Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Help: looking for a new daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Default Help: looking for a new daily driver

We want to trade in our 2012 Nissan Altima (because they suck) and purchase a 4x4 SUV or truck, preferably with less than 30,000 miles.

I haven't had any luck finding a Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra within our price range ($20k-25k) and am pretty clueless when it comes to SUVs.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SL1D3R
We want to trade in our 2012 Nissan Altima (because they suck) and purchase a 4x4 SUV or truck, preferably with less than 30,000 miles.

I haven't had any luck finding a Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra within our price range ($20k-25k) and am pretty clueless when it comes to SUVs.
Where do you live ?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Instigator99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you looking to spend? I recommend a newer Explorer.

-Eric
Old 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda Ridgeline, just a few things it has that most other pickups don't......

4 wheel locking diffs

Huge water tight trunk under bed.

Dual action tail gate. (every pickup should have this)

Heated wipers (a must when driving in a heavy snow storm)

Not to big, yet 4' X 8' sheet rock, plywood lie flat in bed and 3/4 ton rated.

Drives like a nice car.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Honda Ridgeline, just a few things it has that most other pickups don't......

4 wheel locking diffs

Huge water tight trunk under bed.

Dual action tail gate. (every pickup should have this)

Heated wipers (a must when driving in a heavy snow storm)

Not to big, yet 4' X 8' sheet rock, plywood lie flat in bed and 3/4 ton rated.

Drives like a nice car.
The Ridgeline is not "3/4 Ton" rated...... just because it's payload is equal to 3/4's of a ton at ~1500lbs (depending on trim level). It's not the least bit accurate to call the truck a 3/4 ton. By way of comparison a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 (3/4 ton) can carry 3,670lbs. Info for the Ridgeline is current model year It's also a unibody constructed vehicle, not even on a truck chassis, it has a tow rating of 5,000lbs max and only makes 247 ft/lbs of torque at a peaky 4700rpm. Not exactly a stout hauler or tow vehicle..... great for a weekend warrior looking to hit the home depot here and there or tow a light little boat around on the weekends. Again for comparison a Silverado 2500 can tow a maximum of 13,000lbs off a ball hitch and over 17,000lbs from a 5th wheel setup.

The transmission, drive axles, suspension etc..... are not even close to what anyone would call "heavy duty". Severe duty would have the Ridgeline on the sidelines pretty quickly. The Ridgeline is not a truck...... its a crossover with a truck bed.

To the OP...... if your looking at Titans and Tundras then you are looking at full size trucks. Both the newer Silverados and F-150's are pretty nice offering good power, hauling and towing capability while still getting decent economy..... these are probably going to be priced a bit better than the foreign counterparts.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

The OP wrote nothing about needing a HD truck and you don't have to sell me on the attributes of a full size pickup truck, full size pickups were all I owned before I purchased the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline was like a breath of fresh air. Like you, some of my buddies were scratching their heads, but two of them had since traded in their trucks for Ridgelines. The Ridgeline is truly is a great truck or whatever you are comfortable calling it.

As far as the load rating, of course the Honda is not rated as high as a Chevy 2500 or Ford 250, however, Honda is famous for over engineering their vehicles. I personally have loaded over #2000 of pavers, bricks and even a pallet of sheet rock in the bed without even a hiccup from my Ridgeline. I also easily towed a not so small boat (see picture) thousands of miles each summer.

And the best part of all was, when it came time to sell my Ridgeline I found the resale values on these things were very high.

Great truck, wish they would hurry up and come out with a new one.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fat roommate has a ridgeline and it was a complete pos... it drove like crap, had little power, brakes were mushy, noisy.. just godawful. Its not a truck by any means, its just an suv with a bed on it... and a tiny one at that. I would suggest something like a used lexus bmw audi suv.. if you wanna do domestic explorer or tahoe would work. I had a tahoe, dont get a 2007 it had driveline balance issues and liked to vibrate at speed lol
Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
My fat roommate has a ridgeline and it was a complete pos... it drove like crap, had little power, brakes were mushy, noisy.. just godawful. Its not a truck by any means, its just an suv with a bed on it... and a tiny one at that. I would suggest something like a used lexus bmw audi suv.. if you wanna do domestic explorer or tahoe would work. I had a tahoe, dont get a 2007 it had driveline balance issues and liked to vibrate at speed lol
So easy to spot BS.

"My fat roommate has a Ridgeline" and the rest of your description is in past tense???

It's OK to not like something, no need to make up stories to put it down.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
The OP wrote nothing about needing a HD truck and you don't have to sell me on the attributes of a full size pickup truck, full size pickups were all I owned before I purchased the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline was like a breath of fresh air. Like you, some of my buddies were scratching their heads, but two of them had since traded in their trucks for Ridgelines. The Ridgeline is truly is a great truck or whatever you are comfortable calling it.

As far as the load rating, of course the Honda is not rated as high as a Chevy 2500 or Ford 250, however, Honda is famous for over engineering their vehicles. I personally have loaded over #2000 of pavers, bricks and even a pallet of sheet rock in the bed without even a hiccup from my Ridgeline. I also easily towed a not so small boat (see picture) thousands of miles each summer.

And the best part of all was, when it came time to sell my Ridgeline I found the resale values on these things were very high.

Great truck, wish they would hurry up and come out with a new one.

You are correct that the OP didn't state he needed an "HD" truck but he did mention he was looking at Titans and Tundras which are both full size trucks, full frame, V8 powered etc..... I was simply pointing out that the Ridgeline is not a 3/4 ton truck. I personally have nothing against the Ridgeline, I think its a good concept and well fit for light duty/towing. Honda also does make a great vehicle, I owned 4 different Acuras over the past 13 years (just traded the last one I owned 4 months ago for a new Audi S4..... not expecting it to be as reliable but its much more fun to drive).

Get notified of new replies

To Help: looking for a new daily driver

Quick Reply: Help: looking for a new daily driver