Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Expanding collection to include 10-20yo SUV. Suggestions?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Expanding collection to include 10-20yo SUV. Suggestions?

Hi everyone.

Great news!! After years of no space we are finally moving to a larger property so I can expand my collection! Unfortunately the new place has only a double garage (for now) but a TON of driveway space plus a large carport. My auto wish list has only ever included luxury and sports cars but given my situation I'm thinking of expanding the collection to my first truck!

A pickup isn't really my thing... not much of a handyman and I never haul anything. But I have a big family! So at first I was thinking of getting a nice full-size travel van for family trips. They are cool and cheap but my wife absolutely hates them and I find the interiors on the conversion vans are either hideous or falling apart when they get older.

So now (actually based on advice of an earlier post here) I'm thinking of getting a "semi-collectible" 4x4 SUV. It would be fun for the whole family, serve as kind of a winter hobby car when the Caddy and Vette are stored, and with any luck I might snag a future collectible that would at least keep its value.

I like big V8 vehicles. Short list is Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban, Navigator, or maybe a Jeep Commander. I would be willing to spend $10K-$15K for a prime example. The GMs are my favorites but it seems nearly impossible to find one that old that does not have hundreds of thousands of miles. They are usually driven hard and not enthusiast owned. For whatever reason some people seem to take better care of their Jeeps.

I have never looked closely at trucks before. What would you recommend in this category? What are the most desirable years? And what options, engines, etc. would make an SUV more collectible?

Thanks for reading my long post!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I've personally always liked the Z71 Suburban (recently sold a Tahoe Z71 with 203k miles) which looked new.

Since I like to tow and go fast, I'd always considered finding one of these...

The 2006 Suburban LTZ: Basically a Denali without all the bling.

[img]http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/... /> [/img]

Last edited by Closer_2001; 05-04-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Unless you buy an H1, Typhoon, Defender 90 or 110 you're not going to be getting into anything collectible for the past 20 years. The production numbers are too high to support collectibility.

Some SUV's that are likely to hold their value better than average because of some unique factors:
Jeep 5.9 Limited
Jeep SRT8
X5 3.0 with a manual trans
Cayenne V6 with a manual trans
Cayenne GTS manual (out of price range)
Touareg V10 TDI (out of price range)
Dodge Viper truck extended cab (out of price range)
Legacy GT wagon/Outback 2.5XT with manual (wagon)
E55 wagon (wagon)
H3 with manual
H3 SUT
Isuzu Vehicross
Old 05-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 2 two Door Tahoe 4x4 all were Z71's but had no Z71 badges.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by White Out
Unless you buy an H1, Typhoon, Defender 90 or 110 you're not going to be getting into anything collectible for the past 20 years. The production numbers are too high to support collectibility.

Some SUV's that are likely to hold their value better than average because of some unique factors:
Jeep 5.9 Limited
Jeep SRT8
X5 3.0 with a manual trans
Cayenne V6 with a manual trans
Cayenne GTS manual (out of price range)
Touareg V10 TDI (out of price range)
Dodge Viper truck extended cab (out of price range)
Legacy GT wagon/Outback 2.5XT with manual (wagon)
E55 wagon (wagon)
H3 with manual
H3 SUT
Isuzu Vehicross
The 2008 and especially 2009 Hummer H2's are holding value very well for lower mileage, clean vehicles. The revised interior, update to the 6.2L/6 speed trans and low production numbers (just over 6,000 units for 2008 and only 600 units for 2009) really help to keep the values up. These are still out of the OP's stated price range.

OP...... Honestly with what you want to spend ($10-15K) you are going to be looking at an older, high mileage example. If you were to push your price range up to the $20K mark, I would bet you would be finding a much better selection.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:30 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Thanks guys. I dig the list of future collectible SUVs. But am really looking more for something cheaper and easier that the whole family could enjoy and even use in winter. Not necessarily looking to cash in big on a future collectible but it's always fun to keep something for years and get most of your money back!

The Tahoes/Yukons are awesome especially the 2-doors but whenever I search there is nothing with low mileage, even in the $20K range. The enthusiast owned ones are usually heavily modified and that doesn't interest me. I like stock. Maybe I have to just keep looking and move fast? Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Check this out a company in NC is already restoring them. A sign of future collectability?

http://www.restoridesnc.com/96%20yukon.htm
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 AM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

An old Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

All wheel drive for winter, fun, and very collectible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Typhoon-Base-Sport-Utility-2-Door-/111660783085?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19ff8055ed&item=111660783085
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

with this type of vehicle...I would shoot for max function...meaning I would take a look at a Suburban or Yukon xl...and get it in the 2500 w the 6.0 engine. You can take plenty of people and gear ....and be able to tow if needed. You won't be unhappy with plenty of space and towing ability....you will be sad if you go too small.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:32 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Hi guys thanks for all the advice. I have been searching around and wanted to revive the thread.

What are your opinions on V10 Excursions? It seems much easier to find a low-mileage, enthusiast-owned Excursion vs. a Suburban, Yukon, or Tahoe. There are lots of nice ones under $10K.

I never thought of them much but they are pretty cool. Of course the fuel costs would be insane but I'm just looking for a hobby vehicle so no big deal. Why do you suppose they are so much easier to find vs. the GMs?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Fuel consumption, for one.

But don't kid yourself; a 6000 lb vehicle will never be "fun for the whole family". If you want something that is fun, get something that meets your needs but is as light as possible. Think of it this way:

Subaru WRX = lots of fun
.Ford Excursion: Nada/zippo/nothing in the fun department
Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Hi everyone.

Great news!! After years of no space we are finally moving to a larger property so I can expand my collection! Unfortunately the new place has only a double garage (for now) but a TON of driveway space plus a large carport. My auto wish list has only ever included luxury and sports cars but given my situation I'm thinking of expanding the collection to my first truck!

A pickup isn't really my thing... not much of a handyman and I never haul anything. But I have a big family! So at first I was thinking of getting a nice full-size travel van for family trips. They are cool and cheap but my wife absolutely hates them and I find the interiors on the conversion vans are either hideous or falling apart when they get older.

So now (actually based on advice of an earlier post here) I'm thinking of getting a "semi-collectible" 4x4 SUV. It would be fun for the whole family, serve as kind of a winter hobby car when the Caddy and Vette are stored, and with any luck I might snag a future collectible that would at least keep its value.

I like big V8 vehicles. Short list is Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban, Navigator, or maybe a Jeep Commander. I would be willing to spend $10K-$15K for a prime example. The GMs are my favorites but it seems nearly impossible to find one that old that does not have hundreds of thousands of miles. They are usually driven hard and not enthusiast owned. For whatever reason some people seem to take better care of their Jeeps.

I have never looked closely at trucks before. What would you recommend in this category? What are the most desirable years? And what options, engines, etc. would make an SUV more collectible?

Thanks for reading my long post!
Originally Posted by Dave68
Fuel consumption, for one.

But don't kid yourself; a 6000 lb vehicle will never be "fun for the whole family". If you want something that is fun, get something that meets your needs but is as light as possible. Think of it this way:

Subaru WRX = lots of fun
.Ford Excursion: Nada/zippo/nothing in the fun department
Hahahahaha...... What a typical, cliché Dave68 thread reply

Please read what the OP posted Dave....... I highlighted it in bold print for you to read. He is asking for SUV suggestions and you tell him to buy a WRX???? What are you drinking and/or smoking?? A good friend of mine has a WRX STi (its a 2011 or 2012 wagon/hatchback body style). Three of us took a weekend trip snowboarding in that thing and were shoe horned between three adults and gear, it's also loud, spartan from an interior standpoint and rides like a sports car. Not exactly all of the accolades you want for a family road trip vehicle.

When you plan to do some trim work on your home and a neighbor who happens to be a carpenter suggests a good compound miter saw..... you would be the guy who instead goes out and buys a toaster oven???
Old 05-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Hahahahaha...... What a typical, cliché Dave68 thread reply

Please read what the OP posted Dave....... I highlighted it in bold print for you to read. He is asking for SUV suggestions and you tell him to buy a WRX???? What are you drinking and/or smoking?? A good friend of mine has a WRX STi (its a 2011 or 2012 wagon/hatchback body style). Three of us took a weekend trip snowboarding in that thing and were shoe horned between three adults and gear, it's also loud, spartan from an interior standpoint and rides like a sports car. Not exactly all of the accolades you want for a family road trip vehicle.

When you plan to do some trim work on your home and a neighbor who happens to be a carpenter suggests a good compound miter saw..... you would be the guy who instead goes out and buys a toaster oven???
Believe me, many a family sees themselves as "big" when there are 2 kids and 2 adults. Heck, most couples around here buy an 8-passenger van as soon as they have 1 kid.

Certainly, if the OP has 6 kids, then larger vehicles are better choices, but don't forget, the Toyota Sienna comes with all wheel drive as an option........
Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave68
Believe me, many a family sees themselves as "big" when there are 2 kids and 2 adults. Heck, most couples around here buy an 8-passenger van as soon as they have 1 kid.

Certainly, if the OP has 6 kids, then larger vehicles are better choices, but don't forget, the Toyota Sienna comes with all wheel drive as an option........
A Toyota Sienna is a far cry from a WRX!!!! Again, in typical Dave68 fashion you are all over the board.

Regardless of what you think Dave, there are many people who need/use large SUV's regularly and don't have 6 children. My wife and I (who were without child until a month ago) have owned a large SUV since we have been together. I own investment property so I haul around materials, I have an enclosed trailer I pull, I shoot competitively which includes various rifle matches, 3 gun matches, etc...., we snowboard/ski and now with a baby we are going to be hauling more stuff. I can tell you there is no way in hell I would get by only owning a car the size of my Audi S4. While it's not a large car, it's certainly not tiny.

I don't understand how you cannot fathom that just because you don't see the use for something that others do??

You must be a liberal...... if a liberal doesn't like guns they believe they should be banned for all people. You think because you don't have a use for a large SUV that nobody does. It's honestly quite laughable
Old 05-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Well that's where "particulars" come in handy. How would I know (specifically) what the vehicle's uses will be unless the OP includes that information? You assume he hauls a boat or regularly packs building supplies at Home Depot.
Most people do stuff like that so infrequently that renting a truck is much more economical.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 AM
monstrocity
Pro

Thanks for the responses and inputs dudes. I think I will consider this thread official highjacked now... but that's the nature of forums haha!

Still interested in learning more about Excursions vs. Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon but will likely start a new thread somewhere.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Thanks for the responses and inputs dudes. I think I will consider this thread official highjacked now... but that's the nature of forums haha!

Still interested in learning more about Excursions vs. Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon but will likely start a new thread somewhere.
Have you ever thought of an Expedition?

IMHO the late generation Expedition and Explorer (06 - 10) are highly under-appreciated. I'm a huge fan of chassis rigidity and strength, and ever since getting their own dedicated frames (instead of sharing with F150/Ranger), the two Fords have made huge improvements in this area.

The Explore is 440% stiffer (not typo!) compared to the Ranger years, and the Expedition is also much stiffer than the first gen. This allows them to run fairly stiff springs and dampers and still maintain good ride, but with higher payload and better handling.

They also have a poor man's version of Land Rover's traction control system, that can divert power to the side with traction. None of these large SUVs are that good, but I've surprised quite a few with my Explorer.

Get notified of new replies

To Expanding collection to include 10-20yo SUV. Suggestions?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,872 Posts

I noticed you're a C4 owner......

Rent a 15-passenger church van for your "big family."
Old 06-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I noticed you're a C4 owner......

Rent a 15-passenger church van for your "big family."
OP, ignore him. He's just jealous because his family disowned him and he has no friends, so even a 2-seater is overkill.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:13 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Originally Posted by oicw
Have you ever thought of an Expedition?

IMHO the late generation Expedition and Explorer (06 - 10) are highly under-appreciated. I'm a huge fan of chassis rigidity and strength, and ever since getting their own dedicated frames (instead of sharing with F150/Ranger), the two Fords have made huge improvements in this area.

The Explore is 440% stiffer (not typo!) compared to the Ranger years, and the Expedition is also much stiffer than the first gen. This allows them to run fairly stiff springs and dampers and still maintain good ride, but with higher payload and better handling.

They also have a poor man's version of Land Rover's traction control system, that can divert power to the side with traction. None of these large SUVs are that good, but I've surprised quite a few with my Explorer.
This is a great response. Much appreciated and I want to look into it. I am a little confused by what you mean by 06-10 generation when it comes to Expeditions.

Which do you think is under-appreciated? Are you referring to Gen 2 (U222, 2002-2006) or the current Gen 3 (U324, 2006-present)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Expanding collection to include 10-20yo SUV. Suggestions?