Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2002 S10 - Only Blows Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
sharktooth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 S10 - Only Blows Hot Air

Hello, folks; First post in the off-topic section.

I have a 2002 Chevy S10 for my daily driver. When I turn on the A/C, it simply blows hot air. I've read numerous posts and articles, and I'm not sure what my trouble is, but I don't think it is related to low levels of R134.

I hooked up an A/C manifold just to see what was going on. It already has a dye in the system, and I can't find any leaks. On removing the cap on the high pressure side, I could hear it start to hiss. After disconnecting, I hear no hiss any more, neither with the cap on. It was only in taking it off.

While I had the manifold on, with the A/C in full, and the engine running, I watched the low pressure side jump from 20 to 70 PSI.

The high pressure remained fairly stable and stagnant at about 75 PSI.

I presumed that I had a blend door problem (because it sounded fairly common), and removed the glove box - and when I turn the blend ****, I hear the actuator working, so I'm not so sure I have an actuator problem. It does turn, and it does stop turning.

Anyone know if it is because I have too little freon in the system? What would the pressure readings say?

BTW, the high pressure side was actually cool to the touch (which seemed odd to me).

Thanks for taking a stab at my problems!
Joe

Quick Reply: 2002 S10 - Only Blows Hot Air