Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

trying to rule out porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 PM
nethole
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default trying to rule out porsche

I spent today at a porsche dealer, looking at a Cayman S turn in (ptv, sports crono, pdk with paddle shifters). Also looked the new turbo 4 cayman models. And damn, I was hoping I could get rid of the porsche urge. But, no, there's the little nagging feeling that the 'classyness' of the porsche will also be nagging me. Can the 'classyness' be eliminated by just picking up a 2015 C7 A8, and enjoying the crap out of it?
Old 09-03-2016, 04:36 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

If you're like me, then no. Once I get a car stuck in my head, only that car will satisfy me.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Caymans are really nice, just cost about twice as much for the same level of performance as a Corvette.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

A few months ago I was given a Cayman S as a "loaner" for 2 days when my 911TT was in for service. My SA hooked me up as the car wasn't really a loaner but was a new car demo.
It was an S with a 6-speed manual.
Neat car and very fun. They're small and very engaging to drive. The car seemed analog to me and even though they don't have much power the rev happy engine, balance and toss-ability of the car made it enjoyable.
Nowhere near the storage of a C7, or the horsepower or overall performance and I'm not sure there is any major delta in quality of the car as a whole. But they are pretty cool.
S.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I was interested in the jaguar f type...and the Porsche ...

I laughed at the jaguar as I test drove it...I knew right then and there...the Porsche was a little more tempting....and a much better sports car than the jaguar convertible..

Go Drive the Porsche then drive the corvette....you ll know very quickly which one you want to own.

Turn in on the little mid engine Porsche is impressive...

Still the performance overall for the corvette did the trick for me. I knew right away.

Good luck deciding as they are both great sports cars...

The jaguars a Buick in sports car sheet metal....imo
Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Imo, when I get this itch I end up back w good dependable American V8 torque. But when I can, with a clear conscience, buy the big dog, Turbo S, then I will take the leap. I don't think the Cayman, Boxster or Macan would be satisfying and I've spent time in all 3. The 911, Cayenne or Panamera Turbo's would satisfy.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:42 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by nethole
I spent today at a porsche dealer, looking at a Cayman S turn in (ptv, sports crono, pdk with paddle shifters). Also looked the new turbo 4 cayman models. And damn, I was hoping I could get rid of the porsche urge. But, no, there's the little nagging feeling that the 'classyness' of the porsche will also be nagging me. Can the 'classyness' be eliminated by just picking up a 2015 C7 A8, and enjoying the crap out of it?
What are you trading in?

Just traded my ZR1 for a GT4. I wanted a lightweight, mid-engine manual and love the feel, fit, finish, steering, handling of my 991 GT3.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:36 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

718 S with a tune should be a fairly interesting car (991.2 S also.)
Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I vote you test drive a 718s with PDK and both a manual and automatic c7 z51 ...maybe even a left over c7 z06 in both versions...

Throw in a jaguar f type supercharged v8 as well.

I did something similar and for me the corvette was the preferred choice...

The dealers are usually pretty close to each other so knock it off in one sunny afternoon...give them your license and go for the test drive and leave to go to the next dealership. Don't get involved with cutting a deal etc at this point..

Fwiw...the 718s with PDK and a few options really comes in higher priced than a 2016 c6 z06 2LZ.....so please realize a corvette z51 would come I. Quite a bit less than most 718 s with PDK and a few options...that said...

The 718s is a great choice too...

Do what I did and call and make an appointment to test drive each brand...

You ll know which is right for you.

I do recommend the 718s over the previous flat six if you go the Porsche route.

Have fun...test drive each...it's your money...make the dealers of each brand earn your potiential business.

Jmo

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-07-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To trying to rule out porsche

Quick Reply: trying to rule out porsche