Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cayman S 6 speed. Personal Review vrs.07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Cayman S 6 speed. Personal Review vrs.07 Z

Hi all. Just traded in my Z for the 2014 Porsche Cayman S sport package. Feels like a ride on rails. On the street I have not noticed the loss of 180hp/200ft lbs but I have noticed the handling capabilities of this mid engine ,slightly rear bias 2950# car on this quiet early Saturday mourning, with, the Caymans optional Sport suspension package and Sport Plus "Hard" tune. I'm sure ,after owning my Z since new, that the Z would kick its' azz on MOST track events ,on the street, though, this Cayman is more fun to drive and easier to drive fast on the street even with the manual. Its' compact cabin, high bolster seat and responsive steering allow for more go fast manuvers, again IMHO. I will ,however, be observing the C7z closely as the seasons go buy and will be looking forward to arranging a road test at MacMulkins. BFN, Frank.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Cayman is a great car indeed!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Nice detail on the interior. I was just checking out he Porsche lineup the other day at a local Porsche dealer.

I respect your choice although I'm not sure I'd jump....

Have fun.

Thinking of the new Macan with 21 inch rims as a family transport. The new Macan is so popular and supply so limited Porsche is offering a 6 month lease on the cayman boxster s to hold onto buyers..(of the Macan)

I was very impressed with the detail of the cayman s.....

Quality product.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Nice detail on the interior. I was just checking out he Porsche lineup the other day at a local Porsche dealer.

I respect your choice although I'm not sure I'd jump....

Have fun.

Thinking of the new Macan with 21 inch rims as a family transport. The new Macan is so popular and supply so limited Porsche is offering a 6 month lease on the cayman boxster s to hold onto buyers..(of the Macan)

I was very impressed with the detail of the cayman s.....

Quality product.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Hi all. Just traded in my Z for the 2014 Porsche Cayman S sport package. Feels like a ride on rails. On the street I have not noticed the loss of 180hp/200ft lbs but I have noticed the handling capabilities of this mid engine ,slightly rear bias 2950# car on this quiet early Saturday mourning, with, the Caymans optional Sport suspension package and Sport Plus "Hard" tune. I'm sure ,after owning my Z since new, that the Z would kick its' azz on MOST track events ,on the street, though, this Cayman is more fun to drive and easier to drive fast on the street even with the manual. Its' compact cabin, high bolster seat and responsive steering allow for more go fast manuvers, again IMHO. I will ,however, be observing the C7z closely as the seasons go buy and will be looking forward to arranging a road test at MacMulkins. BFN, Frank.
Another long time Z owner gone lol. Great choice for a replacement sports car, as you mentioned other cars can be more fun then a Z06 in normal/slower driving.
Nice not to worry about an engine failure too and drive without that in the back of the mind.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

..talk about fun - a Miata with Ohlin coilovers and a supercharger - far less money than a Cayman and 99-100% as much fun.
....only 50% of the "prestige", though.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by White Out
Congrats on the new car!

If you're into modifying the car, coilovers transform the car.

That's about as relative to a Cayman as a Corvette is.
Thanks.This Cayman has the x73 sport suspension. As close to coilovers as I could possibly imagine.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave68
..talk about fun - a Miata with Ohlin coilovers and a supercharger - far less money than a Cayman and 99-100% as much fun.
....only 50% of the "prestige", though.
And 10% of the heritage,30% build quality. Same could be said for the Corvette vrs Asian comparison. Prestige did not enter in my buying equation.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What color and what options did you get with your car? After owning a Porsche, I doubt that you will go back to a Chevy.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Dean2144
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they get the main bearing issued corrected?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

And 10% of the heritage,30% build quality. Same could be said for the Corvette vrs Asian comparison. Prestige did not enter in my buying equation.
and 300% of the reliability. Really, the Miata is bullet-proof. You really can't say that about the Cayman, given previous issues.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Default No worries

Originally Posted by Dean2144
Could not find a lot on Planet9 forum on new Cayman 3,4s. But not to worry.It will never be oit of warranty.Not so much for the Z. I began to treat the 427 with kid gloves.Somethinf you should not have to do in a $78k performance vehicle.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Default Black Cayman

Originally Posted by alamike
What color and what options did you get with your car? After owning a Porsche, I doubt that you will go back to a Chevy.
6speed manual.Sport seats.x73 sport suspension and sport exhaust (these set the car apart from most Caymans).a"better" Bose system.no nav.Sport steering wheel.Sport Chono.Adaptive headlamps and 20" Carrera wheels. I did not order this car.It was Off the lot as is but I would have order a carbon copy in Metallic Grey and possibly the new 2015 Gets model.A lot of what's in mine is standard in the GETS.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

No question the Miata is low rent when it comes to interior. There is liberal use of plastic throughout the interior, mine is a mid-level but even in full GT trim hard plastic is used. It's similar to a C6 interior in that regard.....functional but obvious where cost savings was done.

A Cayman/911 is constantly gets high praise from the materials used and it should considering the costs of the car new.

and 300% of the reliability. Really, the Miata is bullet-proof. You really can't say that about the Cayman, given previous issues.

Large part of why I decided on an MX5 after years and worry owning a C6Z with it's heads issue.....engine could grenade at any time without warning...sapped alot of enjoyment unfortunatly. Miata is as worry free a sports car as can be bought these days.

Getting off topic though lol, QuakeJake enjoy the Cayman! It's a looker and I'm sure a joy to drive, living in the Northeast is one of the best locations to enjoy a car like that, mountain driving must be a blast
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dean2144
I think you are talking about the IMS bearing. When Porsche went to DFI engine for the flat sixes in 2009, the IMS was eliminated from the design, and the bearing and bearing issue went away

Last edited by alamike; 07-28-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM
alamike
Burning Brakes

From my experience, I never thought Mazda's were all that reliable compared to Toyota or Nissan. I owned three Mazda's from 1980 to 2004. If you look at JD Power, Porsche is higher on reliability food chain than Mazda.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
alamike
Burning Brakes

6speed manual.Sport seats.x73 sport suspension and sport exhaust (these set the car apart from most Caymans).a"better" Bose system.no nav.Sport steering wheel.Sport Chono.Adaptive headlamps and 20" Carrera wheels. I did not order this car.It was Off the lot as is but I would have order a carbon copy in Metallic Grey and possibly the new 2015 Gets model.A lot of what's in mine is standard in the GETS.
Please post some pictures and take your old car out of your avatar.

Get notified of new replies

To Cayman S 6 speed. Personal Review vrs.07 Z

Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

From my experience, I never thought Mazda's were all that reliable compared to Toyota or Nissan. I owned three Mazda's from 1980 to 2004. If you look at JD Power, Porsche is higher on reliability food chain than Mazda.
Perhaps for the entire product line things change, but a Miata is a simple car and not much goes wrong with them.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 PM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Perhaps for the entire product line things change, but a Miata is a simple car and not much goes wrong with them.
MX5 (Miata) are built with the same engines, transmissions, interior bits and pieces as the rest of Mazda line. They are as simple as the 323 or the Mazda 3. So stuff breaks. I had a MX6 that came from quality hell. To make a statement that something is 300% more reliable with no supporting data is BS.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Please post some pictures and take your old car out of your avatar.
http://s787.photobucket.com/user/qua...e%20Cayman%20S

For those that asked

Quick Reply: Cayman S 6 speed. Personal Review vrs.07 Z