Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

No longer in love with the C7 Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:27 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I can totally understand what the OP is saying and maybe with base level 1 or whatever it is being called will look not so boy racer. For the track rats, hats off but for the street, the ***** out version looks ridiculous imo. The picture of the DSOM Vert floating around here was ruined with the tacky stupid large piece of plastic looking rear spoiler. And don't get me started on the front with the cheesy spats. Car is going to be an awesome performer no doubt but at the cost of looks. Sometimes less is better.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

So many great choices these days....no wrong answer.

Personally I like the c7 z06 best....

Have fun with whatever car you end up buying.

I too look forward to nov 17th.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Just noticed the red interior in the Mustang....great color, kind of what GM advertised for the C7 but missed it by a mile. Oh and the Z-28 and Mustang both look great as well. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Crushinator
It aint a Corvette? No kidding? What is it with the belief on this forum that if it doesn't have cross flags that it's not worth a damn? For Christs sake, the Corvette is not the "end all" for performance car enthusiasts. Believe it or not, there are actually people out there that prefer a Camaro, or M3 or Porsche to a Corvette anything. I've been a Corvette fan since I've been 3 years old, and I've owned 6 Corvettes. But I feel sorry for you guys that own nothing but Corvettes and think it's the only performance car worth owning.
I understand and agree with your opinion. But the average Joe that doesn't know much about cars seems to know all Corvettes have a powerful V8 engine.
But a lot of these people don't know which Camaro/Mustang has a V6 and which has a V8.
So in MY OPINION there is no questioning the performance value of a Corvette.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
How many track days do you do per year?
I used to do 10-12 track days a year but have not been to the track for over 2 years due to extenuating circumstances. Looking to get back again.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

As others, I have no issue with the OP expressing his negative opinion of the Z06 after seeing one in person. It's his choice, and it's not as if he's been polluting threads with childish comments about "spats", the "Camaro rear" or other C7 styling cues that a number of members have for the last 1-2 years.
Plus, he posted some nice pics of the Z06, Z28 and new Mustang. And his comment about the GT350 spurred me to do some digging on the release date of the GT350 (11/17/14).
Good luck in your choice OP!
S.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:44 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh boy. I'm about to get whooping and have my manly hood questioned:

I have a Z6 on order...and will take delivery. It will be the finest go-fast 2-seater I will have ever owned. BUT, the OP makes many very valid points. The Z06 exterior design could be "cleaner". It would make for a nicer car...probably! There is something to be said for some of the visual breakup the Z06 exhibits...some call it tacked on. To me. it is a bit of both.

The Z06 has my heart pumping...artificial heart valve and all! The car could be better...but it could be worse (profound statement, eh?). All in all, it wins my wallet. Other cars can surely compete. If I wasn't a bit of an American built/GM/Corvette fan, I might of ordered something else.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

The Camaro is just too enormous. If it were the size of the original 60's era Camaros, in its current form, it would be soooo much better. As is, the car, like the GT-R, is just too big and bulky.

The mustang, while it looks much better from the rear, the front looks off to me. Something not right about the front fender. The rest of the car is a huge improvement. That said, like the Camaro, it is also too big. For cost reasons, these cars are sharing platforms with larger sedans and as such, they are too big.

As for the ZO6, yes, it is a little too busy even for my taste, but it is far better looking than the Camaro and it should not be talked about in the same breath as the Camaro (talking strictly looks here...not performance...I know the Camaro can go...I just think it should go on a diet).

That said, I am still not certain I would rather have a $90k C7 Z instead of a barely used $70k C6 ZR1. The new Z is a beautiful car, but I can't help think that it could have been better looking. A "homerun" that barely left the park if you will....Nevertheless, a homerun.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 11-08-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
The Camaro is just too enormous. If it were the size of the original 60's era Camaros, in its current form, it would be soooo much better. As is, the car, like the GT-R, is just too big and bulky.

The mustang, while it looks much better from the rear, the front looks off to me. Something not right about the front fender. The rest of the car is a huge improvement. That said, like the Camaro, it is also too big. For cost reasons, these cars are sharing platforms with larger sedans and as such, they are too big.
Dude...IRL, the Z28 (and all Camaros) is just huge.
A friend of mine bought one and had it at Sebring in October. I walked up to the front straight pits to check it out. I think the rear spoiler comes up to my chest...and I'm 6'3". It just seems like such a big car in person, like the Challenger, that seems like a boat. And the tack on fender flares look pretty bad. But they apparently work very well on track. And with the only expensive consumables being those Trofeo R's, it appears to be a very good track car.
S.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Just noticed the red interior in the Mustang....great color, kind of what GM advertised for the C7 but missed it by a mile. Oh and the Z-28 and Mustang both look great as well. Can't go wrong with either.
a thousand times YES...

Why but WHY does GM continue to put betty boop lipstick red interiors in the vette?

I shake my head every time I see it.

GM: Please use a different red...last warning
Old 11-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Snorman
Dude...IRL, the Z28 (and all Camaros) is just huge.
A friend of mine bought one and had it at Sebring in October. I walked up to the front straight pits to check it out. I think the rear spoiler comes up to my chest...and I'm 6'3". It just seems like such a big car in person, like the Challenger, that seems like a boat. And the tack on fender flares look pretty bad. But they apparently work very well on track. And with the only expensive consumables being those Trofeo R's, it appears to be a very good track car.
S.
yeah...they are freaks of nature. Way too big. If they left the design the same and just shunk the hell out of it, it would look amazing...and maybe re-design the ridiculous dash
Old 11-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah...they are freaks of nature. Way too big. If they left the design the same and just shunk the hell out of it, it would look amazing...and maybe re-design the ridiculous dash
They look like an 8/7ths scale car in person. And the interior is awful except for the seats, shifter and steering wheel on the Z28.
Unfortunately, the Mustang GT gained ~200# and very negligible hp in '15, so they are getting just as bloated.
S.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Snorman
They look like an 8/7ths scale car in person. And the interior is awful except for the seats, shifter and steering wheel on the Z28.
Unfortunately, the Mustang GT gained ~200# and very negligible hp in '15, so they are getting just as bloated.
S.
I agree...

Old 11-08-2014, 11:17 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Challenger, Camaro & Mustang have way too much GIRTH to them.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:30 PM
nethomas
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't want GM to get rid of the "Betty Boop" red until after they produce my Z06. I am currently driving an Arctic White 2015 with the Adrenaline Red interior and not in my 69 years with many new cars including 5 previous vettes have I gained the attention that I do with this car with this combination of colors. Colors are soo subjective.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

a thousand times YES...

Why but WHY does GM continue to put betty boop lipstick red interiors in the vette?

I shake my head every time I see it.

GM: Please use a different red...last warning
Why Betty Boop Red, same reason for spats instead of a proper full front fender I would imagine....cost.
Probably left over material from previous years?

Last edited by sam90lx; 11-08-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:12 AM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I just got back from the Miami Car show and was originally very excited about placing an order for a 2016 C7 Z06 when the 2016 order guide is released. Now, this is in doubt because I really looked closely at the Z06 on the platform today. I can't get over the appearance that there are so many things just appear tacked on rather than being integrated into the overall design. The plastic fender extensions, the front splitter and rear spoiler, the side vents all look like afterthoughts that were just added on rather than designed in from the start. The base C7 had a cleaner look to me. The killer for me was that there were 2 cars there that really sparked more excitement. The Camaro Z28 with those monster 305 tires all around, and the new Mustang which was absolutely gorgeous.

I consider myself a car enthusiast, Corvette guy, and track addict, having owned Corvettes for 27 of the last 30 years and have never before considered buying a Ford product. I am eagerly awaiting the 11/17 release of the GT350 with its 600hp normally aspirated 5.2 liter motor and track setup. I assume it will be Ford's answer to the Camaro Z28, which just beat out the 911 Turbo S to win Motor Trend Driver's Car of the Year. Everything I read about the Z28 says it is an amazingly balanced feat of engineering, and it looked very impressive seeing it in person.

Now I'm back to square one although I think I am leaning toward the GT350 but that really depends on what it turns out to be in 9 days. All I can say is the sound bytes from the spy videos from the Nurburgring sound unbelievable. The Z06 is an incredible package for the money, but so are the other two, and the lines and aesthetics of the Mustang (GT was at the show) are light years better than ever before.

Since I won't be purchasing anything for about 9 months, I have time to really see them in person and hear owners' feedback. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the options of dual purpose street/track cars under $100K that will be readily available. And then there's the Viper sitting in the back of the room too.
How was the Miami car show? I was thinking of checking it out on Sunday. I had the same impression of the C7 Z06 when I first saw it in person, as did most of the people (current or past C6 Z06 owners) who were standing around checking it out when I was there. I honestly don't know what GM was thinking when they designed the aero add-ons, but maybe the younger generations will take to it? The C7 design is starting to grow on me so maybe the same will happen with the new Z06.

I also don't like the new 991 Porsche. That's why I bought a leftover 997.2 after the new Porsches came out. I really dislike the new interiors that look like a Panamera luxury car instead of a sports car, and how the car looks too big. But, I guess Porsche feels that their new design will attract a larger group of buyers just as GM does with their new designs.

Last edited by beden1; 11-09-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To No longer in love with the C7 Z06...

Old 11-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

While I think the Z owns all of the aforementioned cars I too think the vents, fins, and aero look tacky and "snapped on".
Old 11-09-2014, 12:54 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

what color is that Z06?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

As a current owner of a 2013 Mustang GT, I wasn't 'wowed' when I first saw a 2015 Mustang GT at the Houston car show. Nor was I 'wowed' when I saw a few on the showroom floor of the local Ford dealership.

Now as an ex-owner if a C6 coupe, I was totally blown away by the C7 compared to the C6.

Trading the Mustang GT for a 2015 Z/51.............