Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Modded C7 Z06 (661whp Mustang) vs modded Viper TA (607whp Dynojet)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Dynojet vs mustang,hhhmmm whats the difference in readings?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Slow down pal.
That certainly not been proven yet anywhere on a head to head same conditions race.
Looks like it has. See heavychevy's post.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Arctic Blastoff
Dynojet vs mustang,hhhmmm whats the difference in readings?
Useless to compare unless ran back to back on the SAME dyno. Like bathroom weight scales, they all differ.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
You guys are hoping and wishing that the TA is as fast on a road course. 2:41 - 2:49 at VIR grand. The editors are not great drivers but not 10 seconds off the pace either.

Writing is on the wall in big fat letters. But you can stay in denial until that day comes.

TA 2.0 has a chance, but that's not what we are comparing here. TA 2.0 will not be as fast in a straight line as the TA 1.0 either. And the tire argument is what it is. Unless SRT decides to put MPSC 2 on the TA 2.0 or make them an option, if/whens are not going to count.
You are also comparing the old VIR track time versus the new for the Z07 with probably the hottest shoe driver for the Z06. Who was driving the Viper? Viper - old TA, old VIR track, crappy Corsa street tires.

Yes I know Dodge doesn't offer R-Comp tires like the Z07 has, but in a real racing competition the Viper would sport better tires than the silly street Corsa's.

I predict a future head-2-head. Z07 vs TA 2.0. The Z07 will edge it out just by a hair due to the much better tires. Those in the know will realize if the Viper had the same tires it would come out ahead easily.

Both cars are amazing, good time to be a car guy!

Last edited by Callsign_Vega; 01-19-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm not saying this as to be negative - but from day one I suggested that 1.7L blower is too small for any top-end charge. It's there for 1) bottom -end snap and mid-range(maybe due to the add'tl weight) and 2) sized for possible hood clearance

It needs a 2.3 for better top-end steam
Old 01-19-2015, 11:54 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

And I'm still not rushing out to get a Viper.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
I'm not saying this as to be negative - but from day one I suggested that 1.7L blower is too small for any top-end charge. It's there for 1) bottom -end snap and mid-range(maybe due to the add'tl weight) and 2) sized for possible hood clearance

It needs a 2.3 for better top-end steam
Yup^...dynos could be 20whp difference too
Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Looks like it has. See heavychevy's post.
To properly execute a fair comparison, both cars need to be run on the same track on the same day by the same driver. Unless all of these conditions are met, the comparison is not valid
Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 AM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Useless to compare unless ran back to back on the SAME dyno. Like bathroom weight scales, they all differ.
Useless to compare track lap times unless ran back to back on the SAME track with the same driver. (Especially when the track changed between the 2 laps)

Like bathroom weight scales....
Old 01-19-2015, 11:59 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
Useless to compare track lap times unless ran back to back on the SAME track with the same driver. (Especially when the track changed between the 2 laps)

Like bathroom weight scales....
Okay, makes sense. I stand corrected. But 10 seconds is a huge disparity not matter what the intangibles are.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:00 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
You are also comparing the old VIR track time versus the new for the Z07 with probably the hottest shoe driver for the Z06. Who was driving the Viper? Viper - old TA, old VIR track, crappy Corsa street tires.

Yes I know Dodge doesn't offer R-Comp tires like the Z07 has, but in a real racing competition the Viper would sport better tires than the silly street Corsa's.

I predict a future head-2-head. Z07 vs TA 2.0. The Z07 will edge it out just by a hair due to the much better tires. Those in the know will realize if the Viper had the same tires it would come out ahead easily.

Both cars are amazing, good time to be a car guy!
No I'm not. The TA was tested in 2014 vs the Nismo GT-R, which it lost to, and the Camaro Z28 which it barely beat, same day as the 918 ran 2:43 with mag drivers. Lightning lap 2014, check it out.....

The corsas were less than 3 seconds slower than Pirelli slicks at Laguna on the same day on the same car. They are not chopped liver. It's a small gap considering these Corsas were specifically designed for the Viper. Sure Trofeo may be better, or MPSC, but at the end of the day, if those tires do not come equipped, it's not factory.

FYI - Corsas are R-compound tires.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

No I'm not. The TA was tested in 2014 vs the Nismo GT-R, which it lost to, and the Camaro Z28 which it barely beat, same day as the 918 ran 2:43 with mag drivers. Lightning lap 2014, check it out.....

The corsas were less than 3 seconds slower than Pirelli slicks at Laguna on the same day on the same car. They are not chopped liver. It's a small gap considering these Corsas were specifically designed for the Viper. Sure Trofeo may be better, or MPSC, but at the end of the day, if those tires do not come equipped, it's not factory.

There you go. Owned. Thanks for having my back heavychevy. :-)
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

That seals it. The Z06 lost by 3/4 of a car length. No way I would buy one of those. The car is a utter and complete failure. LOL.

I will have to say, the Vipers run like SOBs!

So, although it has yet to be verified, if you want to go fast in a straight line, the Viper is your car. All indications are that the Vette will win the twisties - as the earlier poster said.

Good rivalry here though!! Improves the breed.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Magazine driver that tests Honda Accords vs Mero lol? It's the 918 all over again. Most magazine drivers go "OMG its a Viper I'm so scared!". I look forward to the actual tests with a pro driver.

But yes the Z07 is a beast and will be hard to beat. Well, until it heat soaks. JK
Old 01-19-2015, 12:08 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Magazine driver vs Mero? It's the 918 all over again. Most magazine drivers go "OMG its a Viper I'm so scared!". I look forward to the actual tests with a pro driver.

But yes the Z07 is a beast and will be hard to beat. Well, until it heat soaks. JK
Imagine the times if Mero lost 50lbs.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:09 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

the bench racers are running to this thread quickly i see
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by harlold
the bench racers are running to this thread quickly i see
Heavychevy is NOT a bench racer.

Get notified of new replies

To Modded C7 Z06 (661whp Mustang) vs modded Viper TA (607whp Dynojet)

Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is everyone talking laptimes when this a roll race post?
This is becoming a "my dad can kick your dad's ***" forum. I used to love it here but now everyone is bitter and pissed, while others ignore the issues, which GM should be scrambling to fix. Do the math on the Ring times?? That's like say go ***** yourself as far as I'm concerned. I'm ashamed of GM right now and I've had 3 Z06s.

Another observation is that the new Z seems to lose the same way other cars used to lose to the C6 Z06. It would take 150hp more in another car to win, which seems like the case here but it's the Viper instead.

Bring the C7Z and TA 2.0 to Laguna Seca and give Randy Pobst the keys and see what's up. Like they did the ZR1 and Viper a few years back. Until then it's pointless.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
And I'm still not rushing out to get a Viper.
LOl from the guy who trolled the Viper VCA site for months how he was getting a new Viper when he wasn't trolling the Lambo site.
Need links to remind you let me know.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

There you go. Owned. Thanks for having my back heavychevy. :-)
Just stating the facts.

Magazine driver that tests Honda Accords vs Mero lol? It's the 918 all over again. Most magazine drivers go "OMG its a Viper I'm so scared!". I look forward to the actual tests with a pro driver.

The absolute most the mag drivers have been slower than Mero or other factory driver in the same cars is 5.2 seconds.

That still leaves over 3 seconds for the Viper to make up.

Remember Ralph called Randy scared of Vipers too, but SRT didn't offer up anyone else to drive the car. The TA still hasn't beaten the ZR1 in a same day track test. Took a private test day to barely eek out the ZR1 at Laguna. In my book, that's slower given mag drivers only get a few laps, and Randy with more laps and a race team supporting the ZR1 would have been faster too.

It's bench racing no doubt, but educated bench racing.

Quick Reply: Modded C7 Z06 (661whp Mustang) vs modded Viper TA (607whp Dynojet)