Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

First Impressions - Infiniti Q50

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions - Infiniti Q50

I am very excited about the new Q50 and thought it can be a potential upgrade to my '05 G35 Sedan should i decide to change or upgrade in near future.

The Q50 is successor to G37. It comes with 3.7 L V6 having 328 hp and 269 ft-lbs@5200rpm. It is carried over from G37. It also have a 7-speed transmission.

Yesterday, i had a chance to spend some time with Q50. I only spent time exploring interior and exterior. Didn't have time to do a test drive. As such i wanted to test drive a fully loaded model - the one with lane change assist, blind spot, all around monitor and other technologies which they didn't have in stock. The dealer got 10 pieces and sold 8 within 10 days. They only had hybrid and a 3.7 Premium S on display and they are awaiting a software update so these two are also booked but on hold. They are getting more on Aug 5th.

Here is my first impression of Q50.

- Looks:

Q50 is a good departure from G35/G37. It have evolved a lot while maintain similar profile. I loved it just as much as i love G35. The DRL looks good on the front and the grille is very noticeable albeit not too big like Lexus. Lots of creases on the bonnet and side. It makes it look muscular and feels just right. They have 3.7 and Hybrid badges on fenders.

I saw the 3.7 Premium and S models. Both looks very good. Finally, they have managed to fill the wheel wells and now it sits lower and better. My G35 looks has a big gap in wheels even after having 18 inchers so this is a welcome change.

Look wise, its great IMHO. I don't dig too much chrome so that will have to be replaced either at factory level or through Plasti-Dip.

- Interior

The best part of the Q50 is the new, improved interior. Looks delicious once you are in. They have option of Leatherette and Leather. Leather is an additional $1000 option. A few pointers about interior that i immediately noticed.

Manual adjustment for reach and rake. It used to be powered in all versions before. This time it comes in top of the line model or with a package. This is a big disappointment.

Q50 has dual screen in the middle stack. The upper screen is Nav and lower screen is various controls like temperature, audio and other stuff. The screen was quite responsive. No lag, no false touch. Very logically laid out.

The fit and finish is very good. Loved the new trim they introduced in doors and console. It can be replaced with wood which looks ok. Not a fan of those. I saw two interiors - One is dual tone black and beige which looks good but having owned beige i wouldn't want it again especially the floor and door sills. The black interior is better.

The start-stop button is conveniently placed and so are other controls. Comes with Bose sound system as usual but i hope the system has been fixed. Bose system in Infiniti is very famous for malfunctioning after some years. Mine went out couple of months back. My friends '06 also malfunctioned couple of years back. Its an expensive replacement.

There is a drive mode selector on the console. It had options like standard, sport, eco and ice. Didn't test it so don't know if it is any effective.

As far as comfort is concerned, the space, size of seats is very good. If the old seats are anything to go by, the seats will be very comfortable on long journeys.

The console storage has decreased from initial impression. Again a disappointment. Coming to the back, the legroom is marginally more than G35. The seats doesn't recline - again another disappointment though the default recline is quite comfortable. Still having a recliner would have been quite good. This is mostly good as 4-seater as the AC Vents at back protrude and so does the transmission tunnel. Occasionally 3 at back should be good. I noticed the front seats is shaped in a way to accommodate more legroom.

The cargo space seems a little less from visual POV. I am not sure in terms of true capacity. It does have a pass through which is convenient and has 60:40 split seats.

I saw a 3.7 Premium listed for $42k while Hybrid was $55k. Even though both didn't have the technology package which costs $3200 which i would definitely buy just for the new technologies it introduces and is cool. A fully loaded 3.7 will easily reach $50k. A Q50 S will be $52k. Not bad considering it adds to many new improvements to the exterior, interior, features and technologies and hopefully the way it drives too. I also saw mark up of $2000.

So far, the impressions are really good. Can't wait for a detailed test drive to explore what it has to offer on road. Thank you for reading.

http://www.infiniti.com/us/
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like Infiniti, had a 2000 I30 and a 2009 FX35. Currently drive an Acura ZDX.

If I were to compare my 2009 Infiniti with my Acura ZDX, I would say that the Infiniti is more fun to drive but Acura uses higher quality materials in its interior, has a better ride, quieter and all around more solid feel than the Infiniti.

From what I have seen and read about the Q50, Infiniti has once again stepped it up a notch and is building a world class car.