Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

No longer in love with the C7 Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:29 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I should have my 1LZ Z06 delivered by Dec or Jan. I do agree the aero (mainly rear spoiler) looks tacky and "snapped on". I don't get it & I understand the car needs down force. I was just hoping they spend some time to hide the hideous bolts or align wrench heads on the rear spoiler that are not needed for adjustment... I know Porsche and many Euro cars have electronic rear spoilers and wish GM could have incorporated something similar while still trying to reduce weight . I thought the 1LZ was coming with the Z51 spoiler but read it did not produce enough down force so we get the unfinished looking rear spoiler. From the Z06 GM web site it states:

Z06 Aero Package – Level One
The standard Z06 features a front splitter, spats around the front wheel openings, a unique carbon-fiber hood with a larger vent, and a rear spoiler from the Corvette Stingray’s available Z51 Performance Package.

I hope an aftermarket vendor makes a replacement that looks more finished. At least the Z07 package the alien head/bolts have a purpose but at this time I am not sure about the 1 & 2 LZ

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-09-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Why Betty Boop Red, same reason for spats instead of a proper full front fender I would imagine....cost.
Probably left over material from previous years?
According to Tadge at Sebring this year, the spats are required to sell the car in some overseas countries.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP....predictably pretty mixed responses. From "2 words....see ya" which is code for you are not one of us anymore, to some that actually contribute to your message. Same in the viper world. Folk get slammed and banned for daring to offer negative views about the G5 which as an owner, I can confirm that it is not perfect, not flawless, not great looking from every angle. It was/is my preferred choice but is it better than a C7Z??? How would I know? I doubt it.

I spent some time with my viper guru yesterday at the Dodge Dealership. I got a tour of their racing division (viper powered Challengers, 875 hp nat asp) He gave the C7Z very high marks and praise. He is vastly more knowledgeable than I about cars. If my main viper guy says the Z is a great car, that's good enough for me.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 11-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumba
According to Tadge at Sebring this year, the spats are required to sell the car in some overseas countries.
Then why don't any other production cars have spats, or why don't they just install them on cars sold in the countries where they are required, like front license plates?

At this point, I am still undecided and may still go with a C7 Z06. Having some time to make this decision will allow me to solidify my choice. My point in starting this thread was to point out that the other options available are pretty juicy and although some of you may not like them more than the Z06, seeing the cras together in person made me open my eyes. Now if this new 5.2L Ford motor is free revving and has a 7500-8000 rpm redline in addition to significant weight reduction......

Last edited by Dr Chill; 11-09-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Yeah get what turns you on. If it is not the current Z06 then perhaps when the `17 Zora mid-engine comes out you'll like it better.

1st world problems for those with the $

For me the Z06 looks absolutely stunning..... very Masculine, & Aggressive on display especially with the Black spoiler, and carbon fiber aero pieces. These pieces have to be "tacked on" in order to provide three stages of aero options for everyone's desires.

I don't like the typical styling of the mustang at all; The Camaro looks better to me but not a Corvette by any means.

Basically, the Camaro and Mustang look boxy; the Z06 sleek and modern.

Let us know what you decide to buy!

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 11-09-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Pony rider
Intermediate

Default Z06 -Z28--Mustang

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I just got back from the Miami Car show and was originally very excited about placing an order for a 2016 C7 Z06 when the 2016 order guide is released. Now, this is in doubt because I really looked closely at the Z06 on the platform today. I can't get over the appearance that there are so many things just appear tacked on rather than being integrated into the overall design. The plastic fender extensions, the front splitter and rear spoiler, the side vents all look like afterthoughts that were just added on rather than designed in from the start. The base C7 had a cleaner look to me. The killer for me was that there were 2 cars there that really sparked more excitement. The Camaro Z28 with those monster 305 tires all around, and the new Mustang which was absolutely go
I consider myself a car enthusiast, Corvette guy, and track addict, having owned Corvettes for 27 of the last 30 years and have never before considered buying a Ford product. I am eagerly awaiting the 11/17 release of the GT350 with its 600hp normally aspirated 5.2 liter motor and track setup. I assume it will be Ford's answer to the Camaro Z28, which just beat out the 911 Turbo S to win Motor Trend Driver's Car of the Year. Everything I read about the Z28 says it is an amazingly balanced feat of engineering, and it looked very impressive seeing it in person.

Now I'm back to square one although I think I am leaning toward the GT350 but that really depends on what it turns out to be in 9 days. All I can say is the sound bytes from the spy videos from the Nurburgring sound unbelievable. The Z06 is an incredible package for the money, but so are the other two, and the lines and aesthetics of the Mustang (GT was at the show) are light years better than ever before.

Since I won't be purchasing anything for about 9 months, I have time to really see them in person and hear owners' feedback. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the options of dual purpose street/track cars under $100K that will be readily available. And then there's the Viper sitting in the back of the room too.
I see where your coming from. But I've seen the mustang and I've seen the Z. And to be honest with you my opinion is that the challenger hellcat is better than both. And cheaper. The Z06 with full ground effects looks sexier, but I haven't seen it in the flesh like you have. But I can't believe that GM will disappoint us with add ons that look aftermarket . I think this car will keep evolving into something that will eventually compete with the European cars. The wing does look a little strange in today's world . I would have preferred no removable top and have down force from scoop in top or underneath the car. A good track car should have 1500lbs downforce to have quick lane changes at high speeds. Let's see how this car performs. I will track it hard . My built date on mine is Nov14-17 finish.
Let's hope this car doesn't disappoint. I can't wait .
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I don't think anybody outside of Ford knows if the GT350 (if that is even what they'll call it) will have a high-revving FPC V8. And any weight loss will just offset the ~200# the '15 gained over the outgoing S197. Unfortunately, Ford added a measly 15hp/10tq, meaning the new GT is barely as fast as the old one. Ford's history is that its higher horsepower variants are usually quite a bit heavier than the base GT (from the '03 Cobra forward). It won't surprise me to see a ~3700-3800# "GT350" with 500-550 hp, big brakes, tires, wheels, etc.. But nothing like the 662hp monster GT500's of '13/'14 (which weighed 3865#). Like many, I would love to see an Ecoboost V8, but think that's a pipe dream.
We will know on the 17th!
S.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 AM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

Fast forward to your first track day. You are in a Z28 or "fix or repair daily" haha. You get passed by a Z06. You're gonna wish you never lost that love. just sayin....
Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rtadallasvette
Fast forward to your first track day. You are in a Z28 or "fix or repair daily" haha. You get passed by a Z06. You're gonna wish you never lost that love. just sayin....
True dat.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Good post OP. I agree in that i just cant seem to love the looks of the C7 no matter how hard i try i think the splitter looks bad from the front sticking out at an angle, the rear wing looks piecemealed together. It still looks mean but that back end, while i dont hate it, turns me off. I too have liked the Z28 better and found it more appealing.

Havent heard of this GT350 but from the specs you mention it does sound very interesting. And the new mustang looks good period!

you have to realize the uptightness hear about the corvette. Some guys are not "car" guys.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Then why don't any other production cars have spats, or why don't they just install them on cars sold in the countries where they are required, like front license plates?

At this point, I am still undecided and may still go with a C7 Z06. Having some time to make this decision will allow me to solidify my choice. My point in starting this thread was to point out that the other options available are pretty juicy and although some of you may not like them more than the Z06, seeing the cras together in person made me open my eyes. Now if this new 5.2L Ford motor is free revving and has a 7500-8000 rpm redline in addition to significant weight reduction......

First time reading this thread and I agree with the OP's opinion re. the "tacked on" appearance of aero pieces when viewed on particular colour/wheel combinations.
When I first saw intro photos of the yellow Z07 Z06 (with black wheels), I LOVED IT! It looked like a track-ready tool, racy and aggressive, ready to carve up the track - a track tool reminiscent of a '10 Viper ACR.
Later, in person, I saw the silver and grey body coloured versions (still option Z07 Z06) with aluminum coloured wheels. Didn't do it for me. Now the aero pieces looked out of place, tacked on. To my eye, the selected colours (body colour and wheels) were more characteristic of a vehicle with a GT profile, less racy and aggressive. It didn't look like a track ready "race" car where aero pieces are part of the body profile for track improvement purposes.

Suggestion - make your purchase decision after seeing the Z06, in person, configured with different options, body colours, and wheel colours.
It's fantastic that GM has provided lots of options for this vehicle so the purchaser can option/personalize the vehicle to their taste/likings so the owner looks at/drives their CAR and says YES, I LOVE IT!

Last edited by Vernon; 11-09-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

there are so many things just appear tacked on rather than being integrated into the overall design. The plastic fender extensions, the front splitter and rear spoiler, the side vents all look like afterthoughts that were just added on rather than designed in from the start. The base C7 had a cleaner look to me.
Sadly, I have to agree.
To an unknowledgeable person, the Z would appear to be just a modded C7.

I am eagerly awaiting the 11/17 release of the GT350 with its 600hp normally aspirated 5.2 liter motor and track setup.
+1

I assume it will be Ford's answer to the Camaro Z28, which just beat out the 911 Turbo S to win Motor Trend Driver's Car of the Year. Everything I read about the Z28 says it is an amazingly balanced feat of engineering, and it looked very impressive seeing it in person.

Now I'm back to square one although I think I am leaning toward the GT350 but that really depends on what it turns out to be in 9 days. All I can say is the sound bytes from the spy videos from the Nurburgring sound unbelievable. The Z06 is an incredible package for the money, but so are the other two, and the lines and aesthetics of the Mustang (GT was at the show) are light years better than ever before.
Although the upcoming base Mustang is definitely an improvement of the current gen, it still doesn't inspire me to open my wallet.
OTOH, their V8 has always been music to my ears (I have a blown 4.6L in my garage).
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon
First time reading this thread and I agree with the OP's opinion re. the "tacked on" appearance of aero pieces when viewed on particular colour/wheel combinations.
When I first saw intro photos of the yellow Z07 Z06 (with black wheels), I LOVED IT! It looked like a track-ready tool, racy and aggressive, ready to carve up the track - a track tool reminiscent of a '10 Viper ACR.
Later, in person, I saw the silver and grey body coloured versions (still option Z07 Z06) with aluminum coloured wheels. Didn't do it for me. Now the aero pieces looked out of place, tacked on. To my eye, the selected colours (body colour and wheels) were more characteristic of a vehicle with a GT profile, less racy and aggressive. It didn't look like a track ready "race" car where aero pieces are part of the body profile for track improvement purposes.

Suggestion - make your purchase decision after seeing the Z06, in person, configured with different options, body colours, and wheel colours.
It's fantastic that GM has provided lots of options for this vehicle so the purchaser can option/personalize the vehicle to their taste/likings so the owner looks at/drives their CAR and says YES, I LOVE IT!
Particularly look at the black vinyl decal on the hood in person. IMO, it really cheapens the overall appearence of the car.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I really, really, really want to love the Z06 - I want an A8. I've sat in two 3LT packaged cars now and I can't get over the interior. Leaps and bounds better than the C6, but it still isn't there for me.

Maybe it will change when I can get into a Z06 and see how it feels.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:52 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

If you are ready to pull the trigger now!!! There is a Z28 in the Wallace Chev showroom in Stuart. Fl. Just saying!! All black, looks great. Been missing you as Sebring. JD
Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
ALLANB
Pro

They should offer a few more choices on the c7 z06. Red taillights should be optional not a fan of the clear ones. Bodycolored lower rear valance would also be nice option.
Putting in aftermarket carbon fiber lower valance is maybe another choice. On some color options of course the lower valance blends in better like if you get a black car.
Body color rear spoiler would be a nice option too. Don't think they offer that currently.
And not a fan of the fender spats they should offer a level zero aero. No front splitter and no spats just use c7 tire size and rim size. And see you do have some options on the finish on intake grills. Guess have to see one of these cars in person to really see how much I like them.

Not a big fan of the current Camaro styling and not a big fan of the newest mustang styling. Main problem with mustangs has always been they are so common that you really don't notice them much at all . Not saying they are not nice cars and came close to buying a GT500 a few times but no auto option stopped me from seriously considering them. I do like that now you can get z06 in manual or auto , removable roof or vert. Good of gm to give people options.

I guess another option might be to get a c7 and maybe supercharge it . You don't have the fender spats, don't have the side lower scoops don't have clear tail lights can get bodycolor spoiler ,mirrors. don't have front splitter.
Course you also don't have the wide body , bigger tires, etc.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumba
I will be at the LA Autoshow on the 21st, I will pose the question to any Reps I see there and try not to laugh.

Maybe they look ok in person but I doubt it.

Last edited by sam90lx; 11-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To No longer in love with the C7 Z06...

Old 11-09-2014, 11:40 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
I will be at the LA Autoshow on the 21st, I will pose the question to any a Reps I see there and try not to laugh.

Maybe they look ok in person but I doubt it.
I think we've finally come to a point where the safety ***** have compromised vehicle performance via adding weight that can no longer be offset by increased use of carbon fiber etc.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

LT-4.......need I say more?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
I agree the full aero pkg does look a bit to ricer to me also I will be going with the stage one pkg.
Agreed, if I was ordering a Z06 stage one would be my choice.