Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

"Most Fun" for < ~$35K - Daily Driver

Old 12-23-2015, 06:13 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default "Most Fun" for < ~$35K - Daily Driver

Originally Posted by eriknorcal
4 door:

2016 WRX(non sti)

I've been hearing the powerplant in the regular WRX is far superior to the dated 2.5 in the STI, super early boost and MPGs are 30% better. With a tune it's STI power. I'm looking pretty hard at one

But you can't go wrong with the Miata or the Cayman. I've heard nothing but good things from the newer Porsches.
Ppicked one up (wrx) about a month ago; a few things needed to take the rough edges off but even stock., thing is a hoot. Don't miss the 2013 Mustang GT it replaced at all. Very nimble.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 12-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:17 PM
eriknorcal
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Ppicked one up (wrx) about a month ago; a few things needed to take the rough edges off but even stock., thing is a hoot. Don't miss the 2013 Mustang GT it replaced at all. Very nimble.
Good to know!! I think I'm gonna go kill time and check one out tomorrow.. DDing my Z at the moment, not complaining BUT can't put my chocolate lab in the vette

Last edited by eriknorcal; 12-23-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by eriknorcal
Good to know!! I think I'm gonna go kill time and check one out tomorrow.. DDing my Z at the moment, not complaining BUT can't put my chocolate lab in the vette
3200 miles on WRX now, coming from a 2013 Mustang GT...a few thoughts:

1. Paint is positively, uh, 'fragile'; just look at it the wrong way and it swirls. Yep, black...but Mustang paint was much more durable, resistant (black). Our Corvette paint is somewhere in the middle (black). WRX is definitely gonna need some paint correction after the winter, followed by a more durable sealant than Zaino; likely one of the more advanced ceramics.

2. Base stereo really blows; drove a car once for 250K miles w no radio so that doesn't much bother me.

3. Shifter is horrible; long throws, wide gates, tall lever. Reminds me of my Dad's 1982 Dodge Omni. Update: $75 in Perrin shifter stop/bushing helped tremendously. Really like where it's at now, for some reason shifter handle 'seems' shorter although I know it isn't. Likely won't pursue a STS solution outside of these items.

4. Big, big flatspot in powerband at 4k-5k rpm. Overall power curve takes a bit of getting used to; very touchy and non linear throttle mapping. Tune will smooth that out somewhat but not sure I wanna go that route. MAPerformance seems to be having good results with one of their OTS maps, smoothing out boost and powerband. Time will tell

That said , no regrets. Wrx is just a hoot to toss around...look forward to it each day, something I no longer felt with mustang. Guess it was time for something completely different.

Really fun stuff...just different.

Also interesting to dip a toe into the tuner world, something I kinda looked at with some skepticism previously ('ricer' stereotype and all that)...really no different than V8 world, just different mods, different names...but still full of real enthusiasts who are really into their cars. And generally younger than my creaky, old self. As an aside, Subaru/import enthusiasts in general seem *far* more knowledgeable about the technological specifics of their cars as compared to Corvette ("What's the best wax..." or "What's the most comfortable 'Corvette-logo' hat?") or Mustang guys. Maybe becuase there's more tech in 'imports'? I dunno...just something I noticed.

Oh yeah, folks must ding these things at a bit higher rate than Mustangs as insurance was a bit more for WRX.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you can find one check out the new 2.0 liter MINI Cooper JCW Hardtop. The new F56 body cars are very nice.
Focus ST would be a nice choice and I have a 2016 Focus RS on order, but that is a bit higher than $35grand and won't be available until the Spring.
Or perhaps a used Audi S4?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:28 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
2014+ Camaro 1LE SS. If not that, then a 2016 Camaro SS (new body).

Perfect daily drivers, very reliable, very track capable.
I agree! Especially since the 2016 is out, you should be able to find a good deal (although the 2016 is for sure a much better car).
Old 12-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I love my Mazdaspeed6. I have owned a Miata & am shopping for another. It was one of the best cars I have owned to date. LOTS of fun to drive. My vote is new Miata. Love the look of the ND.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Honda S2000 is too good to ignore in my opinion. You can get a SOLID AP2 or even a CR if you choose. The reliability is dead *****, the car is tons of fun to drive, not matter what else is in your garage. Another option is an NSX. Those cars are going up and time is running out to buy them at a price under 35k. Those cars handle amazingly well, have a timeless/iconic design, are all aluminum (so no corrosion) and they are as reliable as any Honda out there. They're the "exotic" you put 200k on without worry.

To me, those two cars compliment the others you have and give you options. Now...this is assuming you're talking cash...if you're talkin finance then the NSX is out, but a newer S2k would be on my list.

Only other car I say to consider is maybe an Mcoupe...heck of a car...but you go german you're talking maintenance cost to maintain value...all there is to it.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 AM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Something else you may want to consider is a 2008-2010 Cobalt SS (turbo). Seems like they're hit or miss, but mine has given me almost zero problems in over three years. It held the 'ring record for production FWD cars until it was beaten by (I think) a British car. I got the factory turbo/ECM upgrade that bumps it to 280 hp/320 ft-lbs. It weighs in around 3000 lbs, manual, a lot to love. My only qualm is the torque steer from time to time, but other than that it's surprisingly quick and eats curves. It's one of those cars that will drop jaws because no one thinks it can do what you just did. Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Really depends what you consider "fun to drive" .... Do you prefer a lightweight, good handling car or do you want more torque and something faster in a straight line?

If power isn't that important to you, I would go with a Cayman. I was considering purchasing one and loved everything about it except for the lack of power. If you want the V8 grunt, the LS3 Vette would be a good choice. It will be much more daily capable than the Viper and you still get the power and torque.

Last edited by ck9887; 12-29-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:12 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Honda S2000 is too good to ignore in my opinion. You can get a SOLID AP2 or even a CR if you choose. The reliability is dead *****, the car is tons of fun to drive, not matter what else is in your garage. Another option is an NSX. Those cars are going up and time is running out to buy them at a price under 35k. Those cars handle amazingly well, have a timeless/iconic design, are all aluminum (so no corrosion) and they are as reliable as any Honda out there. They're the "exotic" you put 200k on without worry.

To me, those two cars compliment the others you have and give you options. Now...this is assuming you're talking cash...if you're talkin finance then the NSX is out, but a newer S2k would be on my list.

Only other car I say to consider is maybe an Mcoupe...heck of a car...but you go german you're talking maintenance cost to maintain value...all there is to it.

Forgot about the S2K
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The Chevy ss has some crazy deals on it if you need four doors.

I'd splurge the extra 3 grand for a 2016 1ss camaro for 37...if you need a 2 plus two..

For a little convertible under 35 grand? I'd go with an 09 or later boxster s and if you want a 2 seater coupe a cayman s...

Of course my favorite 2 seater under 25 grand is an ls3 c6.

I'm driving mine since new and use it as a daily driver now with 94k miles and all I do is gas, oil and tires....

At 50k miles for kicks I did the spark plugs and wires along with Bilstein sport shocks and slotted rotors and pads...just because I didn't want to wait for the 100k mile mark...

Cars been perfect, looks brand new is garaged and worth about 19 grand if I was lucky...

I see this car going another 100k miles easy...

I want a new z06 but this car is so quick, so well mannered and so reliable I can't bring myself to sell it for 19 grand....lol

Get a c6 z51 with npp...throw in the HUD...and a dsv d shaped leather steering wheel. Rebuild the seat for 40 dollars to give it nicer seats...

It's the one weird thing that the springs cut the foam so the forty dollar rebuild makes it feel like a new seat for no money.

The roof off motoring with the targa off is awesome, the car still gets thumbs up every where I go....and I get 27 mpg on the highway...18 average with a lot of I town driving...

Short throw shifter mgw and cow booster throttle mapping...the cars awesome.

I just test drove the jaguar f type and it's just a luxury Sedna wrapped in a really beautiful 2 seat convertible body...very boring to drive...and I test drove a 2013 boxster s with PDK and sport chrono and it was tempting at 50 large with 12 k miles..(MSRP was 83) and it was certified...thought about it but it was more fun to jump in my vette and drive off..

I would only recommend a 2009 cayman s and forget the 2012 model. They are the same car and most are barely driven...save the coin and just get the 09 to avoid the earlier IMS nonsense even though it's only 6 percent of production...who needs the hassle..the steering feel and mid engine turn in are good as is the PDK and sport chrono package...

Jmo

Good luck...

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-04-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I see several 2006 Lotus Elise on Autotrader at about $35,000. They are often low mileage because the Elise is very close to being a street-legal race car.

The Elise has about 190 HP and weighs about 2000 pounds. It has a massive rectangular tube (extrusions) aluminum chassis. It is a short wheelbase car and a two-seat car.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Lo...e-Image-01.jpg

Want a new Elise ? Take a look at the Alfa Romeo 4C instead and that's about $65,000

Last edited by B Stead; 01-04-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

2012/2013 Boss 302 mustang.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Leon.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with the Miata or C5 z06, but if you want to be a bit adventurous, the E39 M5 is a good choice provided you can find a clean example. To date the best sports sedan ever made.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

09 narrow body C6 - You'll have extra cash for mods
Old 01-08-2016, 12:00 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you VERY MUCH!

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The Chevy ss has some crazy deals on it if you need four doors.

I'd splurge the extra 3 grand for a 2016 1ss camaro for 37...if you need a 2 plus two..

For a little convertible under 35 grand? I'd go with an 09 or later boxster s and if you want a 2 seater coupe a cayman s...

Of course my favorite 2 seater under 25 grand is an ls3 c6.

I'm driving mine since new and use it as a daily driver now with 94k miles and all I do is gas, oil and tires....

At 50k miles for kicks I did the spark plugs and wires along with Bilstein sport shocks and slotted rotors and pads...just because I didn't want to wait for the 100k mile mark...

Cars been perfect, looks brand new is garaged and worth about 19 grand if I was lucky...

I see this car going another 100k miles easy...

I want a new z06 but this car is so quick, so well mannered and so reliable I can't bring myself to sell it for 19 grand....lol

Get a c6 z51 with npp...throw in the HUD...and a dsv d shaped leather steering wheel. Rebuild the seat for 40 dollars to give it nicer seats...

It's the one weird thing that the springs cut the foam so the forty dollar rebuild makes it feel like a new seat for no money.

The roof off motoring with the targa off is awesome, the car still gets thumbs up every where I go....and I get 27 mpg on the highway...18 average with a lot of I town driving...

Short throw shifter mgw and cow booster throttle mapping...the cars awesome.

I just test drove the jaguar f type and it's just a luxury Sedna wrapped in a really beautiful 2 seat convertible body...very boring to drive...and I test drove a 2013 boxster s with PDK and sport chrono and it was tempting at 50 large with 12 k miles..(MSRP was 83) and it was certified...thought about it but it was more fun to jump in my vette and drive off..

I would only recommend a 2009 cayman s and forget the 2012 model. They are the same car and most are barely driven...save the coin and just get the 09 to avoid the earlier IMS nonsense even though it's only 6 percent of production...who needs the hassle..the steering feel and mid engine turn in are good as is the PDK and sport chrono package...

Jmo

Good luck...

Thank you VERY MUCH!

CoW BOOSTER! is on SALE for a short while longer too!

Thanks!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

2009-2011 BMW M3
2013 Audi S4
2013 BMW 328xi M-Sport
2016 VW Golf R or GTI
2015 Subaru WRX
Old 01-30-2016, 08:12 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by White Out
996 Turbo
Awesome choice but not cheap to fix.

Originally Posted by Leon.
Can't go wrong with the Miata or C5 z06, but if you want to be a bit adventurous, the E39 M5 is a good choice provided you can find a clean example. To date the best sports sedan ever made.
I had an E39 M5, and it really is an all-time great car. Perfect combination of looks, feel, and sound. I walked into a store once and a big black dude who had watched me pull up said "now that's a MAN'S car". Best car review ever, spot on.

But also not cheap to fix.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

On sort of opposite ends of the spectrum the Mustang mentioned and an older well cared for M3 (with a good aftermarket warranty...don't leave home without it).
Had a late '90's M3 and was great for the 4 years we had it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Most Fun" for < ~$35K - Daily Driver