Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hate to admit but....New GT-R with 600 hp coming....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by starchedup
Totally subjective. All that matters is YOU like it. To heck what people think. Personally... Not a fan. Plus I would never buy a Japanese car due to the unfair trade deficient. Our cars are taxed one heck of a lot more than we tax their cars. Plus they can ship more into our country than we can in theirs. Totally unequal. I'd rather walk than buy a Japanese car. Now someone will say..."but they build them in America". My standard answer... "But where do the profits go???" Answer... Overseas. No thank you. If America has a quality car (Ex Corvette), I'm buying it and keeping the profits here. Not a fan of "them" putting "us" to work to make "them" profits. I'm going all in on America.

Sorry... Hot topic for me
I gotcha on this 1.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
you do realize that the Z06 has more torque than an F1 car but tell me which one has the better performance.
Apple vs Oranges. Not a fair comparison. Plus F1 cars need to rebuilt after every race... Yeah...no. Can't compare those 2
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for 150 K you could buy a Z28 and a Hellcat. Both will easily take care of the Datsun.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charlie M
for 150 K you could buy a Z28 and a Hellcat. Both will easily take care of the Datsun.
That's just wrong.. LOL.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Apple vs Oranges. Not a fair comparison. Plus F1 cars need to rebuilt after every race... Yeah...no. Can't compare those 2
Okay, you want closer to home, the 458 has 398, the Stingray has 450, which one has the better performance.......yes, the 458.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Okay, you want closer to home, the 458 has 398, the Stingray has 450, which one has the better performance.......yes, the 458.
Ok so is its like this...

The 458 is an AMAZING piece of engineering. It makes over 100hp (562hp) more but more impressively, makes all its torque down LOW! 80% of its tq by 3,250 rpm! 0-60 in 3 seconds and a 1/4 mile at 11 seconds... That's astonishing. Now it BETTER for 233K. HARDLY a GTR type of engineering. Totally different leagues. So the torque argument is kind of nullified given how fast it makes its torque. USUALLY these high reving 9K rpm cars are gutless down low.

Love this package by the way! http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari...-ar161839.html

I give Ferrari A LOT of credit for making these numbers withOUT resorting to FI. The GTR.... use turbos to make up for the lack of true engineering but the nerve to charge over 100K

The C7 Stingray on the other hand is rated at 460/465 (with the exhaust package) gets to 60 at 3.9 seconds (just .9 seconds slower) and 12.2 at 117.3 mph in the quarter (little over a 1 second slower) for like 52K... YEAH Ferrari has put in the money to overcome that lower torque number.

Sure I'd buy the Ferrari all day over the C7 who wouldn't IF you had the money?? But... for 1/4 the cost, the C7 Stingray can still hold its head high.

Last edited by starchedup; 08-08-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Ok so is its like this...

The 458 is an AMAZING piece of engineering. It makes over 100hp (562hp) more but more impressively, makes all its torque down LOW! 80% of its tq by 3,250 rpm! 0-60 in 3 seconds and a 1/4 mile at 11 seconds... That's astonishing. Now it BETTER for 233K. HARDLY a GTR type of engineering. Totally different leagues. So the torque argument is kind of nullified given how fast it makes its torque. USUALLY these high reving 9K rpm cars are gutless down low.

Love this package by the way! http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari...-ar161839.html

I give Ferrari A LOT of credit for making these numbers withOUT resorting to FI. The GTR.... use turbos to make up for the lack of true engineering but the nerve to charge over 100K

The C7 Stingray on the other hand is rated at 460/465 (with the exhaust package) gets to 60 at 3.9 seconds (just .9 seconds slower) and 12.2 at 117.3 mph in the quarter (little over a 1 second slower) for like 52K... YEAH Ferrari has put in the money to overcome that lower torque number.

Sure I'd buy the Ferrari all day over the C7 who wouldn't IF you had the money?? But... for 1/4 the cost, the C7 Stingray can still hold its head high.
I'm not arguing the performance of the C7, I have one and for the money it's a no brainer, I'm just saying that while yes torque is important it's the bhp that gets you going fast.

I watched an episode of TGUK when they tested the C6Z06, one test Jeremy put it in 5th, started at 0 mph and went all the way up to 160 mph before he ran out of room. Now that's torque, I doubt any Ferraris made up until that time with a manual gearbox could do the same.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

I'm not arguing the performance of the C7, I have one and for the money it's a no brainer, I'm just saying that while yes torque is important it's the bhp that gets you going fast.

I watched an episode of TGUK when they tested the C6Z06, one test Jeremy put it in 5th, started at 0 mph and went all the way up to 160 mph before he ran out of room. Now that's torque, I doubt any Ferraris made up until that time with a manual gearbox could do the same.

Yep. I have that video download and ready to play on my Z's head unit for my unaware passengers . Best video ever for my Z even though he hates on the "leaf springs and plastic bumper". Blah blah blah... Euro elitism at work LOL

I think with comparable bhp, the C7 would win due to torque. But given how fast Ferrari makes it's torque, he Vette's bigger torque numbers isn't enough with lower bhp. Usually Vettes bet higher bhp cars due to torque cause we're so far ahead (due to is making most of our torque @4,500 rpm, that most cars can't catch up in a race to say 160mph. Ex. YouTube videos of a 550whp car walking awd Labos...

Last edited by starchedup; 08-08-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

In a straight line, GT-R wins as it will simply grip better off the line.

The new A8 auto will improve the C7Z launch, but without all-wheel drive, it wont be on par with the GT-Rs, even with less weight off the line

I think the C7Z will be SIGNIFICANTLY better handling car than the C6. That is, the driver will feel more confident to push the car to its limits. It will be an easier car to drive fast. This is where we will see the biggest improvement from the previous gen.

On the track, with two professional drivers and similar track quality tires, my guess is that the ZO6 should have enough, with its improved handling, Hp/Torque advantage, and weight advantage, to make up the time it lost off the line. That said, I would not bet money on it...those Japanese have defied the laws of physics with the R35 GT-R, and each new iteration gets better. A car that large/heavy should not be able to handle as it does...
Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The '15 GTR is so much more refined than previous years, almost like a different car. It's also a blast to drive. I don't doubt a power bump to keep tabs on the Z06/7.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM
themonk
Team Owner

YouTube videos of a 550whp car walking awd Labos...
Well........

and

you can't discount AWD.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Well........

and

you can't discount AWD.
1st off, no doubt AWD has a huge advantage on a "dig" but the YouTube videos I'm walking about were all from a 40-60 roll. Less of advantage for AWD. Usually it's the Galardo that's running the Z06.

I find it hilarious that they invite the SUPER SLOW to be embarrassed as they consistently finish DEAD LAST.

Question, why was the Z06 / ZR1 not invited to these things? Could have had a Z replace "the super slow". Just saying...

And what's up with not inviting back the 2 cars that WHOOPED the GTR's ****?

Yeah AWD is a plus in a dig but these videos are a little questionable because of the points I outlined above.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The C7 Stingray on the other hand is rated at 460/465 (with the exhaust package) gets to 60 at 3.9 seconds (just .9 seconds slower) and 12.2 at 117.3 mph in the quarter (little over a 1 second slower) for like 52K...
In private hands, bone stock Corvette C7 LT1s have already done the 1/4 mile in only 11.4 - 11.6 seconds and trapped over 120mph.
Stock 458s might have gone quicker in private hands as well of course.
I know you're likely using magazine times for both cars in order to display some form of a more apples to apples comparison but just wanted to point that out.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
In private hands, bone stock Corvette C7 LT1s have already done the 1/4 mile in only 11.4 - 11.6 seconds and trapped over 120mph.
I know you're likely using magazine times for both cars in order to display a more apples to apples comparison but just wanted to point that out.
Good point. I was using magazine times for Apples 2 Apples but your point is well taken and better supports my point
Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

dwward: Great Post!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally subjective. All that matters is YOU like it. To heck what people think. Personally... Not a fan. Plus I would never buy a Japanese car due to the unfair trade deficient. Our cars are taxed one heck of a lot more than we tax their cars. Plus they can ship more into our country than we can in theirs. Totally unequal. I'd rather walk than buy a Japanese car. Now someone will say..."but they build them in America". My standard answer... "But where do the profits go???" Answer... Overseas. No thank you. If America has a quality car (Ex Corvette), I'm buying it and keeping the profits here. Not a fan of "them" putting "us" to work to make "them" profits. I'm going all in on America.

Sorry... Hot topic for me

Really good points you make. So I take it you are not buying a Fiat Dodge these days even with 707HP?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I doubt the ZO6 will have any problem,dayum they are ugly!

Get notified of new replies

To Hate to admit but....New GT-R with 600 hp coming....

Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I know you're likely using magazine times for both cars in order to display a more apples to apples comparison but just wanted to point that out.
I hope you are kidding because I suggest that you find a friend with a 458 and go race him in your C7. It won't be close. You will be extremely disappointed from a roll or a dig or whatever. And before you say it YES the Ferrari 458 is much more expensive, but you brought it up. The new 458T or 460T will take care of the Z also. Same with the 991 Turbo S, McLaren, and Lambo. Lets not bring these into the equation. It only causes the usual lame back and forth fights over nothing.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Wow, what a cluster F this thread is. So much misinformation about the GTR
Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 AM
themonk
Team Owner

1st off, no doubt AWD has a huge advantage on a "dig" but the YouTube videos I'm walking about were all from a 40-60 roll. Less of advantage for AWD. Usually it's the Galardo that's running the Z06.

I find it hilarious that they invite the SUPER SLOW to be embarrassed as they consistently finish DEAD LAST.

Question, why was the Z06 / ZR1 not invited to these things? Could have had a Z replace "the super slow". Just saying...

And what's up with not inviting back the 2 cars that WHOOPED the GTR's ****?

Yeah AWD is a plus in a dig but these videos are a little questionable because of the points I outlined above.
I have no idea why they didn't have a ZR1 or a 911T for that matter. They claim to stage the best drag race in the world but yet they missed the mark when sending out the invite.

That's what I'm saying, AWD is awesome off the line, there is no doubting that and on a 5 mph roll where traction isn't so much of a big deal then it's a more even playing field however the GT-R still has a lot of bhp so it's no slouch there either.

I'm still eagerly waiting to see the new Z's performance numbers, I'm a little disappointed in the Callaway 427's claim of a 0-60 time of 3.4 seconds, to me that seems a bit slow considering IIRC someone posted a time slip of their stock Stingray doing the same.

Quick Reply: Hate to admit but....New GT-R with 600 hp coming....