Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Supercharged Viper?! Hurry up Chevy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 AM
nlpamg
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Viper?! Hurry up Chevy!

http://horsepowerkings.com/reports-a...update-coming/

Woah, s/c'd Viper TA?! If this comes out before the Z06, I may be tempted to jump ship...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

And if that article is correct the S/C will also will be a retrofit for existing Gen V Vipers - will probably allow you to keep your warranty too.

That's 3 cars from Dodge with over 700HP. Very impressive!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Wow
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

If this is facts this thing is going to be a monster..3350lbs with over 700hp gotta love that.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
fang
Advanced

I have been told it will never be a factory supercharged viper. It may be a supercharged package you can install from mopar performance. It sounds like it would be somewhat like the ford mustang supercharger packages they had a fee years back.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The vipers a cool ride but from a technical and practical standpoint the z06 is superior.

Long term research and development make the corvette z06 a really capable daily driver whereas the viper as cool as it is....is a wonderful weekend toy.

From recent sales figures I believe one of Porsches attributes that truly attracts customers over say a viper is the fact the research and development as well it's capability as a daily driver.

I hope the viper gets a supercharger and produces insane amounts of hp and is revered as a must have .....the more successful the viper is...the healthier corvette sales are.

No way in hell I'd choose a viper over corvette...

Jmo

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-20-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Hate to be negative but has anyone driven a Viper? They suck!! Drive like a truck with bad shocks, way too noisy, burn your leg on the damm side exhaust, very hard to see over hood. It's also Mopar which in my opinion is junk. I don't care if they put 1000 hp into this it's not worth it and it's not going to help it sell. The only saving grace is it's looks. Just my opinion
Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
fang
Advanced

Yes, I have owned a couple including a supercharged 980hp 06 coupe. I agree they certainly aren't any where near as good as a daily driver. Something dodge never cared about. The Z06's I've had are very comfortable and aside from scraping the front lip everywhere are very easy to use as a daily like a Porsche.

Some people love an aggressive Harley, some want a smooth cruiser. Different strokes for different folks. I love them both but in different ways. Where have I heard that before?

Anyway, I find the viper puts you in a state of mind unlike many others. The ride has drastically improved just like the C4 to C6. I for one will be buying one if it is available.

Last edited by fang; 08-20-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jklein7
Hate to be negative but has anyone driven a Viper? They suck!! Drive like a truck with bad shocks, way too noisy, burn your leg on the damm side exhaust, very hard to see over hood. It's also Mopar which in my opinion is junk. I don't care if they put 1000 hp into this it's not worth it and it's not going to help it sell. The only saving grace is it's looks. Just my opinion
Obviously from a person who has never driven one. Typical mag racer comments. Don't forget to add the cupholder comment. Way too noisy? Now that is funny because most Viper owners want their car to be louder. The old saying "If it's too loud, you are too old!" definitely holds true. I bet you think it doesn't handle well either. I think you need to get back to the waxing and polishing.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on reaching 90 years of age.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Viper = POS

Now move this Thread to the "other car" forum where it belongs.
Doesn't deserve to be in this elite Z06 forum.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
JJB500
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Gen 5 Viper should have came to market with 700+ HP anyway! I had a 2005 for 7 years, not a daily driver for sure but not as bad as some people make it out to be! It's suppose to be loud and raw, it was like owning a driving a 4 wheeled Harley, everytime driving it was like an event! Camera phones out everytime, negative feedback also, a few middle finger salutes..........
For me the ride quality changed night and day once I swapped out the Michelin run craps! Mine was problem free, except for my CD player which crapped out early under warrantee!
Nothing wrong with the Viper that 750 HP won't fix!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
Obviously from a person who has never driven one. Typical mag racer comments. Don't forget to add the cupholder comment. Way too noisy? Now that is funny because most Viper owners want their car to be louder. The old saying "If it's too loud, you are too old!" definitely holds true. I bet you think it doesn't handle well either. I think you need to get back to the waxing and polishing.

I'm with you on this one.

I am a car guy first! The Viper is not for everyone and neither is the Corvette...I like them both for what they are.

To me, the Viper comes to the party with a nice pair of jeans, top, great make-up and hair all done up...ready to get down, while the vette comes to the same party with a nice dress, dress shoes, matching purse and also with great make-up. Both can dance and light up the party...which one do you prefer to party all night with? Depends on your taste.

Thanks,
Carlos...the private dancer
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nlpamg
http://horsepowerkings.com/reports-a...update-coming/

Woah, s/c'd Viper TA?! If this comes out before the Z06, I may be tempted to jump ship...
I first heard this was coming a few months back so am not surprised

the reto fit will make a difference but I doubt if it will be inexpensive
Old 08-20-2014, 09:40 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JJB500
The Gen 5 Viper should have came to market with 700+ HP anyway! I had a 2005 for 7 years, not a daily driver for sure but not as bad as some people make it out to be! It's suppose to be loud and raw, it was like owning a driving a 4 wheeled Harley, everytime driving it was like an event! Camera phones out everytime, negative feedback also, a few middle finger salutes..........
For me the ride quality changed night and day once I swapped out the Michelin run craps! Mine was problem free, except for my CD player which crapped out early under warrantee!
Nothing wrong with the Viper that 750 HP won't fix!

The middle finger!! really?? either those people were jealous or FAN BOYS of other brand of cars..The Vipers are without doubt beautiful cars.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fang
Yes, I have owned a couple including a supercharged 980hp 06 coupe. I agree they certainly aren't any where near as good as a daily driver. Something dodge never cared about. The Z06's I've had are very comfortable and aside from scraping the front lip everywhere are very easy to use as a daily like a Porsche.

Some people love an aggressive Harley, some want a smooth cruiser. Different strokes for different folks. I love them both but in different ways. Where have I heard that before?

Anyway, I find the viper puts you in a state of mind unlike many others. The ride has drastically improved just like the C4 to C6. I for one will be buying one if it is available.

Exactly!! both the Vette and Viper are awesome cars but just in different ways...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
If this is facts this thing is going to be a monster..3350lbs with over 700hp gotta love that.
It will be a monster if they build it but factoring in the blower weight and all the cooling equipment there is no way it will be that light. Take a current gen 5 and add 100-150lbs and that's probably close to where it would be. Vipers are cool as hell but I'd prefer a Z06 no matter how fast the snake is or isn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged Viper?! Hurry up Chevy!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
Whoa, love my cars loud outside not inside. Not put together well at all and interior noise is hellacious.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by svtkeith
The Viper is definitely going to be heavier. It will probably weigh at least as much as the Z, around 3500 lbs or more.

I don't think SRT planned for a blower from the start so I imagine there's going to be a good bit of engineering required to make it work and satisfy cooling needs. Not to mention, they'll have to find a way to balance the weight distribution.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:45 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

This should be very interesting. I had a 700whp kenne bell supercharged GTS and it was a very fun car.

Like others' have said, the genV should have been at or near 700hp out of the box. It definitely continues the stereotype of being a widowmaker.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Viper?! Hurry up Chevy!