Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Viper to die in 2017

Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Default Viper to die in 2017

According to a story posted online at MotorAuthority today......they are saying with the new UAW contract ratification completed it over...I copied and pasted below the part pertaining to this story from their website.....

"As Allpar first noted, there is a small section in the 250-page agreement that relates to future production at the Conner Avenue Assembly plant in Detroit, which is responsible for the Dodge Viper supercar. The agreement, which you can access here, states that production of the current Viper at the plant will end in 2017 and that a successor is yet to be confirmed.

The Viper is probably ending production because it has seen very few sales. Only 760 were sold last year and this year looks no better. This may explain why we haven’t seen significant upgrades to the Viper’s hardware. It's a wise business decision not to put resources into a dying product."
Old 10-24-2015, 03:37 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

It is always sad to lose an American icon....
Old 10-24-2015, 03:38 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Gen IV ACR is the one to own in my book.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:48 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

i was reading about this last week.

I think the viper is such a cool car. I don't understand why so many people don't buy them.

sexy, fast, and rare car.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Keep in mind FCA owns Ferrari, which also went public just this week. FCA raked in a bundle it said it will use to pay off debts and reorganize. With Ferrari in the loop, I can foresee an Audi/Lambo type relationship being possible. Ferrari develops a base platform that sells in the states to compete with the FordGT and the mid engine Corvette. A new era of American supercars could well be upon us. Turbo'd, small displacement, composite, mid-engine killers for cheap!!!
Old 10-24-2015, 04:40 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Keep in mind FCA owns Ferrari, which also went public just this week. FCA raked in a bundle it said it will use to pay off debts and reorganize. With Ferrari in the loop, I can foresee an Audi/Lambo type relationship being possible. Ferrari develops a base platform that sells in the states to compete with the FordGT and the mid engine Corvette. A new era of American supercars could well be upon us. Turbo'd, small displacement, composite, mid-engine killers for cheap!!!
i'll believe cheap when i see it! the price of the new ford gt is rumored to be around $400,000.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

isn't the price of a new viper $100k or more?
Old 10-24-2015, 05:30 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
isn't the price of a new viper $100k or more?
No, in the 80's.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

The viper has taken a break between generations 3-4 and 4-5. This gen will end up being 5 years long which is still in line with older gens. I would expect a new model in 2019. The car is too iconic for Dodge to get rid of.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:23 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

That sucks that the Viper will die off soon. When the Ford GT is done being produced (it'll probably only be produced for 2-3 years), whatever Corvette halo car is around will be the last American super car left. I've always preferred Corvettes over Vipers, but the Viper has always had a place in my heart. It'll be a sad day when the last Viper comes out of the assembly plant.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:58 AM
C5ZDreamCar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember when we all thought the viper was going away in 2011 with the final edition? History might repeat itself
Old 10-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
i was reading about this last week.

I think the viper is such a cool car. I don't understand why so many people don't buy them.

sexy, fast, and rare car.
This is why. No support for the man spending that much on a car. I was getting my Jeep serviced and a Viper owner was there dropping off the car and they had no rental or loaner for him. He was treated same as the guy who bought a used car. SRT needs their own showroom, and like all specialty cars the people are spending more and they should be treated and leave feeling that way. Go to MB dealer whether you spent $40k or $150k your treated fantastic. Buy a AMG and get your own rep.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:44 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
This is why. No support for the man spending that much on a car. I was getting my Jeep serviced and a Viper owner was there dropping off the car and they had no rental or loaner for him. He was treated same as the guy who bought a used car. SRT needs their own showroom, and like all specialty cars the people are spending more and they should be treated and leave feeling that way. Go to MB dealer whether you spent $40k or $150k your treated fantastic. Buy a AMG and get your own rep.
Good point....
Old 10-26-2015, 12:08 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Viper owner here, and def a good point
Old 10-26-2015, 12:17 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Agree 100000%........ While American cars are getting much better in terms of quality the dealership experience is still lacking big time!!!! When I take my Audi in for service they treat you like you are the last customer in the world. When my nearly $70K Hummer was in for service I would wait around for enterprise to pick me up, stand in line for 15-20 minutes then got put in something that was definitely not a "comparable" vehicle. It seemed like I was always back a second or third time for the same issue as well. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment as I just bought a brand new Yukon Denali to replace my H2. Super pleased with the new truck as the quality of materials/fit/finish is really nice but I'm hoping my issues are far/few as I'm not looking forward to dealing with the dealership for service.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:58 PM
tmarko
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Page Coverage

It's never a good thing to see an American sports car go belly up, even if it is the competition. Here's my front page take on it...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...er-production/
Old 10-26-2015, 03:29 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Agree 100000%........ While American cars are getting much better in terms of quality the dealership experience is still lacking big time!!!! When I take my Audi in for service they treat you like you are the last customer in the world. When my nearly $70K Hummer was in for service I would wait around for enterprise to pick me up, stand in line for 15-20 minutes then got put in something that was definitely not a "comparable" vehicle. It seemed like I was always back a second or third time for the same issue as well. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment as I just bought a brand new Yukon Denali to replace my H2. Super pleased with the new truck as the quality of materials/fit/finish is really nice but I'm hoping my issues are far/few as I'm not looking forward to dealing with the dealership for service.

I use to hate taking my CTS-V in for service and getting a low-end Chevy sedan as a free loaner from the dealer. I occasionally would get a CTS, but never a V!!

It sucks that Viper owners aren't treated any different at the dealers. How are Vette owners treated when they bring in their Vettes? I've never brought my C5 to a dealer and I don't have a C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper to die in 2017

Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Big Viper fan here and I strongly considered getting a stripper SRT, but just couldn't make it work when I saw that it was an even tighter fit than my C7. Sorry to see it go. Excellent, excellent car. I loved watching/hearing them in the Tudor *ahem* Weathertech Series and it's a damn shame to see this happen.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 PM
smilence
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69

I use to hate taking my CTS-V in for service and getting a low-end Chevy sedan as a free loaner from the dealer. I occasionally would get a CTS, but never a V!!

It sucks that Viper owners aren't treated any different at the dealers. How are Vette owners treated when they bring in their Vettes? I've never brought my C5 to a dealer and I don't have a C7.
Nothing different. Most of the time, I get a malibu base, and last time I got a Sonic, with maybe 100 hp, manual seat, manual window, or even the adjustment for wing mirrors is manual. Well it gives me a different driving experience.

But I have to admit dealer service are better nowadays, especially if you complain to GM customer service.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM
smilence
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's just the compromise, say C7 z51 compared to Porsche Cayman GTS, you get more hp, much more torque, better tire, much cheaper parts if you gonna replace, better flexibility if you do modification, and OTD should be a bit cheaper as well. But, worse reliability, a bit less refinement for interior, less track-ready(overheating issue) etc well worse customer service has less impact on me, though I do take my car to dealer quite often for small issues here and there.

(I do find two advantages of C7 over almost all other production sports cars though: performance data recorder, and HUD. I can't live without them.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Viper to die in 2017