Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale
View Poll Results: If you were in the market for a Viper, which would you prefer
Heavy modded Gen II GTS
24.14%
New, or almost new, Gen V GTS
75.86%
Neither. I'd get a Gen III / IV
0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition

Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Capt Van
CF Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by Mr Guns View Post
Thanks for sharing, Capt Van. I really enjoyed reading your story and the photos as well. That's awesome about Ralph Gilles showing up with the Gen V! All of your snakes look great, but the Gen V yellow / black is extremely stunning. I've wondered what full stripes would look like with the srt hood, and now I know. It looks great!

Thanks, I'm not sure if the SRT hood is available on a GTS, my understanding is this was very limited but good luck.

As far as driving school, did your gen V purchase come with a school included?

Umm no, I guess they figure if you are buying one you should know how to drive one.

My C7 purchase came with a discounted rate at Spring Mountain which I may take advantage of, however the C7 is pretty docile compared to the Viper.

My 1st ZR1 as well as this one came with the Spring Mountain school. I highly recommend going you will amazed how much you will gain from going, in fact pay the extra cash to stay for the 3rd day and stay at one on the condos on the property.
Originally Posted by TonyCool View Post
I you have the coin I would go for the Gen V over the twin turbo Gen II no question. Not only the V is likely going to be faster it's a light years better when it comes to refinement, build quality, fit and finish and interior.

I would personally rather have a Gen 4 ACR over a Gen 5 but if you have to question it then it's the Gen5 no question.
Good info, Tony, the ACR is a hard habit to break, but I can't stress enough that it demands your full attention...all the time.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

The interior on the Gen V is light years ahead of the Gen II. That's not an exaggeration either. Then Gen V is a nicer car on so many levels.

Yes the SRT hood is available on the GTS (I agree with you, the SRT hood is way cooler! )

Also, the Viper is selling like garbage, so you can get some great deals on a new one! How do I know? I work for Chrysler in Powetrain Engineering, so I hear about it

Last edited by Crabbers; 07-09-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 PM
NytmereZ
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD View Post
it would be tough for me to pass on a clean well done tt viper...esp that blue w the white stripes! good luck w your decision. Talk to NytemereZ here..he is a viper guy
NytmereZ is a corvette,Viper.Mustang, hyper bike guy, and for the record ive had 5 vettes to 1 Viper , personally I would go with the TT Viper, if its done right you will embarrass most anything, but then again im still in my 30's, if I were 50 or older my opinion might be different.
to the poster who said that the Gen 5 would be faster than a TT Viper that if built right is a 9 second car......:crazy 2:

Last edited by NytmereZ; 07-09-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Mr Guns
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ View Post
NytmereZ is a corvette,Viper.Mustang, hyper bike guy, and for the record ive had 5 vettes to 1 Viper , personally I would go with the TT Viper, if its done right you will embarrass most anything, but then again im still in my 30's, if I were 50 or older my opinion might be different.
to the poster who said that the Gen 5 would be faster than a TT Viper that if built right is a 9 second car......:crazy 2:
That's what's so tempting about the turbo GTSs. Those cars are faster than most anything on the road, including most bikes, at least from a roll. And the design still looks great after all these years. Would be a fun car to take to run standing mile or 1/2 mile roll races with. This single turbo GTS just came up for sale for $53K:

Last edited by Mr Guns; 07-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:47 PM
R&D
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5 years later... Just curious if the OP ever bought a Viper???

I still have my 1996 UGR TT B&W GTS after about 9 years ownership. I've been through several vettes during this time (I still love and DD my C6Z), but after all these years my Viper still gets my blood moving more than any vette. I stare at it everytime I see it in the garage! It's absolutely timeless IMO and it turns heads like crazy. I've still never run across another car or bike while driving it that can touch it from a highway roll either. It ran in the 7's back in the day, but no more trips down the drag strip for mine, I'd be too afraid something would happen to it, lol. I'm sure it's going up in value over the years, but I don't care as I can't imagine parting with it. With that said, I think these cars are going to be worth decent money in the future, it's just such an iconic and classic design!

Anyway, for the OP's sake, I hope he got the modded gen 2 GTS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which would you buy: Gen II Viper GTS Twin Turbo or Gen V Viper Launch Edition

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: