Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

McLaren P1 on Jay Leno's Garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default McLaren P1 on Jay Leno's Garage

Jay just got his personal P1, the first one delivered in the USA. If you haven't seen this show (available online) and heard about his P1, you need to. The president of McLaren Cars is with him on t he show.

This thing turns the quarter mile in about 9.7 seconds at 147 mph, but can drive like a Cadillac when you want it to.

Just amazing....

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ja...his-81170.html
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Great video! Thanks for posting the link. What an amazing car all the way around. What's cool about Jay is he's like a 12 year old kid when he's driving and even talking about a car.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm liking the P1 more than the other two hypercars at the moment. Great video.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, saw the video. It is definitely a fast car. I just hate the way it looks. I would take the original F1 over that any day. Plus, I'm not a big fan of battery packs and small turbo-charged engines. I understand why Mclaren went that route and they made a damn fast car but, I'm more of an analog type guy. So is Jay Leno. It surprised me that he actually bought a P1 with paddle shifters and all. I would have pegged him more of a Zonda or Koenigsegg type of guy. I guess he really likes Mclarens. He owns all models now.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 AM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky...
I think I'm liking the P1 more than the other two hypercars at the moment. Great video.
Me too. Dont love the way it looks, but man does it look FUN. I also love that McLaren talks about wanting people to drive the car a lot. Isnt that the whole point?

The LaFerrari is beautiful and looks fun too. But given the money i might be inclined to buy the McLaren just to avoid the Ferrari douchebaggery and the inclination not to DRIVE them. And I love Ferraris. Been a walking Ferrari encyclopedia since I was about 10.

The Porsche 918 is meh IMHO and even given its apparently breathtaking capabilities just doesnt do it for me, just like most Porsches compared to their competitors at all the respective price points.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:48 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06

This thing turns the quarter mile in about 9.7 seconds at 147 mph, but can drive like a Cadillac when you want it to.

Just amazing....

http://www.autoeven-a-car-that-stops...his-81170.html
Yeah it's a robot car, the left seat passenger just has to guide it.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:03 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

My new favorite car !
Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by LTC Z06
Yeah it's a robot car, the left seat passenger just has to guide it.
So do all the F1 drivers in their F1 racecars.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:19 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
So do all the F1 drivers in their F1 racecars.
Yeah, and thus F1 has become the most boring spectacle on earth. It is a complete joke. My biggest challenge when watching F1 is to stay awake for the whole race.

The cars no longer have "engines" but "power units" consisting of a tiny 1.6 litre turbocharged gas engine and two large battery packs. New F1 rules require the new engine to have only one single exhaust and that along with turbo make the car sound like bees in a can. They cannot use use more than 100 kgs of fuel per race at a monitored flow rate. So, in effect, the drivers are hypermiling and not racing. What happened to the days where the fastest car and fastest driver wins the race? It's a damn shame!

Unfotunately, this "great technology" is being transfered to the consumer supercars. The Mclaren P1 is the result. Iphone on wheels. Oh well, I guess I'm just too old school to appreciate the technology.

Last edited by Cybermind; 05-22-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

I don't know where you draw the line. Even Jay admits he has almost bitten the dust a few times in his F1. Hands down the F1 Mc Laren is a better looking car and comes with the coolest seating position of any supercar out there. The fact that the P1 accelerates right with the quickest sport bikes built amazes the hell out of me. The fact that the motor is only 231 cubes is not my cup of tea. I much prefer the sound of a V8 that has charactor. Here are a few of my favorites.

Just before Jim's Chevelle passes this is a sound like no other.

And then their is Pete !

Get notified of new replies

To McLaren P1 on Jay Leno's Garage

Quick Reply: McLaren P1 on Jay Leno's Garage