture.

It was originally going to be a fairly modded C5, which I'm aware is typically the more reliable option of things of thought of. And most people here would be biased toward that option (and for good reason).

But for some reason I've all the sudden got the idea that a 996 would be fun. Granted, they are down a bit on power, so I was thinking doing a nice turbo set up would be sweet..

However I'm not much of a Porsche guru, so I was wondering if, aside from it being considered "The ugly step child" of the 911's, is there a reason they can be had from down in the $15K range? I think they look fine, a nice not over-the-top set of wheels helps a lot.

Anyway, advice from anyone more Porsche savy than myself would be great!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Well, I don't think you can get a turbo 911 for anywhere near $15k. I've owned two corvettes (since new) and two 996 cars (both used). The porsches were far, far, far, far more reliable than corvettes. I've purchased my 04 911 turbo in 2008 and the only thing it needed was a new alternator. Corvettes were going to the dealer nearly every other month.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Bigsalgt
Racer

If you have any interest in non-turbo Porsche's, you better start researching IMS issues associated with them. Intermediate shaft bearing failure can HAUNT non-turbo owners. Plenty to read on the topic, well documentated to boot.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Broski
Instructor

Huh, used German more reliable than an LS. Wouldn't have guessed!

Yeah I'm pretty sure the turbos were up well into the 30's, but some of the 2000's were in the $18k range. One was $15K I saw, but had 150K miles, which kind of scares me away.

Good to hear they are great cars though! I've always heard to stay away from the BMW's and Merc's after warranty, handn't heard much on Porsches.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Broski
Instructor

Ahhh yes, I have stumbled on a few threads on the IMS issue. Kind of scary.. This is probably just an infatuation. I don't think I can really justify doing what I want with a Porsche.. The "expendable" funds just aren't there..
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Broski
Huh, used German more reliable than an LS. Wouldn't have guessed!

Yeah I'm pretty sure the turbos were up well into the 30's, but some of the 2000's were in the $18k range. One was $15K I saw, but had 150K miles, which kind of scares me away.

Good to hear they are great cars though! I've always heard to stay away from the BMW's and Merc's after warranty, handn't heard much on Porsches.
I think the cheapest I've seen was in high 20s, but it did have nearly 300K miles.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Boosted Josh
Melting Slicks

On pre 06 cars with M96 based engine the IMS bearing can be replaced without splitting the block.

Some people consider it normal maintenance to be performed like you would a timing belt at every 75K or 100K miles.

LN Engineering makes a ceramic bearing kit to replace the stock steel one.

Otherwise you'll have the same type stuff that goes with age on any car. Parts will be more expensive for most things.

An aftermarket turbo or supercharger kit on a 996 will set you back at least 10K.

If you don't need back seats I'd look into a Cayman and a TPC turbo instead of a 996.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Broski
I've been getting some interest in my V, so I'm thinking about my next car venture.

It was originally going to be a fairly modded C5, which I'm aware is typically the more reliable option of things of thought of. And most people here would be biased toward that option (and for good reason).

But for some reason I've all the sudden got the idea that a 996 would be fun. Granted, they are down a bit on power, so I was thinking doing a nice turbo set up would be sweet..

However I'm not much of a Porsche guru, so I was wondering if, aside from it being considered "The ugly step child" of the 911's, is there a reason they can be had from down in the $15K range? I think they look fine, a nice not over-the-top set of wheels helps a lot.

Anyway, advice from anyone more Porsche savy than myself would be great!
we've had now goin' on 13 diff. 911's,...from 993's,..996's,..on into 997's,...the reason the 996 gen. is now selling cheaper than the other 2,..is that it WAS considered by porschephiles,..to be sorta not the best 911 generation,...too similar in looks to it's cheaper little brother, the boxster,...and supposedly had "build quality "issues, also was the first "water-cooled" gen.,...shocked a lot of "dye-hard" Porsche nuts!....some thought the 996 gen.,...was lacking in "oomph"?but,..yeah,..you will now ALWAYS find them cheaper that any 993,..[the last of the air-cooled gen,...considered by many Porsche affionado's to be the last "true" Porsche 911,..so they are actually GOING UP! in price!],..and the 997 gen,...which is now being re-appraised as a remarkable gen. in the 911,..so,...many values in the 996 gen,...just check it over very carefully,..and you can get some really good bargains!,...I don't like 'em as much as the 997 either,..but!,...they are quite a value nowadays,...hope this helps?...

Last edited by geezerman; 07-17-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterK
Well, I don't think you can get a turbo 911 for anywhere near $15k. I've owned two corvettes (since new) and two 996 cars (both used). The porsches were far, far, far, far more reliable than corvettes. I've purchased my 04 911 turbo in 2008 and the only thing it needed was a new alternator. Corvettes were going to the dealer nearly every other month.
yeah,..i doubt ya can find any 996 gen. turbo for 15k?,..but you CAN find some "high-mileage" 996's for 15-20-25k,...I too didn't particularly love our 996's,...but never had any problems with them,..just found 'em to be a little "dull"?,..and have loved our 997's much better!,....I've heard that the vette's are being built WAY better than before?,..and now rival,...or are VERY close?,..to Porsche's build quality?,..so,..i'm very interested,..at some point,..and either adding one to our stable,..or,..god-forbid to my Porsche brethren,..actually ditching our 911!,..FOR THE VETTE!,...will the earth shatter?,..my Porsche bro's seem to think so!lol!,..but,..I've ALWAYS been a "restless" car guy,..so,..on to new adventures,...is my motto!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Had a 996 Turbo (and countless other Pcars). It was a fantastic car from a build quality and performance standpoint. Although certainly not worthy of the $120K+ price tag when new. Like others have said, the non Mezger engine 996's had countless IMS and RMS issues to watch out for. The only major item that I can recall on the 996 Turbos was the second gear pop out issues --- mainly on the earlier models 2001 and 2002. The Mezger engines are damn near bulletproof. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one (after PPI performed) with 50k+ miles on it.

The base (non Turbo'd or GT3) 996 looks like hell to me. The 996 GT3 and 996TT weren't exactly "lookers" in their ownright with those hideous headlamps.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:28 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Yes, the 996 are probably the least attractive 911 in the entire history of the line. In, I'll be the first to admit that the front end is just ugly. I see this as an opportunity to own a fantastic, albeit ugly, car when it comes to value for money. It would take me probably $30K to move from my car to a 997TT but the cars would be nearly identical in the powertrain department since my car has upgraded turbos and much better aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by PeterK; 07-21-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

A 996 for $15k will probably cost you another $10k in repairs and cleanup to make it into a clean car, and will still be uber high mileage.

Also, nothing on a 911 is cheap (to buy). A little plastic gear about 1/4" in diameter was $45 for my father's. List on that part was $60.

They're great cars, but buying an inexpensive Porsche is about the best way there is to make you hate Porsches. It'll cost you a lot to keep it going, bring it back from BTS, and the 996 isn't as DIY friendly as previous 911s were.

Also, a turbo setup on a 911 will be pricey for a decent one. Aftermarket parts cost an arm and a leg for 911s, and there's not really a good "value" brand for them - a value Porsche part is like a top of the line Corvette part.

That said, rear engine cars are definitely fun, and can be a handful. But IMO, save yourself the hassle, and buy the $50k 911 Turbo up front, rather than be $50k into a car you wanted to buy for $15k.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

There are plenty of quality used 996 Turbos in the $30K range, and many more in the $40s. However, most of those will be higher mileage; probably 80K miles and up. That being said, if it's been well cared for that shouldn't scare you away.

Are they cheap to own? Yes, when it's not broken. Costs for the following repairs:

Alternator: $900
Water Pump: $1300
Clutch: $2000+ (if you stay stock)
Slave Cylinder: $1500+ (less if you do the clutch at the same time)
Window regulator: $500
And so on.

Ask me how I know.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

It's like almost all high-dollar cars that are beyond their warrant periods - easy to buy (used), but expensive to keep.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
There are plenty of quality used 996 Turbos in the $30K range, and many more in the $40s. However, most of those will be higher mileage; probably 80K miles and up. That being said, if it's been well cared for that shouldn't scare you away.

Are they cheap to own? Yes, when it's not broken. Costs for the following repairs:

Alternator: $900
Water Pump: $1300
Clutch: $2000+ (if you stay stock)
Slave Cylinder: $1500+ (less if you do the clutch at the same time)
Window regulator: $500
And so on.

Ask me how I know.
I had the alternator replaced on my car. The total bill came to $500 for an autozone unit + 1.5hr of labor.

Last edited by PeterK; 08-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Mtlfusion
Drifting

Originally Posted by PeterK
I had the alternator replaced on my car. The total bill came to $500 for an autozone unit + 1.5hr of labor.
Post more pics of yours please

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know anything about Porsche 996's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone know anything about Porsche 996's?