Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Are Corvette c6s better cars than Ferraris and Lamborghinis

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:17 AM
RedSkull3000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are Corvette c6s better cars than Ferraris and Lamborghinis

Well I am a Corvette fan, and am saving up to buy a 2005 c6. I know I am much more likely in my life to get a Corvette than any Ferrari or Lamborghini. But would a Corvette be a better car to have than a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo?, would you keep your corvette over a exotic sports car like those cars?

For some reason if I had the money, for a Lamborghini or Ferrari. I would buy a Corvette to save a lot of money.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:48 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

As....interesting of a question this is....I can actually tell ya a story. It's hard to say what "better" means. Better in terms of value, resale, quality, comfort...lots of things can be "better". I get what you're sayin though, so listen here.

Let me give you the quick bits...the quick highlights:

1. There is more to owning a Ferrari or Lambo than the cost to buy. There is also a cost to own. If you don't maintain these cars, directly according to their maintenance schedule, you'll lose resale value...and fast. Clutch in my Lambo was 13k bucks to change...and it wasn't even bad. Clutch in my Z06...1400 bucks and I changed it myself.
2. Specialty shops and dealers, unless you live in LA or Miami, or some other fortunate area, aren't down the street. Maintenance and/or repair often means shipping the car, waiting for parts, etc.
3. You're always worried about balancing your level of enjoyment, with the amount of mileage you put on the car, versus how much value you're consuming.
4. In the discussion versus Corvette...there are two types of guys...guys who want to go fast, and guys who want to be noticed/admired. Most people buy an "exotic" as a symbol of their wealth, to be noticed, etc.

For all the reasons above, as well as having owned and learned those lessons from having 3 Ferrari's and a Lambo, I'll tell you...unless you can afford to buy a F430 and set it on fire to cook yourself smores...just cause you can...don't buy one. In other words, don't buy a Ferrari if you can only afford to...buy one if you can afford 5 or more. Only then will you allow yourself to ENJOY a Ferrari or Lambo.

So, quickly let me tell ya. First of all, I didn't own an 430, I owned some slightly older machines...same with the Lambo (98 Diablo). During that time I owned my Z06 also. I can tell you 100%, I preferred driving the Z06 and here's why:

1. GM likely spends more money developing weather seals for a car than Ferrari spends prototyping the entire interior of a 430. GM does have the advantage of MASS production as well as meeting a certain quality standard. Ferraris and Lambos...their interior stuff is nice, but give it a minute and it'll all go to sh*t soon enough.
2. Corvette C6=Reliable. Sure...all cars have their quirks, but in the world of performance and raw ability...there isn't many cars out there that do what a Corvette does, and still be pretty reliable while doing it.
3. No one was always taking pictures of me, hanging out there cars, asking me where I work, how much I make, how much I own, if I sell drugs, if I love ******, if I own ******, if I can loan them ******, etc.
4. Corvettes definitely represent a "deal" in my opinion. If you balance dollars vs capability, the Corvette ranks high...that's all there is to it. Do the Ferrari's sound glorious, does a V12 Lambo shake your guts in very best ways...YES. So, what I suggest is, get your money and BUY the Corvette for yourself, and then use a little sidecash to drive a 458 or Lambo at those exotic driving experiences that go to various racetracks. Everyone should FEEL a Lambo V12 or Ferrari Flat 12...hear a Ferrari V8 behind their head, etc. I wont own another though until I can run a 458 into the river when I'm done with it and not give a rats ***.

That answer your question?

Last edited by RC000E; 01-08-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Heres a thought.

You just won a 300 million dollar lottery. Are you running into your local chevy dealership to pick up a corvette or are you heading over to the nearest Lamborghini dealership?

Ya If i had lots of money i would have both ferrari and corvette in my collection. the corvette is the workings mans car. I am in my 20s, and already have a c7 corvette. they are cheaper to get,cheaper to insure, cheaper to fix etc..

Owning a ferrari or lambo is more special. I hope to one day get one. corvettes are good enough for me though.

oh and if i won the lotto i am buying a lambo first thing!

Last edited by MikeLsx; 01-08-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSkull3000
Well I am a Corvette fan, and am saving up to buy a 2005 c6. I know I am much more likely in my life to get a Corvette than any Ferrari or Lamborghini. But would a Corvette be a better car to have than a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo?, would you keep your corvette over a exotic sports car like those cars?

For some reason if I had the money, for a Lamborghini or Ferrari. I would buy a Corvette to save a lot of money.

Yes
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Better is totally subjective, but post #2 is about as good of an answer that could be given.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:56 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
As....interesting of a question this is....I can actually tell ya a story. It's hard to say what "better" means. Better in terms of value, resale, quality, comfort...lots of things can be "better". I get what you're sayin though, so listen here.

1. There is more to owning a Ferrari or Lambo than the cost to buy. There is also a cost to own. If you don't maintain these cars, directly according to their maintenance schedule, you'll lose resale value...and fast. Clutch in my Lambo was 13k bucks to change...and it wasn't even bad. Clutch in my Z06...1400 bucks and I changed it myself.
2. Specialty shops and dealers, unless you live in LA or Miami, or some other fortunate area, aren't down the street. Maintenance and/or repair often means shipping the car, waiting for parts, etc.
3. You're always worried about balancing your level of enjoyment, with the amount of mileage you put on the car, versus how much value you're consuming.
4. In the discussion versus Corvette...there are two types of guys...guys who want to go fast, and guys who want to be noticed/admired. Most people buy an "exotic" as a symbol of their wealth, to be noticed, etc.

For all the reasons above, as well as having owned and learned those lessons from having 3 Ferrari's and a Lambo, I'll tell you...unless you can afford to buy a F430 and set it on fire to cook yourself smores...just cause you can...don't buy one. In other words, don't buy a Ferrari if you can only afford to...buy one if you can afford 5 or more. Only then will you allow yourself to ENJOY a Ferrari or Lambo.

So, quickly let me tell ya. First of all, I didn't own an 430, I owned some slightly older machines...same with the Lambo (98 Diablo). During that time I owned my Z06 also. I can tell you 100%, I preferred driving the Z06 and here's why:

1. GM likely spends more money developing weather seals for a car than Ferrari spends prototyping the entire interior of a 430. GM does have the advantage of MASS production as well as meeting a certain quality standard. Ferraris and Lambos...their interior stuff is nice, but give it a minute and it'll all go to sh*t soon enough.
2. Corvette C6=Reliable. Sure...all cars have their quirks, but in the world of performance and raw ability...there isn't many cars out there that do what a Corvette does, and still be pretty reliable while doing it.
3. No one was always taking pictures of me, hanging out there cars, asking me where I work, how much I make, how much I own, if I sell drugs, if I love ******, if I own ******, if I can loan them ******, etc.
4. Corvettes definitely represent a "deal" in my opinion. If you balance dollars vs capability, the Corvette ranks high...that's all there is to it. Do the Ferrari's sound glorious, does a V12 Lambo shake your guts in very best ways...YES. So, what I suggest is, get your money and BUY the Corvette for yourself, and then use a little sidecash to drive a 458 or Lambo at those exotic driving experiences that go to various racetracks. Everyone should FEEL a Lambo V12 or Ferrari Flat 12...hear a Ferrari V8 behind their head, etc. I wont own another though until I can run a 458 into the river when I'm done with it and not give a rats ***.

Laminate this right here and tape it to your bathroom mirror.

if I love ******, if I own ******, if I can loan them ******, etc.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

RC. Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed post. Some people have no idea as to the real ownership experience of an exotic.
Which is exactly why I simply said.......Yes
Old 01-08-2016, 05:12 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Better is totally subjective, but post #2 is about as good of an answer that could be given.

Around 1986, A couple friends and I were out riding bikes. I rode a GSXR 1100. We came to a stop light where a Ferrari 328 was sitting in the next lane. It was almost dark, a friend on a ninja 1000r asked the guy in the 328 if he wanted to try a little light to light run. The guy in the Ferrari just laughed and said no thanks. My friend said "why not, afraid you will get beat?" Guy in the Ferrari says "no, your bike may be faster but at the end of the day, I pull into my garage in a Ferrari while you are still on a rice rocket."

That pretty much said it all.

Last edited by solid dobe; 01-08-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:50 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Name:  dhMeAzK.gif
Views: 11
Size:  1.82 MB

Old 01-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers

Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by White Out
I completely disagree with this.
You can disagree with it all you want, all that means is you don't mind burning through cash. I did that too...which is why I was belly up years later

Fact is, if you drive a 12cyl Lambo freely, accumulating miles like you would a Corvette, your cost per mile is tremendous by comparison, either via maintenance, depreciation or both. I know guys who own Lambo's and don't own a house. Sure, they enjoy the lambo and the ****** and all the attention, but they're cash poor overall.

I won't own an exotic again unless the payment/maintenance/insurance/loss of value combined equals 10% or less of my monthly income. I also would only buy a car fresh past the most recent maintenance, and sell it halfway to the next. I think if you turn them over quick enough you can beat the system...to a point, and minimize your loss. I'm a unique type of car guy though...the flash does nothing for me. I drove those cars for the drivetrain only. I hate people looking at me, dancing around like fools, gawking and sh*t...most annoying thing ever. I had this black dude pull up to me with his hands on his cheeks screaming like Macauly Caulkin in Home Alone. I had another brother C-walkin out into the street holding his nuts...I can't handle that sh*t...made me take it home and get my C4S.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-09-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
Old 01-09-2016, 12:52 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I owned a 2006 Gallardo and 2008 Z06. The Z was better in many respects. Lighter, better power to weight ratio, quicker on track. Both were super reliable. The G IMO sounded a bit better with a very nice V10 that does not simultaneously fire cylinders like the Viper. The G was better looking, more rare and obviously more exotic. With AWD it launched better and was brilliant in the rain. I loved tracking it in the rain. The G is done depreciating. But I will say that I sold the G well before the Z and of the two I think more about getting and keeping the last of the C6Zs because I find the new C7Z to be a big disappointment. Much heavier, catering to the Corvette faithful that blindly think power is the key to all performance, and prone to overheating when driven on track by a skillful driver. I wanted to want a C7Z but no more. I bought a 991GT3 that has curious appreciated and is magnificent on track and can be hammered relentlessly with no cooling or brake issues. For more track focus I have on order the new ACR Extreme Aero, hoping that it truly is capable of pace and long stints on track.

It's all subjective, and I get the aspirational desire to own the unattainable Ferrari and Lambo and others, but just because something costs more does not make it better and once you have had a chance to drive a broader spectrum the car becomes less a symbol of achievement and reward to yourself for hard work. When you can be more objective about the car's attributes, your focus will change more to the intrinsic attributes of the car and less the badge.

A final example: my most recent purchase is a 2016 Miata. The 2300 lb weight, well designed chassis, perfect gearbox (best manual I have ever driven) result in driving dynamics that are second only to the discontinued Lotus Elise. Right now, I could drive a 991 GT3, MP4-12C, Viper GTS, Scuderia, Elise, CTSV Wagon, and others. My first choice is the Miata and I don't give a rats *** if the ignorant and prejudice call it a chick car or whatever.

Last edited by kverges; 01-09-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
I owned a 2006 Gallardo and 2008 Z06. The Z was better in many respects. Lighter, better power to weight ratio, quicker on track. Both were super reliable. The G IMO sounded a bit better with a very nice V10 that does not simultaneously fire cylinders like the Viper. The G was better looking, more rare and obviously more exotic. With AWD it launched better and was brilliant in the rain. I loved tracking it in the rain. The G is done depreciating. But I will say that I sold the G well before the Z and of the two I think more about getting and keeping the last of the C6Zs because I find the new C7Z to be a big disappointment. Much heavier, catering to the Corvette faithful that blindly think power is the key to all performance, and prone to overheating when driven on track by a skillful driver. I wanted to want a C7Z but no more. I bought a 991GT3 that has curious appreciated and is magnificent on track and can be hammered relentlessly with no cooling or brake issues. For more track focus I have on order the new ACR Extreme Aero, hoping that it truly is capable of pace and long stints on track.

It's all subjective, and I get the aspirational desire to own the unattainable Ferrari and Lambo and others, but just because something costs more does not make it better and once you have had a chance to drive a broader spectrum the car becomes less a symbol of achievement and reward to yourself for hard work. When you can be more objective about the car's attributes, your focus will change more to the intrinsic attributes of the car and less the badge.

A final example: my most recent purchase is a 2016 Miata. The 2300 lb weight, well designed chassis, perfect gearbox (best manual I have ever driven) result in driving dynamics that are second only to the discontinued Lotus Elise. Right now, I could drive a 991 GT3, MP4-12C, Viper GTS, Scuderia, Elise, CTSV Wagon, and others. My first choice is the Miata and I don't give a rats *** if the ignorant and prejudice call it a chick car or whatever.
Lets be honest here. You dont need a 300k Lamborghini or ferrari to get a great drivers car. Hell i bet a cayman GT4 is a better drivers car than the new huracan lambo. You also dont need Lamborghini to do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. You can buy a GTR for that.

owning a Lamborghini/Ferrari is more about the street presence, bragging rights, and the sound of a real engine. Which to a lot of people is really appealing(my self including). But i am not about to buy a used Lamborghini out of warranty. I also wont park my Lamborghini at a cheap apartment/house. until a have or make a lot of money its going to be sub 100k cars for sure.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 01-09-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I daily drove a Murci in 2011, took it cross-country a couple times, drove it whenever/wherever I wanted and got rid of the car in 2013 for a profit. That profit more than paid for maintenance costs, including a clutch. I lost money on my Corvette and logged fewer miles.

A lot of people buy Ferrari/Lambo and sell before it needs maintenance, which is why a car with low owners and high mileage is a better buy than high owners and less mileage. It's ******, but can be done.
Whoa whoa whoa though...that example you gave is out of bounds a bit. 2011 was a HORRID year for exotic sales...that was PURE buyer market at that time. Of course you bought a Murci, drove it and profited in 2013, TONS of guys did. I was caught up in the wash of 2009-2011, owning these cars that I couldn't resell. That was an exception for sure. I sold cars at prices that'd make you sick...I still cry myself to sleep about some of them...lol.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I wont own another though until I can run a 458 into the river when I'm done with it and not give a rats ***.
When this day comes, give me a call and I will meet you down by the river.

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:25 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

2009-2011 were great or horrible years depending on what side.

Drove another Murci in 2014 for basically free. My current LP640, I can easily sell for $100k more than I paid a year ago. Point is, be smart about what you buy and you won't lose your shorts in cost per mile.
A detailed explanation of this process plz?

Get notified of new replies

To Are Corvette c6s better cars than Ferraris and Lamborghinis

Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSkull3000

How old are you?

-Alex
Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

In general: don't buy the cheapest car, buy the best car at a reasonable price; decide how much you're going to drive (if you're going to add 20k miles to a car, don't pay a premium for a 2k mile car); look for rare and popular options; but most importantly, watch the market to see what it's doing (going up, down or stagnant).
You're operating along a different mentality then many buyers/owners do. I've maintained and brokered a lot of cars for various guys, and they sit on them too long. Driving these cars, as you say, CAN be affordable, if you are savvy in the market.

Fact is though, most of these guys are buying one car, keeping it for years, polishing it, etc...at least the ones I've worked with. They avoid driving it to retain this value, yet lose value for other reasons.

I've made some tremendous deals, and mostly through the years of economic failure when people bailed out of things. How you're finding 100k of space in a Lambo though...idk man...that's a first I've ever heard, and I know some of the best in the business with 5 million+ in inventory at any given time. I've done 25-40 on stuff and drove it, but never 100.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
How old are you?

-Alex