Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Looking for a Fun Daily to Replace my BRZ in the Spring...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Looking for a Fun Daily to Replace my BRZ in the Spring...

My 2013 Subaru BRZ will be paid of in April, so I am starting to think about what I want to replace it with. It's been a great little car, I got one of the first ones in the US way back in June, 2012. Not fast by any means, but reliable, fantastic handling, simple but ergonomic interior, good in winter and fuel efficient. As much as I have enjoyed it, I've been craving something new and I think it's time to move on.

My real love is in my signature. I've built that car over the past 7 years and created essentially my dream Corvette. I fortunately have a two car garage, but if I only had a one car garage and bought a new Z07, that would sit outside, not my C5. I also use this car as much as possible and will usually drive it work any dry day above freezing.

For my BRZ replacement, some background. I work from home and only do my 35 mile commute to the office once or twice per week on average. I never need to drive into the office during heavy snow, but whatever I buy will get a second set of wheels mounted with winter tires. I also have no kids, so I only need two seats and prefer a couple to a convertible or sedan. My fiance has a 2012 Grand Cherokee if we need to carry people anywhere. Budget is 50-70k.

Cars I'm considering:

CPO Porsche 981 Cayman S/GTS
- This is currently at the top of my list. I haven't driven one, but it basically seems like my BRZ, but better in every way. Plus Porsche's CPO program is supposed to be one of the best and I like the piece of mind with something so expensive to repair.

CPO Porsche 991 Carerra S - Would be a couple of years older than the Cayman to get it within my budget. Probably need to drive one to see if it really is that much better than the Cayman S. From reading the P-car forums, it seems many people admit to choosing the 911 based solely on history/status. Which I understand, but really am not that concerned with.

2007-2009 997.1 Turbo - This would be out of warranty, but absolutely awesome. Not sure if the risk of a giant repair bill is worth it or not. Another negative is lack of modern tech that the 991 or 981 would have. Not a deal breaker, but things like bluetooth streaming and satellite radio are big pluses in a daily driver. But again, it's a TURBO. And would also be the car most likely to hold it's value. In fact, I can see these 6spd Metzer turbo cars going up in value. I'm guessing they have just about bottomed out now at mid-high 60's.

2012-2014 Nissan GT-R - This is the odd-ball in my list. I like small, 6spd, pure driver's cars... but for some reason this thing keeps pulling me in and I can't really explain it?l... I have driven one a couple of times and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It checks all the daily driver boxes and I can probably get one with some warranty left. My worry is that I'll think it's awesome for like a week, then get bored of it due to the lack of a manual gearbox.

CPO BMW M4 or the new M2 - I'd probably lean towards the M2 between these two cars, but I'll definitely need to test drive them to see how much fun they really are to drive. They seem great on paper, but feel somewhat cold to me compared to the Porsches which I feel more passionate about.

Some may wonder why I didn't list the Stingray... Not that a comfy Stingray daily on winter tires wouldn't be a fun alternative, but I really enjoy owning cars that are very different from one another to get a completely unique experience when I drive it.

Anything else I should be considering? Very interested to hear opinions from others, especially anyone that has driven some of these cars. Thanks!!!

Bill
Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Billy

I would recommend a cayman s. I just test drove a 12 k mile 2013 boxster s and it was a cool everyday driver...if a bit tight inside. 2019 100k mile precertified warranty

I think you d get a kick out of it. The turn in and steering of the mid engine cayman s is impressive.

Porsche dealers are getting ready for the upcoming turbo 4 cylinder engines of the new 2017 model year ...sp keep that in mind as your negotiating a certified preowned 6 cylinder cayman s.

I liked driving the German mid engine sportscar.

Have fun and all your choices seem great.

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-08-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:27 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

997.1 turbo with a manual.

Go drive one, you'll be hooked. Then get an exhaust and tune, totally transforms the car into a monster. In the long run, it's the last manual 911 Turbo, so they should hold value quite well.

Last edited by White Out; 01-09-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

The only one that doesn't come with substantial cost of ownership or used car warranty woes are the BMW's....that'd be the likely direction I'd go. Also, I have to admit...I'm intrigued by the M2. I was looking at that car pretty closely...and it's really NEAR E36 wheels base and E36-E46 weight. I LOVE the M4's demeanor but the M2's are pretty sick and at the price you could do another "step up".

Honestly, coming from the BRZ, why bite off some kind of money machine. It's only going to displace what you've built in the Corvette. I'd absolutely go with the M for practicality reasons....that's just me though. I'd no doubt drive the M2 before deciding anything, that's for sure. Of course, the Porsche turbo is quite a machine to own....can almost call an instant icon.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-18-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:46 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
The only one that doesn't come with substantial cost of ownership or used car warranty woes are the BMW's....that'd be the likely direction I'd go. Also, I have to admit...I'm intrigued by the M2. I was looking at that car pretty closely...and it's really NEAR E36 wheels base and E36-E46 weight. I LOVE the M4's demeanor but the M2's are pretty sick and at the price you could do another "step up".

Honestly, coming from the BRZ, why bite off some kind of money machine. It's only going to displace what you've built in the Corvette. I'd absolutely go with the M for practicality reasons....that's just me though. I'd no doubt drive the M2 before deciding anything, that's for sure. Of course, the Porsche turbo is quite a machine to own....can almost call an instant icon.
You don't think the BMW comes with substantial cost of ownership...?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MK4 Supra Turbo.

-Alex
Old 01-20-2016, 03:54 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Coming from a BRZ:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...icleCode=MX5is

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ode=MX5#design

Last edited by raff; 01-20-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
You don't think the BMW comes with substantial cost of ownership...?
Certain BMW's certainly...the M2 and lower level cars, not nearly as much. Resale of those cars don't demand maintenance schedules be met, unlike Porsche buyers. A BMW M2/4 will certainly cost more than a brz, but it's no Porsche Turbo either.

As a person who brokered performance cars out of our former facility, I speak from experience not assumption. I also own 3 BMW's currently and have owned Porsches in the past.

It's my opinion based upon my experience. I'm also not talking about 7 series cars or some extremes.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:06 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
MK4 Supra Turbo.

-Alex
Better be a cash buyer or have a guaranteed loan...no bank financing those things. Plus...those are collectible but not really a great driver car versus a modern BMW. Not to mention so many are slutted out...
Old 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Better be a cash buyer or have a guaranteed loan...no bank financing those things. Plus...those are collectible but not really a great driver car versus a modern BMW. Not to mention so many are slutted out...
LOL slutted out, yeah that is about right. But if you buy one, more than likely the **** mods are pretty tasteful. Right about the loans though but the OP seems to be a baller.

-Alex
Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Not practical, but I'd go for the 4C.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
LOL slutted out, yeah that is about right. But if you buy one, more than likely the **** mods are pretty tasteful. Right about the loans though but the OP seems to be a baller.

-Alex
I'm highly upset they've become synonymous with import drag racing...they are like the f*ckin Chevy Nova of the import world. I hate seeing the abundance of either body kitted F&F mods or the drag hillbilly's. Why can't anyone build a nicely balance, circuit monster that isn't all bodykit and bs.

I personally have my eyeballs on another MKIII myself. I think properly modded that's a fantastic machine. 7m is still plenty capable, car looks clean when stanced/wheeled properly. I remember seeing a MKIII club in Venice Beach one year...i was like Here's a pic of one I snapped real quick...just grabbed it off my fb.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

I'm highly upset they've become synonymous with import drag racing...they are like the f*ckin Chevy Nova of the import world. I hate seeing the abundance of either body kitted F&F mods or the drag hillbilly's. Why can't anyone build a nicely balance, circuit monster that isn't all bodykit and bs.

I personally have my eyeballs on another MKIII myself. I think properly modded that's a fantastic machine. 7m is still plenty capable, car looks clean when stanced/wheeled properly. I remember seeing a MKIII club in Venice Beach one year...i was like Here's a pic of one I snapped real quick...just grabbed it off my fb.

You had an NK3 as well!? MY brother! LOL. That was my first (sports) car. I'm not going to thread jack but, man that car was fun... when it worked LOL.

-Alex
Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Definitely man...that car f*ckin screams Japanese in my opinion...I LOVE the shape. I've been on the prowl for one over the past 7 months but I'm picky at this stage.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

If you are only driving 100 miles a week why not do a low mileage lease @7500 miles a year.

Often times I see at www.legendleasing.com excellent low mileage leases.

BMW m4 manual lease 10k miles per year zero down..900 bank fee 730 a month for the manual m4. 36 months

http://legendleasing.com/product/2015-BMW-M4

A lot of my friends orders cars from them and their lease rates are much less expensive than any dealer. They usually do a 600 dollar bank fee..tax and tags and first month payment. They deliver the car right to your door.

Just take their packages as displayed on the web site. Pick the car and the color and there is no negotiation on price.

With you getting married...or being engaged...a value priced lease would probably be smarter than a purchase of a second two seat coupe...

The best deal if you decide to purchase would be a very low mileage certified cayman s or 991 Porsche. The cayman s and boxster s was used as a vehicle to keep Macan buyers at bay waiting for the Macan to be delivered,

Figure 55 grand for a cayman s or boxster s models with under 10k miles and a warranty until 2019 and 100k miles...

I almost just bought a black boxster s loaded with an MSRP of 83 grand for 55 grand and it was a fun ride. I enjoyed it and I think you would as well. It would hold its value pretty well although I personally preferred the PDK tech ..it's pretty much world class...with the sport chrono package...test drive it before dismissing. The turbo 4 versions are coming so the 315 hp flat six is going to drop in value quickly....so work the dealer over to pay less than 50 or 55...

I think there is room to walk these cars down further for a better price.

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-23-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

First, thank you everyone for your input, it is appreciated. RC000E, your advice above was especially sound. Why spend a fortune to have something else that I will just end up not enjoying as much as my Vette. On a perfect day, I would still drive the Vette to work, even if I got a 997 Turbo, etc. Plus, extra cash will be good to keep my baby in tip-top condition at all times!

So, based on this, I put a deposit down on a Ford Focus RS yesterday. The reviews that came out last week really got me looking at this car, which I had originally dismissed due to it's looks. But honestly, for a car being driven everywhere, all year, it will be nice to not have a heart attack every time it gets a rock chip. Performance and driving experience will be excellent; I'm sure it'll be a beast through the twisties I take to work! I'm going to order white with the RS2 package and the black forged wheels. You can also order a second set of 18" RS wheel with PA4 snow tires direct from Ford for $2k, which is super cool. I got VERY lucky and found an open MSRP allocation at the first dealer I called. Now I wait impatiently until spring!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
First, thank you everyone for your input, it is appreciated. RC000E, your advice above was especially sound. Why spend a fortune to have something else that I will just end up not enjoying as much as my Vette. On a perfect day, I would still drive the Vette to work, even if I got a 997 Turbo, etc. Plus, extra cash will be good to keep my baby in tip-top condition at all times!

So, based on this, I put a deposit down on a Ford Focus RS yesterday. The reviews that came out last week really got me looking at this car, which I had originally dismissed due to it's looks. But honestly, for a car being driven everywhere, all year, it will be nice to not have a heart attack every time it gets a rock chip. Performance and driving experience will be excellent; I'm sure it'll be a beast through the twisties I take to work! I'm going to order white with the RS2 package and the black forged wheels. You can also order a second set of 18" RS wheel with PA4 snow tires direct from Ford for $2k, which is super cool. I got VERY lucky and found an open MSRP allocation at the first dealer I called. Now I wait impatiently until spring!
Wow...nice selection...bet it'll be a lot of fun...and hopefully, when you have the 'itch' a few years from now, we'll still have a great selection of new performance cars to drive, not autonomous.

Congratulations!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Thanks for. Filling us in on what you chose.

Best of luck with your new incoming ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Fun Daily to Replace my BRZ in the Spring...

Quick Reply: Looking for a Fun Daily to Replace my BRZ in the Spring...